The Student Room Group

Official Year 13 Chat 2023-24

Scroll to see replies

Agreed on Mariner's Apartment Complex and VB, think I'd go with Doin' Time for my third. Can't say I'm a true Lana stan because I fell asleep listening to DYKTATUOB :redface:
Original post by Castrovalva
Have you ever read the books the Trainspotting films are based on? I think they're great. I love NFR!!!

I've read the book trainspotting and i really enjoyed it though it's hard to understand the scottish dialect a bit. i need to read the other books though
How much revision has everyone done over the holidays?
I've been aiming for three hours a day. This week I'm doing about 4.5 though to prep for a similar (but far from accurate) experience to college. It's not too bad with breaks in-between, but it helps when you like your subjects haha
Original post by flowersinmyhair

I've done all my summer homework but other than that I've done no other revision in any of my subjects. (to be fair i still remember most of the stuff from my summer mocks).
I have done revision for the TMUA though (entrance exam) for maybe 1-2 hours each day

i've had to do like 3+ hours a day due to missing a term of school, along with prepping for ucat
Reply 26

revision? what revision (i still haven't completed summer hw due in 2 days)
Original post by joe_y.i
revision? what revision (i still haven't completed summer hw due in 2 days)

I was quite fortunate that I wasn't set very much summer homework (we were advised to revise though, which I have done some)
Reply 28

I've finished my summer hw but thats about it. I'd also been preparing for the ucat so I didn't do too much.
I swear someone told me Cambridge is renovating their admissions exams from 2024/5+, is that right? To be fair, I wasn't fully listening at the time haha
Hiya

I'm michaela and I'm studying music, media and religious studies I'd say religious studies is the hardest for me as there's way too much essay writing!
I'm still undecided but I want to apply to either Primary Education or Film Studies
If I apply to teaching ill have an interview which will involve some maths and English language skills testing
My favourite food at the moment is naan bread its soo yum
After year 13 I'm looking forward to going on a post A level trip with my friends and a trip to mexico with my family! and getting a job of course
I play the saxophone and in my spare time I make clothes. My favourite things to do on the weekends are binge watching movies or a tv series (my fav genre is rom-coms)

Good luck to everyone this year! :smile:
Original post by michaela002
Hiya

I'm michaela and I'm studying music, media and religious studies I'd say religious studies is the hardest for me as there's way too much essay writing!
I'm still undecided but I want to apply to either Primary Education or Film Studies
If I apply to teaching ill have an interview which will involve some maths and English language skills testing
My favourite food at the moment is naan bread its soo yum
After year 13 I'm looking forward to going on a post A level trip with my friends and a trip to mexico with my family! and getting a job of course
I play the saxophone and in my spare time I make clothes. My favourite things to do on the weekends are binge watching movies or a tv series (my fav genre is rom-coms)

Good luck to everyone this year! :smile:

Ahhh a fellow sax fan!!! What sort of sax do you play?
Hi!
I'm currently studying English Language, English Literature and Spanish. I'm hoping to do something based around linguistics; I'm applying for subjects such as Medieval and Modern Languages, as it's the culture and literature I want to explore, instead of business or tourism. I'm not very good at either haha. As far as I know, none of my unis have entrance exams (beyond a small interview for admission) but I'm aware that the MLAT exists for Oxford, so who knows? My favourite food is a tough one; Instead, I'll say my favourite drink is peppermint tea! After University, I'd like to either teach English to non-native (adult) speakers, or maybe translate. I really don't mind. I'm learning the saxophone, I love to read, write, and listen to music or spoken word. One day, I'd like to get something published. Can't wait to get to know you all! What's everyone's favourite book/film/album/author?

that's great that you're learning the saxophone! How are you finding it so far? I can't pick a favourite film but I do really like Bridget Jones Diary. What's yours?
Ahhh a fellow sax fan!!! What sort of sax do you play?

I play Alto! How about you? Do you play Jazz Classical or both?
I play Alto too! I started with jazz (it's always been my first love) but I'm slowly getting into classical. When I'm better, I'd like to practice some of my favourite pop/rock tunes. It's been my dream to play a Bowie sax tune for years haha. What about you?
Original post by michaela002
I play Alto! How about you? Do you play Jazz Classical or both?

What grade ability would you say you are?
Original post by oliviapope1
Woo-hoo!!
We've finally reached the final year of our further education!

How are you all feeling? Scared, nervous, excited?

Year 13 can truly be a nerve-racking experience but this thread has been created to encourage each other to get through the lows and celebrate the highs.

Here are some questions to introduce ourselves:
-What A-Level subjects are you studying?
-What course are you thinking of applying for?
-Do you have to take any entrance exams?
-Favourite food?
-What are you looking forward to doing after year 13?
-Hobbies and interests?

Here's to a successful year ahead of us!
Work hard and look after yourselves, we can do this!!!

I can't believe I'm starting year 13:confused:

I am doing maths, FM, german and physics but I'm dropping physics
I'm applying for maths
I have to take the MAT and the TMUA - I don't actually have to take both, but the unis I'm applying to prefer different ones
Fav food has got to be spag bol
I'm excited to do a bit of travelling next summer, that's all I've got planned
Hobbies? probs reading, although I haven't really found the time with all the uni stuff to do lol
Reply 37
Original post by oliviapope1
Woo-hoo!!
We've finally reached the final year of our further education!

How are you all feeling? Scared, nervous, excited?

Year 13 can truly be a nerve-racking experience but this thread has been created to encourage each other to get through the lows and celebrate the highs.

Here are some questions to introduce ourselves:
-What A-Level subjects are you studying?
-What course are you thinking of applying for?
-Do you have to take any entrance exams?
-Favourite food?
-What are you looking forward to doing after year 13?
-Hobbies and interests?

Here's to a successful year ahead of us!
Work hard and look after yourselves, we can do this!!!

for the last time :frown:,

I’m studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths. Although I may drop further maths later in the year.

I’m in the middle of applying for medicine.

Just did my UCAT and go a pretty low score so I’m hoping to pull through in the BMAT.

PIZZA. Self explanatory.

I’m such a boring person lol. I like gardening, painting and I’m also learning a new language. :smile:
Original post by Z_K
for the last time :frown:,

I’m studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths. Although I may drop further maths later in the year.

I’m in the middle of applying for medicine.

Just did my UCAT and go a pretty low score so I’m hoping to pull through in the BMAT.

PIZZA. Self explanatory.

I’m such a boring person lol. I like gardening, painting and I’m also learning a new language. :smile:

What language are you learning? And where are you learning it?
I am learning Spanish on Duolingo and currently have an 148 day streak :smile:
Original post by reubenn05
would you rather do medicine or engineering ?? sunderland could be a med option for you, if you have lots of volunteering/wex.

I'm not sure
I want to do engineering but I don't want to regret not doing med

Sunderland is a good one tho I'll put it on my list thanks

Quick Reply

Latest