The Student Room Group

Official Year 13 Chat 2023-24

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by missling40
How much does your school charge for the TMUA? I'm taking it for Econ for Cambridge and my school charges £120, but my friends' schools charge £78 and £103

I haven't been told the school's price yet, and don't think I ever will be since I receive a bursary that pays for this kind of thing. I don't believe my school charged anyone anything last year, but we also have an incredibly low volume of people applying to things with admissions tests so it's probably not as much of a burden on them as it would be at a school that has many admissions tested applicants a year.
hey! I study math, biology, geography and aim to take an undergrad in marine biology (or something similar)
Original post by Evil Homer
Just tagging in some of our new Year 13's who might want to jump in and say hello in this thread and get involved nice and early :smile:

NewYr13

hello :smile: :smile:
Original post by glutennacht
hello :smile: :smile:

What are you studying at the moment?
Reply 84
Original post by lattae :p
I'm doing OCR A bio and Edexcel chem 😭

how are you finding biology, because am struggling
Original post by miya2905
Hi I study physics maths further maths and bio

I wanted to ask a question with regards to circular motion and I didn’t know where to ask this question in order to get a response so:

How do you explain why a car skids of the road when it travels at high speed at a curve or roundabout in an a level physics explanation and what does banking do?

if a car is going too fast the forward thrust motion can overcome the frictional force providing the centripetal force, the frictional centripetal force must be above a certain value to keep the car moving in a circle

banking of a curve adds a component of the vehicle's weight to the centripetal force so the friction isn't just working by itself, the total centripetal force is greater so there's less chance of a skid :smile:
Original post by oliviapope1
Woo-hoo!!
We've finally reached the final year of our further education!

How are you all feeling? Scared, nervous, excited?

Year 13 can truly be a nerve-racking experience but this thread has been created to encourage each other to get through the lows and celebrate the highs.

Here are some questions to introduce ourselves:
-What A-Level subjects are you studying?
-What course are you thinking of applying for?
-Do you have to take any entrance exams?
-Favourite food?
-What are you looking forward to doing after year 13?
-Hobbies and interests?

Here's to a successful year ahead of us!
Work hard and look after yourselves, we can do this!!!

Hello everyone! I am Emmanuella from London!

1) Psychology, Sociology, Spanish
2) Linguistics
3) No
4) Veryyyy hard question - bit traditional but pizza :biggrin:
5) I am looking to making new friends and having a lovely summer!
6) I have really been enjoying reading lately - i find it really calms me :smile:
Reply 87
Hi, I'm in S6 (Scottish Year 13 equivalent). I'm currently pushing myself hard (while trying to have fun) because I just moved to scotland a few months ago. I currently take five Highers - English, RMPS, History, Application of Mathematics and Modern Studies (yes, I'm crashing all five of them). I hope I don't fail miserably as my family has put alot of faith in me 😅.

I'm looking to study law and a language at my dream university, Edinburgh. Hopefully I get in (or not). I've also decided to apply to Aberdeen, Glasgow Caledonian, Edinburgh Napier and Strathclyde Universities.
I really hope to get into Edinburgh 😅

I'm a freelance writer, I absolutely love writing. I play the flute and the guitar, I speak Korean (self taught) and I'm currently learning Spanish. I love listening to Marc Demarco, Zerobaseone, WizKid, Harry Styles, Straykids and recently started listening to Ateez. Honestly, I listen to anything that sounds good.

Extracurriculars I have partook in, In my country (where I migrated from) - Debate, Writing Competitions, Honours Society, Girl Child Advocate, French Club, Press Club - Sub Editor, Senior Prefect, School Sanitary Officer and more.

I currently volunteer and do M.C.

In my free time, I like to watch kdramas and read webtoons (lore olympus is my favourite rn)

That's all thank you.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone! I am Emmanuella from London!

1) Psychology, Sociology, Spanish
2) Linguistics
3) No
4) Veryyyy hard question - bit traditional but pizza :biggrin:
5) I am looking to making new friends and having a lovely summer!
6) I have really been enjoying reading lately - i find it really calms me :smile:

Aaaaaa a fellow linguistics fan! What have you been reading lately?
Woo-hoo!!

Year 13 can truly be a nerve-racking experience but this thread has been created to encourage each other to get through the lows and celebrate the highs.

-Favourite food?
-Hobbies and interests?

HI I'm Demi.
I am studying Biology, Spanish and Business. Don't know what course I am applying for.
Don't know about entrance exams. Favourite food- Chocolate
After yr 13- no idea
Hobbies- listening to music Rita Ora especially, and playing with Syd my 4 year old fox red labrador
Original post by Demi.Mountford
HI I'm Demi.
I am studying Biology, Spanish and Business. Don't know what course I am applying for.
Don't know about entrance exams. Favourite food- Chocolate
After yr 13- no idea
Hobbies- listening to music Rita Ora especially, and playing with Syd my 4 year old fox red labrador

how are you finding biology? I did 11 core practicals last year and third day in I've been set another :s-smilie:
(edited 7 months ago)
My name is poppy
I study politics sociology and economics
Thinking of applying for international relations and organisations or political science for university in the Netherlands

Definitely looking forward to living in the Netherlands and not doing the torture that is economics anymore 😂
Reply 92
Original post by kebab06
Hey there!
I am studying Politics, Economics and German as i wanted to study law when i chose them. I am now aiming for something biomedical related so will be fast-tracking chemistry and biology after year 13. Courses that interest me are Biomed and Neuroscience, I might apply for medicine.

My favourite food varies but i had a really good Lahmacun the other day do probably that. I am looking forward to being more independent and studying what i am passionate about. My hobbies are working out, cooking and playing games. I am also interested in politics and like playing with my dog.

OMG I want to do neuroscience at uni aswell but I dont have any kind of work experience relating to it tbh I mostly have online work experience. I do biology, business and physics alevels. What do you mean by fast tracking chemistry and biology?
Original post by flowersinmyhair
how are you finding biology? I did 11 core practicals last year and third day in I've been set another :s-smilie:

Hard but I'll cope lol
Original post by Castrovalva
Aaaaaa a fellow linguistics fan! What have you been reading lately?

hiya! i've most recently been reading lingo: a language spotter's guide to europe by Gaston Dorren and also atomic habits by James Clear. i want to study linguistics at york, leeds and newcastle (still thinking about my other two) :biggrin:
Reply 95
Original post by Castrovalva
Hey! What did you do your EPQ on?

I did my EPQ on animals impact on peoples mental health and how that can be used in society
also guys, if you want study support for your A Level subjects, or you want to see who else is applying to your desired uni, check out these threads! bear in mind that of course you can create your own threads if your desired uni or A Level subject is not on the list <3

unis: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7392777
subject study groups: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7394798
- scroll down to find others who want to study the same subject as you in uni - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7392777

(btw, i'm just helping those who think they might find these threads useful!)

thanks guys - we are in this together <3 :biggrin:
Reply 97
Hey! I study Maths, Further maths, economics and biology AS! I want to go do Maths/Maths with economics at uni!
Reply 98
Hi, I'm Amber.

I'm currently studying maths, further maths, geography and french (a weird mix I know).
I'm looking to apply for data science as well as MORSE at university, as only 3 unis offer MORSE. I am yet to find someone else who has even heard of this course.
I can't lie the idea that I'm sitting my a-levels this year kind of terrifies me but I'm looking forward to the long summer afterwards.
In terms of outside of school, I play tennis and I love listening to music; I'm going to see Taylor swift in August!
Reply 99
Woo-hoo!!

-Favourite food?
-Hobbies and interests?

Hiii!!

I only went back to school yesterday so I guess I'm kind of late to this thread but

I'm studying English Literature, English Language and French (my fave is English Lit)
I'd really like to study English Lit at Durham so thankfully I don't need to take any entrance exams
I have a few favourite foods such as spaghetti carbonara and teriyaki chicken w/ rice
Honestly I'm looking forwards to a nice long summer after exams where I can just take it easy and maybe travel somewhere
For hobbies I do ballet but apart from that I honestly just sit in my room listening to music, I used to read loads but now I somehow can't find the time so I definitely need to get back into reading

And good luck with this next year everyone! I know it's probably going to be super intense and stressful at times but I'm sure we can all persevere through it!!!

Quick Reply

Latest