The Student Room Group

Where to get snow chains

I've been looking around for some snow chains (for shoes or boots) for the upcoming winter as we got a lot of snow last year which made walking around really difficult.

I was wondering where people have gotten any snow chains and have anywhere/ any brands they recommend (or anything that they don't recommend).

(For reference I am a UK size 5)

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by ApplePiePanda
I've been looking around for some snow chains (for shoes or boots) for the upcoming winter as we got a lot of snow last year which made walking around really difficult.

I was wondering where people have gotten any snow chains and have anywhere/ any brands they recommend (or anything that they don't recommend).

(For reference I am a UK size 5)

Thanks in advance!

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/shoe-chains/
Try here

Thanks, I'll have a look,

out of curiousity, have you ordered snow chains from them before?
Reply 3
Original post by ApplePiePanda
Thanks, I'll have a look,

out of curiousity, have you ordered snow chains from them before?

No. Never. Quite funny given that I live an hour away from the ski resorts in the Alps but we just seem to wear après ski boots.
For footwear? I have several different types,

Yaktrax Pro walking (the ones with spiral metal) are okay for gentle use, dont damage floors (much) but the rubber frame does eventually wear

Yaktrax Chains are good all rounders but not okay indoors (Diamond is even more spiky)

Camp Icemaster are very good but quite aggressive spikes for proper outdoor / hill use

Kahtoola Micro are the bees knees for mountain use, if you dont want full Crampon
(edited 7 months ago)
Thanks for the suggestions! And yes, I was looking for chains for footwear, mostly for casual use
Reply 6
Garden centres selll a product called Bosmere ice grippers that are made of black rubber with steel studs... also on ebay and amazon etc.

Or you could try hammer some 'segs' into the soles of your shoes. Blakeys is the leading brand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending