The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Have any questions for John Snow College?

Hi we are Caitlin and Charlotte, your 2024 reps for John Snow College! If you have any questions about the college, facilities, life in Durham or our student community please let us know!

C
Original post by JohnSnowCollege
Hi we are Caitlin and Charlotte, your 2024 reps for John Snow College! If you have any questions about the college, facilities, life in Durham or our student community please let us know!
C

hello! I recently got a law offer from Durham and was just about to rank my college preferences. I have my eyes on John Snow but I was just wondering how likely is a first year undergraduate going to get an en-suite room? And is the college site far from the town/ where law lectures usually take place? Thank you so much!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #1
hello! I recently got a law offer from Durham and was just about to rank my college preferences. I have my eyes on John Snow but I was just wondering how likely is a first year undergraduate going to get an en-suite room? And is the college site far from the town/ where law lectures usually take place? Thank you so much!

Hi! So firstly it is quite likely that you'll get put into an ensuite college if you put it as your preference. John Snow is an increasingly popular choice but we have about 400 ensuite rooms so you are more likely to get this over a townhouse which is shared between one other person.

Secondly, despite the myths John Snow is actually very close to the science site where the majority of first year lectures take place. It is about a 10 minute walk from college. To town is slightly longer (around 25 mins) but we have a bus that stops right outside college that will take you into town and the train station for 60p which is really convenient and runs every 30 mins.

Hope that helps,
Caitlin
Hi, from what date can you move into your college; looking at entry 2024, 1st year undergraduate…thanks 😊
Hi! So Freshers week this year will start on September 28th which will be the first move in day. Normally college splits it so half of the year move in on Saturday and the rest on Sunday! Events will also take place across these two days in the evening so you can get to know everyone!
C

im probably putting JS as my #1!, i have a couple questions if thats ok. 1. do the showers have good water pressure? lol 2. is getting shopping easy? bc i know its kinda far from town centre. thanks!
Hi! So firstly it is quite likely that you'll get put into an ensuite college if you put it as your preference. John Snow is an increasingly popular choice but we have about 400 ensuite rooms so you are more likely to get this over a townhouse which is shared between one other person.
Secondly, despite the myths John Snow is actually very close to the science site where the majority of first year lectures take place. It is about a 10 minute walk from college. To town is slightly longer (around 25 mins) but we have a bus that stops right outside college that will take you into town and the train station for 60p which is really convenient and runs every 30 mins.
Hope that helps,
Caitlin

Thank you so much! I’m definitely making John Snow my first choice.
Hi! So Freshers week this year will start on September 28th which will be the first move in day. Normally college splits it so half of the year move in on Saturday and the rest on Sunday! Events will also take place across these two days in the evening so you can get to know everyone!

Thank you for your response, much appreciated
C

Hi how close is John snow to the law faculty? Thanks
Original post by Conradstephens
im probably putting JS as my #1!, i have a couple questions if thats ok. 1. do the showers have good water pressure? lol 2. is getting shopping easy? bc i know its kinda far from town centre. thanks!

Amazing to hear! So firstly water pressure is actually really good in college, the showers get cleaned by an external company every term as well! Secondly, it's not a lie that Durham is super hilly but don't let that put you off! What lots of flats tend to do is split a tesco order (or equivalent) and carry it back to their flats which is a lot quicker than town lol but for any smaller bits town is only a bus ride away. Dragonville shopping estate in gilesgate is also an option but may require two buses or an uber. Hope that helps!
Original post by Conradstephens
Hi how close is John snow to the law faculty? Thanks

Hi! The Law Faculty is on the science site and is about a 10-15 min walk from my room in Snow, in first year most of your lectures will be dotted around the science site and TLC so you'll always be close by!
Amazing to hear! So firstly water pressure is actually really good in college, the showers get cleaned by an external company every term as well! Secondly, it's not a lie that Durham is super hilly but don't let that put you off! What lots of flats tend to do is split a tesco order (or equivalent) and carry it back to their flats which is a lot quicker than town lol but for any smaller bits town is only a bus ride away. Dragonville shopping estate in gilesgate is also an option but may require two buses or an uber. Hope that helps!

Thank you really helpful
C

Hello Caitlin and Charlotte, I have accepted Durham as my firm choice for university and was making my college shortlist. I quite like John Snow College but was wondering about the rooms available. They say they have townhouse and ensuite- I know there is a price difference between ensuite and a standard room, but what is the difference between a standard room and a townhouse room as both of them share bathrooms? Also, are the townhouse rooms nearby to the John Snow college itself, or completely separate? And can we specify to be put in either a townhouse room or do undergraduates get allocated mostly into the ensuite rooms? Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello Caitlin and Charlotte, I have accepted Durham as my firm choice for university and was making my college shortlist. I quite like John Snow College but was wondering about the rooms available. They say they have townhouse and ensuite- I know there is a price difference between ensuite and a standard room, but what is the difference between a standard room and a townhouse room as both of them share bathrooms? Also, are the townhouse rooms nearby to the John Snow college itself, or completely separate? And can we specify to be put in either a townhouse room or do undergraduates get allocated mostly into the ensuite rooms? Thanks.

Hi! So great to hear you're considering Snow as your college choice! For undergraduates there are two types of rooms available (as you stated) the Townhouse rooms and the Ensuite rooms. Both of these are located on the college site at Mount Oswald with the Townhouses being located behind the college building and the Ensuites located at the sides.

The difference between the two is that Ensuite rooms are located within 'cluster flats' wherein there are maximum 8 students to a flat and each bedroom has its own bathroom inside. Flats are situated across a single floor and each flat has its own kitchen. Townhouses have between 8 and 12 students to a house, there are 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on each floor with the kitchens located on the ground floor, this means each bathroom is shared between 2 students. However, as these bathrooms aren't contained within a students room our cleaners are able to go in and deep clean them several times a week!

Allocation to a townhouse or an ensuite can be specified at a later date; when the University has confirmed your allocation to John Snow our hardworking accommodation team along with the JCR will send out a survey that allows you to state your preferences for your flat (this can include things such as townhouse/ensuite, girls only, vegetarian, quiet, alcohol free etc.) they will then try their best to match you with similarly suited people and place you within your preferences (of course this cannot always be guaranteed but they try their best!)

Please let me know if you need any more information 🙂
-Charlotte

Quick Reply

Latest