The Student Room Group

GCSE French Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by StudentAJW
Hi, I struggle with speaking and listening so do you have any tips for those? Thank you

One thing for the general conversation, ask a question, but make sure it has a verb in. 'Tu aimes...?' is a great one, very simple, it's a lot better than 'et toi?' as it shows you know how to build a proper question. Ask it after one of the questions they ask you, so say they ask you 'What are the advantages of new technology?' then give your answer, then say smth like 'tu aimes ton portable?'. The conversations always sound a bit weird anyway, so it's fine if it doesn't sound exactly like what you'd say normally.
Another thing to consider is your tone. Try to end your sentences confidently, even if you don't feel confident. It shows the examiner you've finished your response and aren't scrabbling for something else to say. And raise your tone when asking the question, just to let them know that it's a question and you're not telling them that yes, the examiner does like their phone, which would be strange!
Hope this helps a little :smile:
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the GCSE French Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Hello! My name is Harry and i need help with French GCSE! I'm currently doing AQA exam board! My main strengths of the exam board is writing/translation as i think some topics that i am familiar with are perfect! I feel like listening and speaking are my worst ones for me as I am deaf but don't worry i'm doing to have a french translator to help me and i have a problem where i cannot think of something that comes straight to my head for speaking! Could you please help?
Original post by Harfan654
Hello! My name is Harry and i need help with French GCSE! I'm currently doing AQA exam board! My main strengths of the exam board is writing/translation as i think some topics that i am familiar with are perfect! I feel like listening and speaking are my worst ones for me as I am deaf but don't worry i'm doing to have a french translator to help me and i have a problem where i cannot think of something that comes straight to my head for speaking! Could you please help?

Hey !!! This might not help but I think we're about the same (I'm good at writing and reading - my exam board doesn't do translations but I think I'm alright at those) but my speaking is dodgy lol. I've tried using apps like memrise and their AI chat bot, but it seems like they don't work at all and aren't very natural (the convos are crazy scripted) - do you want to just like talk about random stuff in french lol? Might be a bit of help for both of us. I can PM you my insta if you're on there!
Original post by bicompton
Hey !!! This might not help but I think we're about the same (I'm good at writing and reading - my exam board doesn't do translations but I think I'm alright at those) but my speaking is dodgy lol. I've tried using apps like memrise and their AI chat bot, but it seems like they don't work at all and aren't very natural (the convos are crazy scripted) - do you want to just like talk about random stuff in french lol? Might be a bit of help for both of us. I can PM you my insta if you're on there!

I do have insta - 2harry_fan
Reply 24
Original post by emm4nuella
hello everyone! i am in year 13 but i achieved a grade 8 in GCSE French in 2022, so you can ask me some questions!!
What did you do to do well in the listening exam?
Hello GCSE French students! Just a quick note to let you all know that the brilliant @erin11 is setting up live study together sessions for all levels of French students. Click here to check it out and get involved!
Original post by Pwca
Hello GCSE French students! Just a quick note to let you all know that the brilliant @erin11 is setting up live study together sessions for all levels of French students. Click here to check it out and get involved!
First session is live - 17.00-18.30!! come and get involved if you can <3
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7447498#post99190936
(edited 2 months ago)
hi im doing edexcel french and i have my oral exam april 24th…i don’t know how to prepare for general conversation and i don’t know what to prepare for my question 4 and 5 (opinion and evaluation)…

my topic is travel and transport pls help thank you :smile:
Original post by apollolish
hi im doing edexcel french and i have my oral exam april 24th…i don’t know how to prepare for general conversation and i don’t know what to prepare for my question 4 and 5 (opinion and evaluation)…
my topic is travel and transport pls help thank you :smile:

same i'm doing AQA french and mine is on like w/b 3 June - 14 June
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the GCSE French Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:
You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:
Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.
A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Specifications

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Hi guys, I got 9s in French and Spanish GCSE, A/A* at A Level and do both at university so if anyone needs any help please let me know!
Original post by bicompton

I do French at uni and did A Level and GCSE if you guys need help!
Reply 33
Hiii, do you have any tips for french writing?
Original post by emm4nuella
hello everyone! i am in year 13 but i achieved a grade 8 in GCSE French in 2022, so you can ask me some questions!!

how did u do the speaking 1 min i dont know where to start 🥲
does anyone know about IGCSE french speaking paper 3T

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending