The Student Room Group

A-Level French Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amel.z0
hi! i'm currently in year 13 and i think it's great that ur already thinking about the research project! year 13 is mostly about the second textbook, where you learn about multiculturalism, crime and other topics which i have not yet studied. i would also say if you can, make a start on your book and start practice questions from the very beginning, it'll rly help your grammar

hold on . you’re getting textbooks ? we don’t have any . is that an exam board specific textbook ?
Reply 21
Original post by charmaine.d
hold on . you’re getting textbooks ? we don’t have any . is that an exam board specific textbook ?

i do AQA, the oxford textbook I believe, what do you do to practice for the listening, writing and translation exam?
Reply 22
Original post by AlishaDaisy
Welcome to the A-level French Study Group!

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough!

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!

@Pwca and @Evil Homer

hii!!
just realised that I haven't actually introduced myself on here I've just looked at what people have been saying... oops

I'm in year 13, with the AQA exam board

I really liked studying the film, so I hope that the book is just as good!!

I struggle with the listening aspect mostly, although I'm trying to watch some stuff (mainly films) that I'm familiar with in french for practice

I'm also probably struggling with the speaking aspect a bit as I'm very quiet in lessons, but we have a language assistant and I'm comfortable talking to them in french so I don't think that it's as big of an issue

I'm hoping to get an A at the end of the year although my teachers think a B is more likely... if anyone has any ideas on how I can boost my grades then please give me suggestions!! I'm planning on doing some practice essays already but I'm not sure what else to do

and good luck to everyone!!!
Original post by amel.z0
i do AQA, the oxford textbook I believe, what do you do to practice for the listening, writing and translation exam?

ohh that makes sense. we're with wjec eduqas and we just do weekly practice tests from wjec, aqa, edexcel etc . we have booklets and such for all the topic info and questions likely to be asked in the speaking exams
since open day season is coming to a close, have people been to uni open days ? what did you think of the unis ?

leeds campus is very welcoming (going back this saturday for more questions) and im familiar with the city, just a bit worried abt going abroad in the second year instead of 3rd :ashamed2:

liverpool campus was very dingy . leeds campus on a much bigger scale, considerably worse proximity to the city centre

manchester (uni of) was nice but the buildings felt old and intimidating and oxford-like. campus felt okay but boring. teachers in the talks were absolutely lovely though and the student reps told me absolutely everything i needed to know (i knew which questions to ask after going to a few open days). also quite far from the city and not as walkable as leeds (city is further away, accommodation is further away). also i dont really like manchester as a city... too big, too much to get lost in :bored: AND manchester doesn't have jollibee . not like my decision completely depends on that but ... leeds and liv have one
Reply 25
since open day season is coming to a close, have people been to uni open days ? what did you think of the unis ?

leeds campus is very welcoming (going back this saturday for more questions) and im familiar with the city, just a bit worried abt going abroad in the second year instead of 3rd :ashamed2:

liverpool campus was very dingy . leeds campus on a much bigger scale, considerably worse proximity to the city centre

manchester (uni of) was nice but the buildings felt old and intimidating and oxford-like. campus felt okay but boring. teachers in the talks were absolutely lovely though and the student reps told me absolutely everything i needed to know (i knew which questions to ask after going to a few open days). also quite far from the city and not as walkable as leeds (city is further away, accommodation is further away). also i dont really like manchester as a city... too big, too much to get lost in :bored: AND manchester doesn't have jollibee . not like my decision completely depends on that but ... leeds and liv have one

i've been to greenwich and sussex earlier on in the year, although that was when I had no idea what to do, had no idea about the questions i wanted to ask and went just because...
then i went to discover bath and realised i wanted to do modern languages (even though it's been an idea since year 10 and i did sociology at the residential) and went to the open day. i love the uni sm, i love my lake <3 although it's a bit far from the actual town centre or anything and not very diverse for me.
i went southampton last weekend and also loved it, only exceeded bath by a little, and loved the lecturer and the campus, they also let you do mlang (masters alongside your actual degree.)
i'm going royal holloway this weekend and honestly just going for the campus, going exeter on the 28th and surrey on the 4th nov. my options atm are surrey, bath, southampton, royal holloway and maybe ucl (deferring my place for all since i'm taking a gap year)
Reply 26

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough!

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!

@Pwca and @Evil Homer

hi guys i am in y13 studying AQA french :smile:
what i have enjoyed the most so far is probably the film. we studied la haine and i found it very interesting. my biggest struggle at the moment is english to french translation, as the marking is so harsh and it's a relatively new thing for me because it's not included in AS. in the past i have struggled with speaking as it makes me super anxious but lately i've been working on improving it and it's definitely payed off!
i am predicted an A which i am happy with as i have applied to study french at uni. it would be great if i could get an A* but i'm not super worried about achieving that because none of my possible offers would require that.
thanks for reading :biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by amel.z0
i've been to greenwich and sussex earlier on in the year, although that was when I had no idea what to do, had no idea about the questions i wanted to ask and went just because...
then i went to discover bath and realised i wanted to do modern languages (even though it's been an idea since year 10 and i did sociology at the residential) and went to the open day. i love the uni sm, i love my lake <3 although it's a bit far from the actual town centre or anything and not very diverse for me.
i went southampton last weekend and also loved it, only exceeded bath by a little, and loved the lecturer and the campus, they also let you do mlang (masters alongside your actual degree.)
i'm going royal holloway this weekend and honestly just going for the campus, going exeter on the 28th and surrey on the 4th nov. my options atm are surrey, bath, southampton, royal holloway and maybe ucl (deferring my place for all since i'm taking a gap year)

sounds cool! if you have any questions about living in the area around royal holloway i could try and help you as i have lived basically right next to it all my life lol
Reply 28

omg you've been to loads, sounds cool. i have been really rubbish and gone to a grand total of 0 open days and im p sure i have missed them all now lol. i did go to a summer skl at ucl though so thats something ig
Original post by aarcs
omg you've been to loads, sounds cool. i have been really rubbish and gone to a grand total of 0 open days and im p sure i have missed them all now lol. i did go to a summer skl at ucl though so thats something ig

i'm really out of the loop with all of the acronyms. . . is ucl one of the fancy ones down south ?
Reply 30
i'm really out of the loop with all of the acronyms. . . is ucl one of the fancy ones down south ?

university college london! idk if that counts as a "fancy one down south" but that phrasing is so funny lol
Original post by aarcs
university college london! idk if that counts as a "fancy one down south" but that phrasing is so funny lol

i count the fancy ones as oxbridge, kings (i think ????) and literally anything in london/in that southern area
Reply 32
Original post by aarcs
sounds cool! if you have any questions about living in the area around royal holloway i could try and help you as i have lived basically right next to it all my life lol

omg yes please! i was meant to go to the open day yesterday but i did something else instead, i'll go to the next one. have you been to the university?
Reply 33
Original post by aarcs

there's royal holloway on the 11th nov, exeter on the 28th oct, surrey on nov 4th, i believe bath are doing another and UCAS is showing many universities having their open days <3
Reply 34
Original post by amel.z0
omg yes please! i was meant to go to the open day yesterday but i did something else instead, i'll go to the next one. have you been to the university?

i have never been actually inside it but i live v close and i work with a lot of students from there. it is definitely not in london first of all - i know it's called "university of london" but that is just not true, it is totally in surrey and there is no tube station or anything however it's only a few train stops away from london, so easy access to there if you want. with regard to the area there is really not a lot going on, apart from the events going on inside the actual uni you won't find much at all happening in egham it's not a very studenty place but you can easily get to staines, windsor ect where there are a few clubs that people go to and a bit more stuff happening, and like i said easy access to london. also a quick note the main uni buildings are mostly located on a pretty big hill that is quite notorious lol i always see students lugging their shopping back from town up there, there is a bus just for students though. as im sure you've seen the founders building is absolutely beautiful, especially in person, so that's a plus. i'm not 100% knowledgable about accomodation but i know there are quite a few student halls very close to the main campus and lots of houses near to rent. can't think of anything else to add rn but if you have any more questions i might be able to answer feel free to ask :smile:

@Pwca and @Evil Homer

Hello!
I'm Erin and im doing AQA French (alongside history and politics). I enjoy the variety of topics in the course and am hoping to do politics and French next year!
Reply 36
Good afternoon everyone, am Jerome, please I need the structures of discursieve, argumentative, narrative and descriptive essays for cambridge A Level or a useful ressource
Reply 37
hiya,

my teacher has asked for my class to get our titles for our irp's ready to be checked, but I haven't got a title yet. I've decided what I'm doing and I've got research for it, I'm just wondering how to put it into a title? I think I might try and find some old examples but does anyone have any tips??

Reply 38
Original post by máni
hiya,

my teacher has asked for my class to get our titles for our irp's ready to be checked, but I haven't got a title yet. I've decided what I'm doing and I've got research for it, I'm just wondering how to put it into a title? I think I might try and find some old examples but does anyone have any tips??

i've already had mine checked and my advice would be to make sure your question presents the topic in a way that is clearly research based and not based on opinion, cus mine got rejected for that and reworded to be a bit different (but basically the same thing)
Original post by máni
hiya,

my teacher said to make your title a question, something you can analyse and evaluate in your introductory 200 ish word ‘speech’ part and then back up with evidence in the questioning part

so lets say you chose to do an irp abt the eiffel tower,

“the history of the eiffel tower” reads more like a presentation, it’s okay but could be better

“how has the cultural significance of the eiffel tower changed throughout history?” sets you up perfectly to come to a solid conclusion and give your own opinion after you answer the questions with your research

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending