The Student Room Group

I got a 9 in AQA GCSE Higher French - ask me anything :)

Im in year 13 doing A-level French - any questions about French, feel free to post here :smile:
im doing Spanish, AQA however the things in Spanish probably apply to Spanish
Do you have any advice for the listening paper- I usually just get over 50%
How do you deal with unseen questions and the speaking exam in general
I am currently on a grade 6, looking for a 8 or 9, is this possible?
Original post by Jessicaokjeez23

for the listening paper, I found listening to songs in French and trying to note down and follow the song really helpful for my understanding - maybe try with Disney songs or songs that you know a bit in English. I also did a lot of past paper questions!
for the speaking, I would say revise your 'prepared' answers little and often using quizlet (etc). in terms of unseen, I would say to have a look at past speaking card mark schemes to spot any words you don't know and any trends within each topic.
hope this helps :smile:
Original post by erin11
Original post by Jessicaokjeez23

for the listening paper, I found listening to songs in French and trying to note down and follow the song really helpful for my understanding - maybe try with Disney songs or songs that you know a bit in English. I also did a lot of past paper questions!
for the speaking, I would say revise your 'prepared' answers little and often using quizlet (etc). in terms of unseen, I would say to have a look at past speaking card mark schemes to spot any words you don't know and any trends within each topic.
hope this helps :smile:

yes it does, thankyou very much!
Original post by erin11
Im in year 13 doing A-level French - any questions about French, feel free to post here :smile:

I’m taking French, I’m in year 9. If I’m honest I absolutely dislike French but I think it’ll benefit me to have a language on my gcse. Do you have any advice? Is it difficult?
Original post by cloudsandmist
I’m taking French, I’m in year 9. If I’m honest I absolutely dislike French but I think it’ll benefit me to have a language on my gcse. Do you have any advice? Is it difficult?

I don't think French GCSE is too difficult, especially as there is foundation and higher tier. personally, I really enjoyed it as it was a nice break from subjects like science and maths. to be completely honest, if you really don't like it, don't take it as its more enjoyable to succeed in something you like rather than suffer through it if you dislike it - maybe have a little chat with your teacher/s? 🙂
Reply 6
Original post by erin11

Hi I'm in year 10 and I'm doing AQA French. I have a speaking exam next week and I'm unsure how much I need to be saying for each question
Reply 7
Original post by erin11

I'm doing AQA French, is there anything I need to know specifically the speaking component?
Original post by ngairemm
Hi I'm in year 10 and I'm doing AQA French. I have a speaking exam next week and I'm unsure how much I need to be saying for each question

there isn't too much of a strict answer for this but I would recommend around 3-5 lines about each question, make sure to include plenty of positive/negative opinions and some slightly more complex grammar if you can
Original post by Harfan654
I'm doing AQA French, is there anything I need to know specifically the speaking component?

in the higher speaking exam, you do a photo card, a role play and general conversation - all from either theme 1,2 or 3. you have 12 minutes preparation time before the exam, in a separate room with an invigilator.

role-play (2-3 mins):
basically where you and the examiner have 'characters' in a made up story/scenario e.g., they will play the part of a security guard in a shopping centre (etc) and they will start the conversation.
there are 4 bullet points:
3 where you will have a short prompt sentence for you to make conversation
a ? = you ask a question
an ! = you have to respond to something unseen

photocard (max. 3 mins):
you are given a photo and answer 3 set questions:
Qu’est-ce qu’il y a sur la photo ?
Quels problèmes ont les personnes en difficulté ?
Qu’est-ce que tu as fait récemment pour aider l’environnement ? ... Pourquoi ?
the examiner will also ask you 2 unseen questions
Reply 10
Original post by erin11

What do you think about A-level French?
Original post by bumpy-fox
What do you think about A-level French?

I really enjoy it - sometimes challenging but very rewarding!!
I struggled with the jump between GCSE and A level initially but then got into the swing of it in terms of revision technique and confidence, and then the jump from year 12-> 13 wasn't too bad. Year 12 topics are very cultural focused and year 13 has a strong political focus. its genuinely interesting and rewarding to be able to apply the stuff you learn in class to current events in france and the frenchspeaking world through stuff like music, films and French newspapers. personally, I prefer the year 13 topics as I have more of a general interest in politics :smile: I don't regret choosing it at all and have applied to study French/Politics at uni next year!
Reply 12
Original post by erin11
I really enjoy it - sometimes challenging but very rewarding!!
I struggled with the jump between GCSE and A level initially but then got into the swing of it in terms of revision technique and confidence, and then the jump from year 12-> 13 wasn't too bad. Year 12 topics are very cultural focused and year 13 has a strong political focus. its genuinely interesting and rewarding to be able to apply the stuff you learn in class to current events in france and the frenchspeaking world through stuff like music, films and French newspapers. personally, I prefer the year 13 topics as I have more of a general interest in politics :smile: I don't regret choosing it at all and have applied to study French/Politics at uni next year!

That’s great! I plan on taking it next year and I just wanted to gather peoples opinions on the subject. I think that it would great for me cuz I’m currently finding gcse French quite easy :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by bumpy-fox
That’s great! I plan on taking it next year and I just wanted to gather peoples opinions on the subject. I think that it would great for me cuz I’m currently finding gcse French quite easy :smile:

as long as you've got the passion and determination to work hard, you'll be fine and will enjoy!!
Reply 14
Original post by erin11

Hello, I have GCSE orals coming up in a month, and our deadline to choose a theme is in a few days. I am confident with theme 1 and theme 2, but not so much with theme 3. I was thinking to choose theme 2 as I could cover more structures to access a higher mark on the mark scheme, and also theme 1 you need to know festivals, which i literally cba to do. So, which one should I do and why? Also it would be helpful if you could tell me what theme you picked. Btw i do aqa french gcse
Original post by vai2099
Hello, I have GCSE orals coming up in a month, and our deadline to choose a theme is in a few days. I am confident with theme 1 and theme 2, but not so much with theme 3. I was thinking to choose theme 2 as I could cover more structures to access a higher mark on the mark scheme, and also theme 1 you need to know festivals, which i literally cba to do. So, which one should I do and why? Also it would be helpful if you could tell me what theme you picked. Btw i do aqa french gcse

I made flashcards with answers for all three themes but in the real thing I did theme 3. I would recommend choosing something youre confident with for the general conversation as it is longer and more important than the photo card/roleplay
Original post by erin11

I am really struggling in writing with tenses and vocab. What's the best way to improve quickly?
Original post by AvneetMatharu
I am really struggling in writing with tenses and vocab. What's the best way to improve quickly?
are you doing higher or foundation?
for vocab I recommend reviewing and practising quizlet sets regularly !
in terms of tenses, I recommend chatting with your teacher about anything you don't understand, then reading model answers from the exam board (etc) and lots of past paper practice !
there are some good YouTubers that might help, I recommend:
French with James - How to succeed in the GCSE Writing exam (higher)
How to succeed in the GCSE Writing exam (foundation)
Original post by erin11
I made flashcards with answers for all three themes but in the real thing I did theme 3. I would recommend choosing something youre confident with for the general conversation as it is longer and more important than the photo card/roleplay

Are your flashcards accessible online? I’m really struggling with French a need all the help I can get
Original post by Jasmaster
Are your flashcards accessible online? I’m really struggling with French a need all the help I can get

yes, my general French flashcards are available on quizlet for public view, you'll have to scroll down quite a bit though as I did GCSEs in 2022 - my quizlet is erinm057
I will pm you with links for the speaking directly !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending