The Student Room Group

A-level Spanish Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Castrovalva
Pretty good! Just got my predicted grade (A), so I'm pretty chuffed. I've got something like 6 months to make it an A*? I think it's doable. The textbook's nice (especially if you aren't used to writing essays or doing English Lit-style discussion - it has some great tips on how to write an essay and it has some tips about writing an essay in Spanish in particular to name just a few features) but I recommend making sure your Spanish is at a good level before getting into it. Most of it's in Spanish. They also have textbooks for Volver, Como agua para chocolate, Ocho apellidos vascos and Crónica de un muerte anunciada (as well as my copies of El laberinto del fauno and La casa de Bernada Alba). I seem to recall a couple people here do French as well? I can't remember which texts they have but if they cover yours I totally recommend picking up a Hodder Education study guide.

Oh yeah, and Immigration is going well too, thanks! What about everyone else? Is their last year going well? I'd love to do some speaking practice in class, but there's only one Spanish teacher for my whole college.

i've got a hodder book for my french book but still trying to find an actual copy of requiém por un campesino espanol. my dad's only been able to find study guides, abridged versions or an actual copy but with notes in german .. . . . not doing the book until christmas though so there's plenty of time !!

do you not do activities that let you speak spanish in class ? might be something to bring up with your teacher ! or, if you're close with your classmates then you could get together during free periods if you share any to practice ?
We do have sort of mini speaking tasks, but personally, they're not as comprehensive as I'd like. It depends on our workload etc. We're doing more listening than speaking, which is fair! That said, I am getting some practice, because I do language exchanges which are not only fun but so useful haha. Again, totally recommended for anyone here!
We do have sort of mini speaking tasks, but personally, they're not as comprehensive as I'd like. It depends on our workload etc. We're doing more listening than speaking, which is fair! That said, I am getting some practice, because I do language exchanges which are not only fun but so useful haha. Again, totally recommended for anyone here!

ooo language exchanges? how?
Original post by emm4nuella
yes i am doing aqa theres a textbook that i am using on kerboodle!! but take a look at this document full of year 12 topics! hope it helps <3 :biggrin: - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UP77th99cQGZ-rKwTtiZyF4GADRqMNG2w7yeXSwj0TY/edit?usp=sharing

unfortunately i cant seem to find any books on kerboodle but the doc looks really promising. ty for ur help
Original post by XXSlayerXX
unfortunately i cant seem to find any books on kerboodle but the doc looks really promising. ty for ur help

oh well i think if your school has bought them/put them on there. and no worries :biggrin:
ooo language exchanges? how?

There are a really high amount online, if you just Google 'language exchange'. If you're not familiar, the idea is speaking in two(+) languages during a meeting - you help improve their English, they help you improve your language (e.g. Spanish). However, some online are 18+, and don't ask for verification of age or anything, so you have to be careful with those! I'm already 18, so I have tried a few of these and found them to be pretty enjoyable.

There may also be in-person exchanges near you, especially if you live somewhere big like London. Again, just Google 'language exchange/s in X' and some stuff should come up!
There are a really high amount online, if you just Google 'language exchange'. If you're not familiar, the idea is speaking in two(+) languages during a meeting - you help improve their English, they help you improve your language (e.g. Spanish). However, some online are 18+, and don't ask for verification of age or anything, so you have to be careful with those! I'm already 18, so I have tried a few of these and found them to be pretty enjoyable.

There may also be in-person exchanges near you, especially if you live somewhere big like London. Again, just Google 'language exchange/s in X' and some stuff should come up!

omg this is actually really helpful !! will definitely look into this when i turn 18 !!
Finally got around to starting El laberinto del fauno in class, phew! I think the plan is to do the film los jueves and then in the new year or so we'll take some time to do the IRP for however long that takes, then finish off with La casa de Bernada Alba. How is everyone finding studying the film and/or text? I really need to start practicing my Spanish essays more haha.
Finally got around to starting El laberinto del fauno in class, phew! I think the plan is to do the film los jueves and then in the new year or so we'll take some time to do the IRP for however long that takes, then finish off with La casa de Bernada Alba. How is everyone finding studying the film and/or text? I really need to start practicing my Spanish essays more haha.

wait you are studying two films?

i studied ELDF in year 12 - you will really enjoy it :biggrin:!
wait you are studying two films?

No, La casa is a play. We're studying the text itself, a bit like studying Shakespeare in English Literature, as I understand.

but you were talking about los jueves and el. laberito del fauno?
but you were talking about los jueves and el. laberito del fauno?

Bugger, bloody copy/paste typo! I'm doing Laberinto and La Casa.
Bugger, bloody copy/paste typo! I'm doing Laberinto and La Casa.

aaah makes more sense! we are doing the exact same :biggrin:!
Original post by pineapple1865
Love speaking w fellow lings applicants! My list is:
1. Cambridge
2. York
3. UCL
4. Edinburgh
5. Queen Mary’s
Hbu? (Asked this on another forum alr apologies for the repetition!) What area of lings are you most interested in?

im interested in historical linguistics and sociolinguistics most atm :smile:
I'm good thanks, Emmanuella! How are you?

I just read Carmen Laforet's Nada in Spanish - it's taken me a bit as every now and then you'd get some odd words, the translations of which were uncommon even in English, but I feel really proud of finishing a full book in Spanish! The plan is to tomorrow write an essay on it and give it to my teacher. I think my essay skills need sharpening, and given we only started El laberinto del fauno a few weeks ago, I'm not sure when we'll start discussing essays in class, so I suppose now's as opportune a time as any!
I'm good thanks, Emmanuella! How are you?

I just read Carmen Laforet's Nada in Spanish - it's taken me a bit as every now and then you'd get some odd words, the translations of which were uncommon even in English, but I feel really proud of finishing a full book in Spanish! The plan is to tomorrow write an essay on it and give it to my teacher. I think my essay skills need sharpening, and given we only started El laberinto del fauno a few weeks ago, I'm not sure when we'll start discussing essays in class, so I suppose now's as opportune a time as any!

well done :biggrin:! im alr thanks for asking
well done :biggrin:! im alr thanks for asking

Great to hear! Always lovely to read/watch your motivational posts in the Year 13 group :biggrin:
Great to hear! Always lovely to read/watch your motivational posts in the Year 13 group :biggrin:

tysm! you just reminded me - i need to do today's one :biggrin:!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending