The Student Room Group

EPQ Ideas based on Literature?

Hello all!

As of this September I'm starting A-Levels and I'm studying English Literature, Art and Geography. I'm also taking an EPQ too, but I don't actually know where to start or what to decide to do for it. I really enjoy researching about literature and reading about literary figures - specifically Japanese authors and poets (and some from around the America, Uk etc.) and their work, but I'm not sure what I could write about.

Having said that, there are specific authors I'm interested in researching, possibly some of you could give ideas (it's oddly specific/figures I found interesting).

- Edgar Allen Poe
- Edogawa Ranpo
- Kenji Miyazawa (really interested in him!)
- Osamu Dazai
- Doppo Kunikida
- Robert Louis Stevenson
- Agatha Christie
- Fyodor Dostoevsky

That's all I can really think of for now; I haven't really read some of their books but am willing to for this project, so super excited!

Thanks!

~ Nadasdd
Reply 1
Original post by nnads
Hello all!

As of this September I'm starting A-Levels and I'm studying English Literature, Art and Geography. I'm also taking an EPQ too, but I don't actually know where to start or what to decide to do for it. I really enjoy researching about literature and reading about literary figures - specifically Japanese authors and poets (and some from around the America, Uk etc.) and their work, but I'm not sure what I could write about.

Having said that, there are specific authors I'm interested in researching, possibly some of you could give ideas (it's oddly specific/figures I found interesting).

- Edgar Allen Poe
- Edogawa Ranpo
- Osamu Dazai
- Doppo Kunikida
- Robert Louis Stevenson
- Agatha Christie
- Fyodor Dostoevsky

That's all I can really think of for now; I haven't really read some of their books but am willing to for this project, so super excited!

Thanks!

~ Nadasdd

Hello Nnads!
Your passion for literature and specific authors denotes a great starting point for your EPQ. I would suggest that you consider examining various themes, influences, or comparative studies between the specified writers. Feel free to reach out (DM) if you need further guidance or research assistance during your project—I'm here to help.
Good luck with your A-Levels and EPQ!
Reply 2
Thank you very much!!!
Original post by nnads
Thank you very much!!!

Hi, i'm also looking to do my EPQ literature based. I was wondering if you got any further with your one?
Reply 4
Original post by nnads
Hello all!

- Edgar Allen Poe
- Edogawa Ranpo
- Osamu Dazai
- Doppo Kunikida
- Robert Louis Stevenson
- Agatha Christie
- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Thanks!

~ Nadasdd

Edgar Allen Poe would be an interesting one to do as his work falls into the gothic genre and themes of insanity etc.

Remember you need it to be not too broad a topic as you only have 5000 words. Also, not too narrow.
You should choose a question that enables higher level critical analysis.

Also, check there are plenty of sources available.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by libbieb
Hi, i'm also looking to do my EPQ literature based. I was wondering if you got any further with your one?

Yes! Well sort of. I think I'm going to actually do something based on a manga series I'm really interested in - but it has deeper meaning, not a normal sort of action one. What are you thinking?
(Original post by nnads)Yes! Well sort of. I think I'm going to actually do something based on a manga series I'm really interested in - but it has deeper meaning, not a normal sort of action one. What are you thinking?

Sounds great!! I was thinking something along the lines of 'How did Jane Austen reflect, challenge and defy gender norms and expectations of her era through her novels?' not too sure yet though, it might not sound good.
Reply 7
Original post by libbieb
(Original post by nnads)Yes! Well sort of. I think I'm going to actually do something based on a manga series I'm really interested in - but it has deeper meaning, not a normal sort of action one. What are you thinking?

Sounds great!! I was thinking something along the lines of 'How did Jane Austen reflect, challenge and defy gender norms and expectations of her era through her novels?' not too sure yet though, it might not sound good.

Hi

I wonder if this is too broad as there are a number of novels and you are looking at reflect, challenge,
and defy. Maybe simplify it?

Maybe do some reading on it and see what sources are out there which you can access.

Keep a record of all your thoughts on choosing a title for your journal.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Thanks for the idea!! It’s a broad range of authors just for ideas and suggestions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending