The Student Room Group

English Literature help!!!!!

Does anyone have any ideas for extracurricular things to do build up for an English Literature degree and to bulk up my personal statement?

I have already competed in Next Gen Leader's East Midlands competition and I am in the middle of completing a MOOC in World Literature from Harvard Uni. Would it be too late to start EPQ? or is there anything else I can do to like improve myself or build up skills for an English Lit degree?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Hii.
I'm going to university later this year to study English literature, so I feel I can help you. It may be too late to start an EPQ as you will be very busy in year 13 with mocks and general revision for A-levels. So I would suggest completing as many MOOCs as you can on topics within English that interest you, as there is no point in doing courses you aren't interested in.
An obvious but useful piece of advice is to read as much as possible. While you are reading, don't just stick to passively reading books within your 'comfort genre,' stretch yourself and try new things. As well as this, with books that you both like and dislike- this can also apply to authors- think critically about what it is that you like/ dislike about them. Similarly, researching the social and historical context of a book can help you have a different perspective of said novel and may help you make connections that you didn't notice before. Diversify your reading tastes, i.e. if you read exclusively novels try a memoir, and so on. This will help you as you can put an example of a book you analysed that is outside your course content.
If there are any options for you to volunteer at local libraries or a kids club it may go further in showing your love for language and how you want to help others grow theirs.
I hope this helps.
Good luck with everything!
-Eli :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Eli221B
Hii.
I'm going to university later this year to study English literature, so I feel I can help you. It may be too late to start an EPQ as you will be very busy in year 13 with mocks and general revision for A-levels. So I would suggest completing as many MOOCs as you can on topics within English that interest you, as there is no point in doing courses you aren't interested in.
An obvious but useful piece of advice is to read as much as possible. While you are reading, don't just stick to passively reading books within your 'comfort genre,' stretch yourself and try new things. As well as this, with books that you both like and dislike- this can also apply to authors- think critically about what it is that you like/ dislike about them. Similarly, researching the social and historical context of a book can help you have a different perspective of said novel and may help you make connections that you didn't notice before. Diversify your reading tastes, i.e. if you read exclusively novels try a memoir, and so on. This will help you as you can put an example of a book you analysed that is outside your course content.
If there are any options for you to volunteer at local libraries or a kids club it may go further in showing your love for language and how you want to help others grow theirs.
I hope this helps.
Good luck with everything!
-Eli :smile:

thank you so much for youre help!!!! i spoke to my academic mentor and the people doing epq at my sixth form have only just started forming ideas (ive already started to draw some up) and she said i would be able to catch up. im also doing work experience at a local primary school, helping kids with reading and english in general!!
once again, thank you so so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending