The Student Room Group

How to study at uni

I’m starting uni this month studying pharmacy, I’ll have both lectures and practical hours. My question is what do you actually DO with the information you learn?

At secondary you would see the PowerPoint and write down the key points you need to learn along with what your teacher says but I get the feeling it’s different at uni? Like could I still work from making notes on the PowerPoint online while in a lecture but then at home writing up everything I’m learning on paper in a folder?

Any guidance no matter the course being studied is super appreciated
Original post by Anonymous
I’m starting uni this month studying pharmacy, I’ll have both lectures and practical hours. My question is what do you actually DO with the information you learn?

At secondary you would see the PowerPoint and write down the key points you need to learn along with what your teacher says but I get the feeling it’s different at uni? Like could I still work from making notes on the PowerPoint online while in a lecture but then at home writing up everything I’m learning on paper in a folder?

Congratulations on starting university, I hope you're looking forward to it!

Everybody learns in different ways so notetaking is subjective; you take notes and revise information in a way that suits you best!

One way would be taking down the most relevant/important notes from your lecture then going home and writing/typing them up again in a way that makes sense to you, which is also handy when it comes to exam/assessment revision and you have clear notes to revise from. Make sure to organize your work by week/module, etc.!

You can take notes on paper or on a word document, again in a way that suits you. A good tip is to make notes on the PowerPoint itself, like you said!

I hope this helps :smile:

- Estelle

Hey,

My best advice would be to prepare the slides before the lecture (either printed or downloaded) and then annotate those, so you can concentrate more on what's being said and spend less time trying to write everything down word for word. Then, I would change my notes into a Q&A format for exam revision after the lecture. I know it's hard but I would really try to keep on top of making revision materials as you go, as it'll save you a lot of time when it comes to exam season!! :smile:

In terms of practical sessions, I would just make notes on what you did and when, mistakes you made & what you learned; In terms of pharmacy, I had a friend who did a pharmacy degree and she found this really helpful as it meant when she came to do these tasks again, she knew what she did wrong before! She's now a trainee pharmacist and still uses the notes sometimes because she is one of those people that likes to be very thorough :biggrin: This is also important as you tend to do write-ups based on practical sessions!

Best of luck with everything!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 7 months ago)

Hiya,

Congratulations on securing your place at Uni!

My advice to students who are starting University is to spend time doing your required pre-reading. I usually spent a few hours going through my reading list and jotting down key information in my notebook and then going through the power point presentation to check if there's something I haven't covered yet. Usually the information included in power point presentations is a summarised version of the pre-reading, which is why I recommend always going over your pre-reading before lectures. The method you mentioned is also a very highly effective way of studying, by writing down your notes twice, you retain the information faster; Hence, making studying easier for you when it's summative season or exams.

Best of luck :smile:

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending