The Student Room Group

Nursing as a single parent - finances? Wales only.

Hi

The title above isn't to suggest you cannot post unless you are Welsh, but I'm aware our funding options are different from our English counterparts.

My situ:

I am a single mother. My youngest will be 6 years old when I go to uni for adult nursing. I'm on my own, I work agency shifts with children's care, and I'm a full time carer for a gentleman and receive Universal Credits carer allowance. My eldest is in comp and essentially will walk himself to school and back and doesn't require any childcare anymore.

I understand with the NHS Bursary I'll recieve some money and will have to take out a maintenance loan with Student Finance Wales. My currently monthly expenses come to about £1400 (I rent).

Right now my hourly rate at my job as agency is between 14ph and 16ph as I do waking nights but due to my childcare and carer commitments I'm not able to pick up more than a maximum of 2 shifts a week- sometimes 3 a fortnight.

I'm under no illusion this will not be covered by the meager student finance loan, I'm not sure how much I will get with the bursary. Is anyone in a similar position able to shed some light please? My kids are well, no disability benefits or anything like that. My kids will spend a night 50 miles away at my mums when I work or if my sister is free she will spend the night to babysit (I am aware I am very lucky), basically we make it work.

What I want to know essentially is, is this managable with nursing school and if you are in a similar position? How many hours do you work?

Do I have too many commitments to make the nursing degree work?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

The title above isn't to suggest you cannot post unless you are Welsh, but I'm aware our funding options are different from our English counterparts.

My situ:

I am a single mother. My youngest will be 6 years old when I go to uni for adult nursing. I'm on my own, I work agency shifts with children's care, and I'm a full time carer for a gentleman and receive Universal Credits carer allowance. My eldest is in comp and essentially will walk himself to school and back and doesn't require any childcare anymore.

I understand with the NHS Bursary I'll recieve some money and will have to take out a maintenance loan with Student Finance Wales. My currently monthly expenses come to about £1400 (I rent).

Right now my hourly rate at my job as agency is between 14ph and 16ph as I do waking nights but due to my childcare and carer commitments I'm not able to pick up more than a maximum of 2 shifts a week- sometimes 3 a fortnight.

I'm under no illusion this will not be covered by the meager student finance loan, I'm not sure how much I will get with the bursary. Is anyone in a similar position able to shed some light please? My kids are well, no disability benefits or anything like that. My kids will spend a night 50 miles away at my mums when I work or if my sister is free she will spend the night to babysit (I am aware I am very lucky), basically we make it work.

What I want to know essentially is, is this managable with nursing school and if you are in a similar position? How many hours do you work?

Do I have too many commitments to make the nursing degree work?

HI! I've just finished my first year of children's nursing in Wrexham University. Although I don't have children and don't work alongside my course hopefully I can help. As an overview, with any nursing course the expectation is that students do 37.5 hours per week, whether this be theory or practice (placements). During university time there is more flexibility, with most universities offering a blended approach with some time on campus, and time at home, undertaking self directed study. However, whilst out on placement you would be expected to work the hours of the service, which could be monday to friday 9 to 5, or 3, 12.5 hour shifts each week. This can get challenging for those students who have children and are also working.

I can suggest reaching out to your university and asking for their advice as I can assure you that you are not alone! They may be able to put your mind at ease and offer advice and support surrounding finances/childcare etc etc.

Feel free to reply to this post with any other questions, as I'm not sure if I've answered your question.
I hope this has helped!

Ruth :smile:
WrexhamUniReps
Reply 2
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
HI! I've just finished my first year of children's nursing in Wrexham University. Although I don't have children and don't work alongside my course hopefully I can help. As an overview, with any nursing course the expectation is that students do 37.5 hours per week, whether this be theory or practice (placements). During university time there is more flexibility, with most universities offering a blended approach with some time on campus, and time at home, undertaking self directed study. However, whilst out on placement you would be expected to work the hours of the service, which could be monday to friday 9 to 5, or 3, 12.5 hour shifts each week. This can get challenging for those students who have children and are also working.

I can suggest reaching out to your university and asking for their advice as I can assure you that you are not alone! They may be able to put your mind at ease and offer advice and support surrounding finances/childcare etc etc.

Feel free to reply to this post with any other questions, as I'm not sure if I've answered your question.
I hope this has helped!

Ruth :smile:
WrexhamUniReps

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the response. I understand placements require commitment, I'm also under the impression some placements will also take into account childcare/carer responsibilities. Since placements are 3 x 6week blocks that would mean we have 4 and a half months of unpaid placement as students per year. Do you happen to know how many sick days we are able to have for the year?

Many thanks 😊
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the response. I understand placements require commitment, I'm also under the impression some placements will also take into account childcare/carer responsibilities. Since placements are 3 x 6week blocks that would mean we have 4 and a half months of unpaid placement as students per year. Do you happen to know how many sick days we are able to have for the year?

Many thanks 😊

Hi again! As far as I'm aware, we don't have any 'sick days' during the year, however if we miss any hours we are expected to make them up in due course - this could be adding an extra shift on an upcoming placement. If students are quite behind on hours then the university will arrange a 'make up/retrieval' placement, which could be during the summer holidays. So student's don't have any amount of sick days they can take, it's just expected that we complete the 2300 hours over the three years. Some students may miss a few weeks of placement, but as long as they show committment, these hours can be made up, so don't worry too much. I hope that makes sense.

As you mentioned, many placements are understanding and accommodating for students with children, and can be more flexible with shifts. But again, the expectation is to follow the same shifts as your allocated practice supervisor/assessor to ensure you get the best learning experience and they can best comment on your achievement. I would say it's more the 9-5 placements where there isn't the flexibility with hours, as you need the 37.5 each week, so this may be more challenging with managing childcare. Your placement providers and university lecturers will be very understanding of your situation and will do their best to support you.

I hope this has helped, and best of luck with everything :smile:
Ruth (Children's Nursing)
WrexhamUniReps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending