The Student Room Group

NHS Learning Support Fund

New healthcare* students starting courses in England in September/October 2023 can apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund from 1 March 2023 (applications must be submitted within six months of the start of the academic year).

If eligible, you can get a training grant of £5,000 per academic year. Currently, students studying one of the following subjects can receive an additional £1,000 per year: mental health nursing; learning disability nursing; radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic); orthotics and prosthetics; orthoptics and podiatry.

You can also claim money back for excess travel and accommodation costs while doing placements, and parental support if you have child dependents. There is also an Exceptional Support Fund for students experiencing financial hardship.

To apply you must be:

studying on an eligible programme at a university in England, (not Scotland, Wales or N Ireland)

eligible for tuition fees and maintenance support from the Student Loans Company, either through Student Finance England (SFE), Student Finance Wales (SFW), Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS), Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI)

actively in study, whether academic or practice learning

There is more information on how to apply on the following website:

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf

* Dental therapy/hygiene; dietetics; midwifery; nursing (adult, child, mental health, learning disability, joint nursing, and social work); occupational therapy; operating department practitioner; orthoptics; orthotics and prosthetics; paramedics; physiotherapy; podiatry/chiropody; radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic); speech and language therapy

NB If you are going to study at a uni in Wales, NHS Wales offers financial support through the NHS Wales Bursary Scheme. Official website here:

https://nwssp.nhs.wales/ourservices/student-awards-services/information-for-students/log-in-completing-an-application/new-students/

As a quick summary, if you study in Wales the bursary funds annual tuition fees, a £1,000 non means-tested bursary, a means-tested bursary, and travel and accommodation costs when on placement. In return, students on a three-year course are expected to commit to working in Wales for two years following graduation.

Official FAQ pdf attached.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by normaw
New healthcare* students starting courses in England in September/October 2023 can apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund from 1 March 2023 (applications must be submitted within six months of the start of the academic year).

If eligible, you can get a training grant of £5,000 per academic year. Currently, students studying one of the following subjects can receive an additional £1,000 per year: mental health nursing; learning disability nursing; radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic); orthotics and prosthetics; orthoptics and podiatry.

You can also claim money back for excess travel and accommodation costs while doing placements, and parental support if you have child dependents. There is also an Exceptional Support Fund for students experiencing financial hardship.

To apply you must be:

studying on an eligible programme at a university in England, (not Scotland, Wales or N Ireland)

eligible for tuition fees and maintenance support from the Student Loans Company, either through Student Finance England (SFE), Student Finance Wales (SFW), Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS), Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI)

actively in study, whether academic or practice learning

There is more information on how to apply on the following website:

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf

* Dental therapy/hygiene; dietetics; midwifery; nursing (adult, child, mental health, learning disability, joint nursing, and social work); occupational therapy; operating department practitioner; orthoptics; orthotics and prosthetics; paramedics; physiotherapy; podiatry/chiropody; radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic); speech and language therapy

NB If you are going to study at a uni in Wales, NHS Wales offers financial support through the NHS Wales Bursary Scheme. Official website here:

https://nwssp.nhs.wales/ourservices/student-awards-services/information-for-students/log-in-completing-an-application/new-students/

As a quick summary, if you study in Wales the bursary funds annual tuition fees, a £1,000 non means-tested bursary, a means-tested bursary, and travel and accommodation costs when on placement. In return, students on a three-year course are expected to commit to working in Wales for two years following graduation.

Official FAQ pdf attached.

Hello, I am applying for Orthoptics and have made an application to student finance. The training grant needs to be applied for once you have evidence of your student finance award but also says it needs to be applied for within 6 months before your training starts. Can I clarify this means we have a 6 month window to apply and get our student finance evidence not that we have to apply 6 months before training starts (which is this month)? Thank you!
Original post by RedPea_
Hello, I am applying for Orthoptics and have made an application to student finance. The training grant needs to be applied for once you have evidence of your student finance award but also says it needs to be applied for within 6 months before your training starts. Can I clarify this means we have a 6 month window to apply and get our student finance evidence not that we have to apply 6 months before training starts (which is this month)? Thank you!

The latest you can apply is up to six months from the start of your academic year. So if your course starts mid-September 2023, you will have up to mid-March 2024 to complete your application.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for this post!

Do you know if electronically sent letters are suitable for evidence or do they have to be scanned physical letters? I have confirmation of my student loan but it's only a digital notifcation :s-smilie:
tyty
Original post by TMedi
Thanks for this post!

Do you know if electronically sent letters are suitable for evidence or do they have to be scanned physical letters? I have confirmation of my student loan but it's only a digital notifcation :s-smilie:
tyty

I'm not sure tbh. I would suggest you apply with the evidence you have now. If it is not sufficient, the NHS BSA will ask you for additional evidence later.
Reply 5
I’m an english student who wants to study in wales. I have already applied to student finance england and they’ve confirmed everything. was i supposed to apply to student finance wales?

Same with the nhs bursary… do apply for the wales one or the england one?
Original post by lizrob
I’m an english student who wants to study in wales. I have already applied to student finance england and they’ve confirmed everything. was i supposed to apply to student finance wales?

Same with the nhs bursary… do apply for the wales one or the england one?

As you live in England and want to study a healthcare course, you have a choice of applying to the NHS Wales Bursary Scheme for fee and living cost support, or to apply to Student Finance England (if you choose the latter, you won't be able to apply the the NHS Learning Support Fund in England).

In return for committing to work in Wales for two years after graduation, the NHS Wales Bursary Scheme pays your tuition fees and offers a mix of means-tested and non-means-tested grants/bursary to cover living costs.

You will need to decide which form of funding will be better for you. Seek advice from your uni if you are unsure. The Cardiff Uni website has some useful information explaining this in more detail:

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/funding/funding-your-healthcare-course
Reply 7
Original post by normaw
As you live in England and want to study a healthcare course, you have a choice of applying to the NHS Wales Bursary Scheme for fee and living cost support, or to apply to Student Finance England (if you choose the latter, you won't be able to apply the the NHS Learning Support Fund in England).

In return for committing to work in Wales for two years after graduation, the NHS Wales Bursary Scheme pays your tuition fees and offers a mix of means-tested and non-means-tested grants/bursary to cover living costs.

You will need to decide which form of funding will be better for you. Seek advice from your uni if you are unsure. The Cardiff Uni website has some useful information explaining this in more detail:

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/funding/funding-your-healthcare-course

Thank you so much for this response. it’s really useful :smile:

Thing is i have already applied to student finance england. So just to make sure, i can still apply to NHS Wales bursary scheme right?
Original post by lizrob
Thank you so much for this response. it’s really useful :smile:

Thing is i have already applied to student finance england. So just to make sure, i can still apply to NHS Wales bursary scheme right?

I believe so but just to make sure, as I'm not an expert on this, I would advise that you contact the Student Funding and Advice Team at Cardiff Uni - the contact details are at the bottom of the page I linked above. A call might be better than an email to talk through your funding options in detail.
Reply 9
Hi,
Could someone clarify about the parent element. I’ve read it’s for children under 15. My son will be 15 by September, so are we not eligible? I have applied for the main part of the fund but have left the parent bit as I just assumed we wouldn’t be eligible as he will be 15.
Many thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by isilbell
Hi,
Could someone clarify about the parent element. I’ve read it’s for children under 15. My son will be 15 by September, so are we not eligible? I have applied for the main part of the fund but have left the parent bit as I just assumed we wouldn’t be eligible as he will be 15.
Many thanks!

Hello, just found this on the NHS site where it says "under 15 at the start of the academic year" so I'd presume not unfortunately! However, if they have additional needs it is pushed to under the age of 17.

https://faq.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/knowledgebase/article/KA-24126/en-us
Reply 11
Original post by RedPea_
Hello, just found this on the NHS site where it says "under 15 at the start of the academic year" so I'd presume not unfortunately! However, if they have additional needs it is pushed to under the age of 17.

https://faq.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/knowledgebase/article/KA-24126/en-us

Thank you. It seems a bit silly doesn’t it. A child costs as much when they are 14 as when they are 15. I’d understand more if it was 16. Thanks again.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 12
For anyone that has applied and has been approved for the LSF, how long did it take? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest