The Student Room Group

Should XL bully dogs be banned?

Following a video of an American XL bully dog on a rampage in Birmingham, the home secretary has raised the question of banning the dog.

https://news.sky.com/story/suella-braverman-seeking-urgent-advice-about-banning-xl-bully-dogs-as-video-shows-appalling-attack-on-11-year-old-girl-12958671

There has been a lot of discussion on Twitter over the weekend about the merits of a ban. Some would support the culling of all XL bullies, some just a ban on breeding, and others believe that it is owners rather than dogs themselves that should be targeted.

Should we ban the XL bully dog? And if so, how?
Yes we should ban them. I think breeding should be banned, and just let them die out. Culling would be met with too much resistance for it to be a viable option and, it's a cruel thing to do to dogs that haven't done a thing. But some sort of control and restrictions should be imposed on them as to prevent other rampages.
If only more people would carry machetes we wouldn't need the ban on dogs like these.
No.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Following a video of an American XL bully dog on a rampage in Birmingham, the home secretary has raised the question of banning the dog.

https://news.sky.com/story/suella-braverman-seeking-urgent-advice-about-banning-xl-bully-dogs-as-video-shows-appalling-attack-on-11-year-old-girl-12958671

There has been a lot of discussion on Twitter over the weekend about the merits of a ban. Some would support the culling of all XL bullies, some just a ban on breeding, and others believe that it is owners rather than dogs themselves that should be targeted.

Should we ban the XL bully dog? And if so, how?

I don't believe banning dog breeds will actually work regardless, although I personally think it would be best for there to be regulation in terms of breeding licenses, licenses for owners to purchase or adopt breeds prone to aggression and perhaps even banning certain groups from accessing breeds like XL bullies, pit bulls and similar breeds- for example, if there is no viable reasoning as to why the owner requires or would benefit from a powerful dog bred for fighting or hunting, they should not be allowed to own one. Why get a dog bred for fighting that's prone to instinctual aggression when you can just get a breed that was historically developed to suit your own needs and lifestyle?
Reply 5
No dog is inherently violent. They are made that way through how they are treated. That’s like imprisoning the victim of a mugging instead of the mugger themself. I know it probably isn’t that simple, but greater punishments for animal abuse may help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending