The Student Room Group

thoughts on no phones at school

at my school they've decided to ban phones completely. you're not even allowed to bring it in to school and they'll randomly search you to see if you have on on you, if you do they confiscate it till the end of the year.
many people live far away from the school so there are some safety issues.
what are your thoughts on banning phones at school completely?
Original post by 29swife
at my school they've decided to ban phones completely. you're not even allowed to bring it in to school and they'll randomly search you to see if you have on on you, if you do they confiscate it till the end of the year.

I don’t think it’s fair to be honest, like if people can’t contact parents before or after school. But then if loads of people are going on their phones in lessons and it’s causing problems then they might need to be more extreme. Still too far tho imo, I think they should at least like let you hand in phones to the office or something and collect them at the end of the day
Reply 2
The evidence is quite clear. Phones are a massive distraction. I find it funny that phones are now an essential part of being safe. How on earth did we manage before phones? Maybe a compromise might be for the school to provide payphones or phone lockers?
Reply 3
Original post by hotpud
The evidence is quite clear. Phones are a massive distraction. I find it funny that phones are now an essential part of being safe. How on earth did we manage before phones? Maybe a compromise might be for the school to provide payphones or phone lockers?

yes phones are a distraction however don't you think banning phones COMPLETELY is quite extreme? I completely understand banning them during the school day but not completely
unfortunately the school won't compromise at all
Reply 4
Original post by Teribblestudent
I don’t think it’s fair to be honest, like if people can’t contact parents before or after school. But then if loads of people are going on their phones in lessons and it’s causing problems then they might need to be more extreme. Still too far tho imo, I think they should at least like let you hand in phones to the office or something and collect them at the end of the day

I agree about handing them in, but their argument is that they can't be responsible for all the phones, yet they can be responsible for confiscating phones. it doesn't make sense

many students live far away from the school and they won't be able to contact their parents or police if an emergency happens
Reply 5
At my school we have morning reg at 8:50 and afternoon reg at 3:10 we are not allowed our phones as soon as we get to school however we have to had our phone in at first reg and get it back at second reg. If we are caught on our phones or not handed them in then we it taken off us for three days or more and a parent has to come into school to collect it they don’t just give it back to us.
Original post by 29swife

Ideally, schools should allow you to bring the phone in, as you might need to use it to contact your parents, arrange your journey home, call 999 etc.

But I can see why they might choose to ban them completely. Plenty of illicit activities take place in relation to phones. Not just distraction from learning, but also bullying, theft, invasion of privacy, accessing inappropriate content etc. And it's probably just too much headache for them to want to deal with any of it.
Find it silly to ban phones completely. You should be able to bring your phone to school.

I completely support schools banning the use of phones in school and them confiscating it if you're found using it in school, but I don't support them saying that you can't bring them into school.

I had to get Bus+Train+Walking to get to Sixth Form, not sure if parent would have been too thrilled for me to not have my phone on me when going to school, may as well not have a phone at that point.
Reply 8
Original post by tazarooni89
Ideally, schools should allow you to bring the phone in, as you might need to use it to contact your parents, arrange your journey home, call 999 etc.

But I can see why they might choose to ban them completely. Plenty of illicit activities take place in relation to phones. Not just distraction from learning, but also bullying, theft, invasion of privacy, accessing inappropriate content etc. And it's probably just too much headache for them to want to deal with any of it.

I agree that those things can happen however these things would happen nonetheless outside of school. Also if you get harassed or hurt wouldn't you need to contact someone?
Original post by 29swife
I agree that those things can happen however these things would happen nonetheless outside of school.
True, but then it’s not the school’s problem to deal with.
I generally don’t think children under 16 need phones. If people want them for parental contact fair enough but phones should be registered for out of class rooms.

Phones also can be a big part of a hidden social area for a school community, and plays a significant part in bullying etc. The difficulty comes as banning phones is unpractical as school kids will simply hide them so some way to pragmatically enforce a policy is needed.
When I was at school back in 1990s nobody had a phone we would use pay phones to call home if there was no public transport. The school nurse would call are parents if we were ill and if or parents needed as they call the school. I cannot see why anybody under the age of sixteen need have a phone.

Phones are other a why for children to be nasty to each other because the phone with the child all the time they never get a break. Also phones are not good for mental health having 24 hours news on them etc.
I think the schooling system needs a complete overhaul. It's too monotonous which leads to students zoning out and going on their phones. Perhaps if lessons were a little more engaging, then this issue might be less frequent.
Original post by looloo2134
I cannot see why anybody under the age of sixteen need have a phone.

When you get down to it, who does actually NEED one? But we've went out our way to integrate them into daily life and make them so damn indispensable haven't we? - when we started using them for things like shop payments and entry tickets I think there was no going back.
Reply 14
This All Our Yesterdays wistful looking back at the past does not account for the huge social changes we've seen in lots of areas, and that kids must navigate. Yes they can cause issues but I am telling you now, no kid of mine would be going anywhere without one, because the odds of them facing something nasty in the streets round here are leagues over the odds of me facing it when I was a kid.

Schools I worked in just had them keep them in their bags. Most of the time it was absolutely fine.
Original post by 29swife
I agree about handing them in, but their argument is that they can't be responsible for all the phones, yet they can be responsible for confiscating phones. it doesn't make sense

many students live far away from the school and they won't be able to contact their parents or police if an emergency happens

There were no mobiles when I went to school; we coped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending