The Student Room Group

need some help with my personal statement and what to put in it!

hi
i've been told by my college that we need roughly 75% of our personal statement to be about our subject and 25% about ourselves. however i'm a bit stuck on what would fall into those percentages. where would volunteering, work experience, in school things for example fit? and what might you include in the 25% about yourself?
any help would be appreciated
thanks
Reply 1
hello,
I've written my personal statement recently and thought I could help. I started the personal statement with what course I wanted to do and a simple explanation of why. I then extended my reasoning in three paragraphs by illustrating what wider reading I have done (books I've read and work experience to go towards it), whilst ending each paragraph with why this has interested me in the course. My final paragraph consisted of stuff about me and any extra-curricular activities that have helped develop my skills in which would display why I am a good candidate. I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ^eloise
hello,
I've written my personal statement recently and thought I could help. I started the personal statement with what course I wanted to do and a simple explanation of why. I then extended my reasoning in three paragraphs by illustrating what wider reading I have done (books I've read and work experience to go towards it), whilst ending each paragraph with why this has interested me in the course. My final paragraph consisted of stuff about me and any extra-curricular activities that have helped develop my skills in which would display why I am a good candidate. I hope this helps :smile:

thank you so much, this really is so helpful!
Original post by marnicollins
hi
i've been told by my college that we need roughly 75% of our personal statement to be about our subject and 25% about ourselves. however i'm a bit stuck on what would fall into those percentages. where would volunteering, work experience, in school things for example fit? and what might you include in the 25% about yourself?
any help would be appreciated
thanks

Hi @marnicollins,

I agree with @^eloise and would like to further expand on their idea. When speaking of your subject, it's important to highlight and emphasise your depth of knowledge for the course wish to enrol into. Perhaps you could choose one or two theories, events, journal articles that relate to your course and speak about how that specific event or theory inspired you to decide your course. Additionally, you could briefly mention the subjects you studied in college and speak on a certain topic that you are knowledgable on and how it captivated your interest to further pursue it in university. This would be included in the 75%.

Remember that there are hundreds of other like-minded students like yourself applying to the same course. Your personal statement is your one opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge and passion towards the course. The remaining 25% could entail your work and volunteering experiences, this is where you could further elaborate on how these experiences built character and how these traits could be applied to potential career prospects.

Hope this helps,
Danish :smile:
BCU Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @marnicollins,

I agree with @^eloise and would like to further expand on their idea. When speaking of your subject, it's important to highlight and emphasise your depth of knowledge for the course wish to enrol into. Perhaps you could choose one or two theories, events, journal articles that relate to your course and speak about how that specific event or theory inspired you to decide your course. Additionally, you could briefly mention the subjects you studied in college and speak on a certain topic that you are knowledgable on and how it captivated your interest to further pursue it in university. This would be included in the 75%.

Remember that there are hundreds of other like-minded students like yourself applying to the same course. Your personal statement is your one opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge and passion towards the course. The remaining 25% could entail your work and volunteering experiences, this is where you could further elaborate on how these experiences built character and how these traits could be applied to potential career prospects.

Hope this helps,
Danish :smile:
BCU Student Rep

thank you, this is very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending