The Student Room Group

How much money do I need in London?

I am starting uni in London in October, if my accommodation is paid how much more money do i need every month to survive?
Hi there!

It really depends on your lifestyle. If you like to go out a lot, eat out, party, do your shopping on expensive supermarkets, etc, your living expenses will be higher than if you are a bit more judicious with your going outs, cook at home, do your shopping in cheap places...

If it's of any use, I plan on living on £40 a week in London, with hopes of making do with a little bit less than that. If my calculations are correct, that will do for my food, travel and dine out once or twice a month, plus a little extra for events and going outs and whatnot, but that's me and my circumstances, which might not be you. You might be able to make do with less, or more likely need a little bit more. If you haven't done so, you should make a budget, really useful stuff to anticipate expenditures and keep your spending under control :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hi there!

It really depends on your lifestyle. If you like to go out a lot, eat out, party, do your shopping on expensive supermarkets, etc, your living expenses will be higher than if you are a bit more judicious with your going outs, cook at home, do your shopping in cheap places...

If it's of any use, I plan on living on £40 a week in London, with hopes of making do with a little bit less than that. If my calculations are correct, that will do for my food, travel and dine out once or twice a month, plus a little extra for events and going outs and whatnot, but that's me and my circumstances, which might not be you. You might be able to make do with less, or more likely need a little bit more. If you haven't done so, you should make a budget, really useful stuff to anticipate expenditures and keep your spending under control :smile:

thank you
@beano77

It depends on how close you are to the university. Will you need to take public transport or are you able to walk?

It also depends on how much of a coffee drinker you are. It's about £4 for a decent coffee in London, though you may be able to benefit from a reward or a student discount which helps. In addition, you could always bring your own coffee flask with you or at a minimum, use reusable cup to save money.

Food is expensive in London so it's best to bring your own lunch to uni. Not thinking about student discount/student union prices on campus, a decent lunch e.g. from a street food market is £8-10. Grocery shopping is also more expensive in central London than shopping done further away from the centre, where there are a range of stores and where stores are normally bigger.

There is a lot to allure you into spending heavily in a big city (whether that's going to the theatre, clothes shopping, or going to a new restaurant so do try to budget, but also make sure that you enjoy your time in London : ) so if you want to go on the London Eye ( do it) and if you want to go see a musical then go just space it out. Don't try and do everything at once!

All the best!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending