The Student Room Group

Budget

On average how much will a 1st uni student spend in a month
Original post by J00sh

Hey there @J00sh !
This completely depends on a lot of circumstances. For example, last year I was spending around £20 a week on food shopping so around £80ish a month and then I was putting £40 a month onto my Circuit Laundry card. I then also saved myself around £30 a month for any toiletries I needed. This has completely changed this year as food prices have gone up and I'm looking at more like £30-40 a week on food shopping so it completely depends. It also depends whether your student loan covers your rent costs as some of your extra money may have to go on covering that. In my case, neither my first year or second year finance covered my weekly rent so I had to use extra money on that. I'd like to say I usually spend around £180-200 on essentials but sometimes it can be more and sometimes it can be less. I remember there was one month last year that everything around me seemed to be breaking at once so that month I spent more. Then there can be some months where you don't need to repurchase any toiletries and you only end up buying basic foods. It completely depends.

Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any more questions...
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Hi there,

Please see below a link to a blog describing the average living costs for a student in England. Please note that this is subjective, and will largely depend on your lifetsyle. Different websites give slight variations in costs breakdown for a student, but they are a good way of gaining an initial rough idea, to know what to expect. It may be worth searching something like 'student living costs in *city where you are going to go to uni*'.

https://www.savethestudent.org/student-finance/university-study-cost.html#total

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @J00sh !
This completely depends on a lot of circumstances. For example, last year I was spending around £20 a week on food shopping so around £80ish a month and then I was putting £40 a month onto my Circuit Laundry card. I then also saved myself around £30 a month for any toiletries I needed. This has completely changed this year as food prices have gone up and I'm looking at more like £30-40 a week on food shopping so it completely depends. It also depends whether your student loan covers your rent costs as some of your extra money may have to go on covering that. In my case, neither my first year or second year finance covered my weekly rent so I had to use extra money on that. I'd like to say I usually spend around £180-200 on essentials but sometimes it can be more and sometimes it can be less. I remember there was one month last year that everything around me seemed to be breaking at once so that month I spent more. Then there can be some months where you don't need to repurchase any toiletries and you only end up buying basic foods. It completely depends.

Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any more questions...
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hey!
According to this article, "https://www.savethestudent.org/money/student-budgeting/student-budgeting.html," the average monthly expenditure for a student is around £ 924.

However, it's important to note that individual spending habits and circumstances can vary significantly. The amount a student spends depends on various factors, such as their location, lifestyle choices, accommodation type, and personal preferences. To get a more accurate and personalized understanding of student expenses, I highly recommend checking out the article provided. It offers detailed information on student budgeting, including tips and insights to help you manage your finances effectively. Remember that budgeting is an essential skill for students, and it's important to create a budget that suits your specific needs and circumstances.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Original post by J00sh

Hi! Budgeting at university will vary depending on your location and situation. For example, I lived at home (commuting) for the first half of year 1, so my spending was relatively low due to no accommodation fees, but because I was commuting from outside of London to Whitechapel for my course, my travel expenses were higher. Towards the end of first year I moved into accommodation and began paying frequently for food, laundry, and rent etc. This was more expensive due to being in London as opposed to outside of the city, but with budgeting it was possible to keep it at a steady price each month, for example, food and toiletries for me was relatively manageable but this did not account for social events or getting food with friends and course-mates. However, in my second year, food shops and my rent have been more expensive, though social spending has decreased personally. It is hard to say how much you would spend in a month, but looking at your university location, and what expenses you will have, is a good place to start.

At my university, the faculty support team also offer helpful guidance; they will happily talk things through with us so that we understand how e.g. Student Finance works or what financial options are available to us (https://www.lis.ac.uk/undergraduate-degree/fees), as well as recommending nearby accommodations, which helped put my mind at ease a bit more when I decided to move to London mid-term! Talking to your university could be a useful place to ask any questions you might have too :smile:
@J00sh

It depends on a lot of things.

Come September there will be lots of deals for students who need to buy typical student things, but that may mean that you spend a lot of money in September and October and less in November when you have settled down and have most of the things you need.

If you bulk buy, you might spend a lot initially buying rice, cooking sauces, tinned food etc but then it might help you to save money later.

It depends on how much you cook (and what you cook) and how much junk food or takeaways you eat.

It depends on how often you go home and if you need to take transport to uni.

It depends on societies you want to join and socials and if you join the gym.

It depends on how many washing machines and dryers you use to do your laundry.

It depends on how much stuff you print out for lectures and seminars etc

There's also your mobile bill or any other direct debits you have or sign up for.

There may also be things recommended on your course, or which you might discover is useful once you start e.g. on my course there is an annual podiatry conference held over a weekend in Liverpool.

I think the main thing is that you should not panic if you spend a lot one month, but if you are consistently spending lots of money then you do need to reign in your finances, whether that's changing where you shop, the brands you buy, eating less junk food or printing less.

Keep an eye on your finances, but try not to worry if you know where the money is going!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student– University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending