The Student Room Group

Uni is so expensive - should i take a year out and reapply?

Hi, today I got my accommodation offer for Bristol (biochem) and it's fine, it's not what I hoped for, but it's a nice building and the flat isn't too big. The problem is that now that I'm properly working out my expenses, I found out I don't get as much bursary as I initially thought and I can only scrape by in 1st year. Since 2nd year is so much more expensive on private Bristol rents and added utilities, I'm really worried I just won't be able to afford uni by second year - I get almost the full maintenance loan, and don't understand how everyone else does this?!?

I got AAA on results day biology, chemistry and english lit, and would have made the offer from Imperial college london that i turned down (which would have given me a 5k bursary, and after considering that bristol is almost as expensive as london, it would have worked out cheaper/easier). i'm now really regretting turning them down, and considering whether it would be worth it to defer/reapply and work for a year to save up the money, or reapply to imperial and then have a bursary as well. I have so many friends who are staying back for a year because of various circumstances, and when everyone asks me about uni I can't say I'm excited right now because honestly it fills me with dread. i don't want to spend however much in student loans only to spend my entire time worrying about money

p.s. sorry about the forum placing the tool was very hard to use
Reply 1
Have you thought about getting a part time job while at uni? That's what I plan to do if I get in next year.
Reply 2
No point going on about past offers. I really regret having Bristol as just an insurance and now worrying about accommodation!

My two cents - there will be other grants and bursaries to apply for once you start. If you work full time next Summer then that should also help.
Original post by basilpl4nt
Hi, today I got my accommodation offer for Bristol (biochem) and it's fine, it's not what I hoped for, but it's a nice building and the flat isn't too big. The problem is that now that I'm properly working out my expenses, I found out I don't get as much bursary as I initially thought and I can only scrape by in 1st year. Since 2nd year is so much more expensive on private Bristol rents and added utilities, I'm really worried I just won't be able to afford uni by second year - I get almost the full maintenance loan, and don't understand how everyone else does this?!?

I got AAA on results day biology, chemistry and english lit, and would have made the offer from Imperial college london that i turned down (which would have given me a 5k bursary, and after considering that bristol is almost as expensive as london, it would have worked out cheaper/easier). i'm now really regretting turning them down, and considering whether it would be worth it to defer/reapply and work for a year to save up the money, or reapply to imperial and then have a bursary as well. I have so many friends who are staying back for a year because of various circumstances, and when everyone asks me about uni I can't say I'm excited right now because honestly it fills me with dread. i don't want to spend however much in student loans only to spend my entire time worrying about money

@basilpl4nt

Congratulations on your results :smile:

London is so expensive! Food in central London, accommodation, transport....it all adds up pretty quickly!!!

University is also expensive and there is no guarantee that if you turn Bristol down that Imperial will accept you next year.

Money is on a lot of people's minds ahead of university. University life is about learning to budget, not having much money, and thinking about life post uni, and the dream job which means you can stop living the student life!

Budgeting is going to be key and that's not easy, but other students will be doing the same. Make sure you eat well and look after yourself but try to keep an eye out your expenses.

Avoid buying coffee all the time. When you do buy coffee try and purchase it where you get a discount or where prices are reasonable e.g. at your Student Union. Ideally, bring coffee with you.

Avoid eating takeaways as much as possible.

Cook food that you can make two-three meals from and freeze.

Join one or two societies but weight up the expenses beforehand.

Think carefully before you join the gym or take out any new direct debits.

When your maintenance loan comes in try to save some of it, so that you have something if you should need it. Also look into work with the uni or a seasonal job. Summer jobs also work really well and could help you save money ahead of second year.

Focus on the course that you about to begin, meeting lots of new people and living in a new area. There is so much to be excited about : )

There will be some challenges adapting to student life but that doesn't mean they will be insurmountable!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by basilpl4nt

Hi, Congratulation on your offer at Bristol and understand your concern regarding the costs involved. Have you considered maybe taking a part time job whilst you are studying to help with the living cost? You can also worked during the summer.

It is important to balance out your studies and work, so whether you will be able to focus on your studies and achieve good results is definitely something you should think about too.

I know some Universities do offer part-time jobs to their students, though this income may only be sufficient to cover some of the living expenses. Perhaps have a look and see if your University offers any opportunities for work.

Some Universities may offer the opportunity to defer a year and then come back for studies, so perhaps you can contact your course and see if they can help.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending