The Student Room Group

Moving to London.. help

Me and my long-term bf are moving down to London in Autumn of this year. All kinds of circumstances mean that it's going to be basically on me to find a flat for us, go to view it etc.
The only thing is I'm originally from a very rural area and I have no idea how this works... where I'm from you would probably have about a week or 2 to sort all these things out, but from my research it seems like if you want a flat in London you likely won't even have the chance to view it (since they're in such high demand). I wouldn't say I'm that picky but if I'm spending upwards of £1k a month on rent/bills I wanna see the place beforehand!

I don't know what to do next, do I need to register my interest in finding a flat with some kind of estate agent? Am I doing all this too early? I legit have no idea
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Eleanorld
Me and my long-term bf are moving down to London in Autumn of this year. All kinds of circumstances mean that it's going to be basically on me to find a flat for us, go to view it etc.
The only thing is I'm originally from a very rural area and I have no idea how this works... where I'm from you would probably have about a week or 2 to sort all these things out, but from my research it seems like if you want a flat in London you likely won't even have the chance to view it (since they're in such high demand). I wouldn't say I'm that picky but if I'm spending upwards of £1k a month on rent/bills I wanna see the place beforehand!

I don't know what to do next, do I need to register my interest in finding a flat with some kind of estate agent? Am I doing all this too early? I legit have no idea

From what I understand it is cut throat and £1k a months seems a bit light if you want slightly more than a small portion of a garage. You are just going to have to go in eyes wide open. But equally, if you are planning to move to London, perhaps there is still time to move elsewhere?

Good luck - I don't envy you.
Reply 2
Oh yeah I should've made it clearer, we're both putting in £1k each so the budget is really more like £2.2k
As someone from rural Wales, London is the last place I really wanna move to but that's where he's from and wants to be near his family and I don't really get on with mine so it makes sense to move down there it's just so daunting :/
Oh yeah I should've made it clearer, we're both putting in £1k each so the budget is really more like £2.2k
As someone from rural Wales, London is the last place I really wanna move to but that's where he's from and wants to be near his family and I don't really get on with mine so it makes sense to move down there it's just so daunting :/

£2k+ will give you options though it depends whereabouts in London you want to live. Where will you both be working?

In the meantime check out Zoopla, Rightmove and spareroom.
Reply 4
His family live in Hackney which I think is east London so no more than 5-10miles away ideally.

He’s got work lined up doing like corporate banking (he’s finishing up his 3rd year in business management rn) and I’ll just take any job I can get, I’ve still got 1 more year of open uni left so I’ll be mostly studying but I do get student finance.

I check all them everyday… religiously 😂 but the problem is everytime I see something I like no more than 3 days later it’s gone. We’re also looking for a whole flat to ourselves rather than a room in a house, it seems to be reasonably possible though from what I’ve seen so far they just go so fast
His family live in Hackney which I think is east London so no more than 5-10miles away ideally.

He’s got work lined up doing like corporate banking (he’s finishing up his 3rd year in business management rn) and I’ll just take any job I can get, I’ve still got 1 more year of open uni left so I’ll be mostly studying but I do get student finance.

I check all them everyday… religiously 😂 but the problem is everytime I see something I like no more than 3 days later it’s gone. We’re also looking for a whole flat to ourselves rather than a room in a house, it seems to be reasonably possible though from what I’ve seen so far they just go so fast

Have you looked round Tottenham Hale or Blackhorse Lane? Quick journeys to the City and Hackney.
Reply 6
I just type in Hackney and within 10miles in the search bar so I don't think there's many available there that I can see around there, I have seen a few in Edmonton though..
What would be the worst places in that kinda area though? I've only visited a couple of times and really only went to Hackney/Stratford/Dalston and they all seemed mostly okay to me
I just type in Hackney and within 10miles in the search bar so I don't think there's many available there that I can see around there, I have seen a few in Edmonton though..
What would be the worst places in that kinda area though? I've only visited a couple of times and really only went to Hackney/Stratford/Dalston and they all seemed mostly okay to me

I'm confused. I can see thousands of flats for rent on Zoopla using those criteria.

Edmonton isn't great though the Hackney/Stratford/Dalston area is much better - and therefore more expensive.
Reply 8
Oh yeah there are a lot of options out there but the majority are house shares or like one big room and a front door which isn't what we're after
The main reason the one's I like go so fast I think is because of the type of flat it is, rather than just a studio flat where it's one room with a bed and a stove, we want separate rooms for kitchen/bedroom/living room which I know is bit of wishful thinking on our part with our budget...
I've put a picture in of what I mean of like just a room with a front door and that's the whole 'flat'. I do realise though that this is probably my country thinking where you just get sooo much more for your money xD
flat.png
Oh yeah there are a lot of options out there but the majority are house shares or like one big room and a front door which isn't what we're after
The main reason the one's I like go so fast I think is because of the type of flat it is, rather than just a studio flat where it's one room with a bed and a stove, we want separate rooms for kitchen/bedroom/living room which I know is bit of wishful thinking on our part with our budget...
I've put a picture in of what I mean of like just a room with a front door and that's the whole 'flat'. I do realise though that this is probably my country thinking where you just get sooo much more for your money xD
flat.png

Well, that desire is causing you a lot of problems. Perhaps you need to adapt to how people live in London? 😃

That said...

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/66485015/

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/66633200/

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/66630633/

Etc
Reply 10
Yeah you're probably right there it'll be such a learning curve! xD

But thanks for pointing me to zoopla I hadn't heard of it before, looks like some good places on there
Yeah you're probably right there it'll be such a learning curve! xD

But thanks for pointing me to zoopla I hadn't heard of it before, looks like some good places on there

Yep, you probably need to change your mindset!

Agreed, Zoopla and Rightmove dominate the sales and rental market. For the latter you need to be prepared. Make sure you have your deposit etc easy to access. Come down and stay with someone so you can inspect properties and make quick decisions.
Reply 12
I think we're pretty financially prepared, but its probably the quick decisions that worries me the most

Since we'd be moving in Sep/Oct there's not many options for me to stay down in London for a while to go and view the properties really quickly.. I'd be back in Wales until we move, but it only would take me a maximum of 4hrs to get down there if needs be. Is that something you think would put some landlords off, me needing a few hours to a day in advance to make my way down south?
I think we're pretty financially prepared, but its probably the quick decisions that worries me the most

Since we'd be moving in Sep/Oct there's not many options for me to stay down in London for a while to go and view the properties really quickly.. I'd be back in Wales until we move, but it only would take me a maximum of 4hrs to get down there if needs be. Is that something you think would put some landlords off, me needing a few hours to a day in advance to make my way down south?

Couldn't you stay with his family?

Landlords/agents just want you to turn up at the scheduled time, they won't care how long it takes you to get there.
Reply 14
His parents are pretty strictly religious, they don't really meet their kids' partners until they're engaged or living together for a while so that's really off the table

I have an aunt I can stay with but not for very long (I'd be on her couch) I'm also not sure on how fast they'd offer a viewing, like the same day or maybe 2 days later?

Also thanks for being patient, I really am clueless with the pace of all this :smile:
Reply 15
A budget of £2.2k should give you lots of options for your own 1/2 bed flat so that's a good start - you won't be restricted to just looking at studios.

In terms of areas - in addition to East London, Clapham and surrounding areas is/was pretty popular if south west london appeals (OK for the city but a little bit of a trek to Canary Wharf).

Yes living in London will be a bit of a shock coming from rural wales, but there's so much to do and see - I moved to London c6 years ago and wasn't particularly keen on the idea at the time, didn't like the idea of the big (huge) city, but actually enjoyed it so much more than I thought, still here and don't see that changing for some time

At the moment your probably a bit early - most properties that come on the market will have a tenant leaving in c2 months or so, which means landlords want a tenant moving in shortly after. Around 3 months from your move-in date is when they'll be lots on the market that will suit your move in date. For now I'd recommend exploring different areas, getting a feel for what you'll get for your money, and then really hitting the search hard starting from about 3.5 months out.

Estate agents will do virtual video viewings which can be good, being quick is the important thing - if you see a place you like get the viewing booked in asap (couple of days time max) and get offer in soon. It is a bit tricky when you're not local to London but don't worry about finding the perfect place - find somewhere that's good enough for the two of you, and you can always & more easily move to a better flat after a year.
His parents are pretty strictly religious, they don't really meet their kids' partners until they're engaged or living together for a while so that's really off the table

I have an aunt I can stay with but not for very long (I'd be on her couch) I'm also not sure on how fast they'd offer a viewing, like the same day or maybe 2 days later?

Also thanks for being patient, I really am clueless with the pace of all this :smile:

Good advice above.

No worries, we all start with no experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending