The Student Room Group

How can I help a Y12 who wants to apply for chemical engineering?

I applied for physics, so I'm not very sure about engineering in general.

Some advice I had given to start doing some general supercurriculars now in Y12, e.g. some irl and online Olympiads (SMC, ACOT, Physics Brawl), read a couple chapters from books that can also serve as chem/physics revision and deeper reading, or a couple chapters from a chemical engineering intro book. [I recommended doing a lot early in Y12 because that's what I did and it really helped cuz I could focus on A Levels in Y13 and gotten early offers, then again I applied Oxbridge so it's pretty much necessary.]

Not sure what else I can say tbh. Any ideas?
Reply 1
Could you apply to some process engineering firms and ask to go in for a couple of days work experience? My mate is a process engineer. He has worked in all manner of areas from Nuclear decommissioning, pharmaceutics and now flies around Europe troubleshooting dog food factories! Basically anything that has some sort of process that involves mixing things together has a process engineer behind it. No idea why it is called chemical engineering at uni. No such thing in the real word! :-)

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest