The Student Room Group

What are my chances to get into these universities?

Hi all. I've already sent the UCAS application. However, now at the moment, I'm wondering what are the chances of me getting into the universities I applied to.

First of all I applied to chemical engineering & biotechnology in Cambridge, chemical engineering for Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, and Manchester.

The predicted grade sent to these schools is 44.
Physics HL - 7, Chemistry HL - 7, Mathematics AA - HL, Economics SL - 7, Korean Lit SL - 7, English A Literature&Language SL - 6, EE (Physics) - A, TOK - B.

My IGCSE grades aren't that great as our school turned into non-exam route due to COVID and the exam boards were being strict (I think). The grade in bracket was the expected grade from my school
Cambridge - Mathematics - A* (A*), Additional Mathematics - A (A*), Computer Science - A (A*), English Language - B (A), English Literature - B (A), Business Studies - B (A)
Edexcel - Physics - 8 (9), Chemistry - 9 (9), Biology - 9 (9), Economics - 8 (9).

I participated in several UKMT IMC and SMC receiving all gold some with few marks and attended Hamilton - Merit, Maclaurin - Distinction, BMO Round 1 - Merit.
I also participated in UKChO in y11 received, y12 received silver and attended BPhO Round 1 and received Bronze I.

In school, I was the deputy head boy, created a UKMT society and led the science society as a leader.

What do you guys think my chance of getting an offer from the universities I applied are? Also, is IGCSE grades really important compared to rest of the components (personal statement, predicted grade, NSAA)?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by username6524872
Hi all. I've already sent the UCAS application. However, now at the moment, I'm wondering what are the chances of me getting into the universities I applied to.

First of all I applied to chemical engineering & biotechnology in Cambridge, chemical engineering for Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, and Manchester.

Physics HL - 7, Chemistry HL - 7, Mathematics AA - HL, Economics SL - 7, Korean Lit SL - 7, English A Literature&Language SL - 6, EE (Physics) - A, TOK - B.

My IGCSE grades aren't that great as our school turned into non-exam route due to COVID and the exam boards were being strict (I think). The grade in bracket was the expected grade from my school
Cambridge - Mathematics - A* (A*), Additional Mathematics - A (A*), Computer Science - A (A*), English Language - B (A), English Literature - B (A), Business Studies - B (A)
Edexcel - Physics - 8 (9), Chemistry - 9 (9), Biology - 9 (9), Economics - 8 (9).

I participated in several UKMT IMC and SMC receiving all gold some with few marks and attended Hamilton - Merit, Maclaurin - Distinction, BMO Round 1 - Merit.
I also participated in UKChO in y11 received, y12 received silver and attended BPhO Round 1 and received Bronze I.

In school, I was the deputy head boy, created a UKMT society and led the science society as a leader.

What do you guys think my chance of getting an offer from the universities I applied are? Also, is IGCSE grades really important compared to rest of the components (personal statement, predicted grade, NSAA)?

How do your grades compare to the requirements?
Reply 2
Have you included an obvious Insurance choice asking for lower grades?

Nobody can tell but you have taken extremely competitive universities. You might end up with 5 offers or 5 rejections. The general advice is to have at least 1 or better 2 safe choices but you have decided against that. It is now down to hope and wait and see which of the above scenarios will happen or possible getting some offers but not others.
Agree with the above, the limiting factor here is not your predictions but how competitive those unis are.

You'll be seriously considered is about as comittal as anyone can be.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Nobody can tell but you have taken extremely competitive universities. You might end up with 5 offers or 5 rejections. The general advice is to have at least 1 or better 2 safe choices but you have decided against that. It is now down to hope and wait and see which of the above scenarios will happen or possible getting some offers but not others.

maybe he/she thought Manchester as a safety school? from what i know, isn't Manchester quite generous in giving offers?

but other schools, definitely agree with others. Cambridge, ICL, UCL gotta say they are pretty much luck dependent as well. I would say Edinburgh is less competitive than the other three but is still a hard school to get an offer from.

I would say IGCSE is not THAT important to the schools you are applying to.
Original post by lifesohard
maybe he/she thought Manchester as a safety school? from what i know, isn't Manchester quite generous in giving offers?

but other schools, definitely agree with others. Cambridge, ICL, UCL gotta say they are pretty much luck dependent as well. I would say Edinburgh is less competitive than the other three but is still a hard school to get an offer from.

I would say IGCSE is not THAT important to the schools you are applying to.

There's a remarkable similarity between your IGCSE results and predictions, and the IB predictions you list in your thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7412912

and the same details that the OP lays out in this thread...
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
There's a remarkable similarity between your IGCSE results and predictions, and the IB predictions you list in your thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7412912

and the same details that the OP lays out in this thread...

ahahahahahh yep. but i applied to med school. im taking bio, chem, math aa hl and business, eng A, chinese b sl and only applied to cambridge, icl, and ucl since my major goal is US like johns hopkins.

i guess this person is also from China
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by lifesohard
ahahahahahh yep. but i applied to med school. im taking bio, chem, math aa hl and business, eng A, chinese b sl and only applied to cambridge, icl, and ucl since my major goal is US like johns hopkins.

i guess this person is also from China

An interesting assumption. And you both share the same worries about the importance of IGCSEs?
Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot
An interesting assumption. And you both share the same worries about the importance of IGCSEs?

i guess so? it's probably cultural stuff - like you should get all A* or something to get into best universities in most countries in Asia

Your grades are good! The main thing is that these universities are all quite competitive. I am applying to the same universities (swap edinburgh for leeds) and the same course (except integrated year in industry at manchester). I don't really know much about the IGCSE stuff, but it seems good enough. When applying to unis as competitive as these, I dont expect to get into all of them, it wont be shocking just to get into 2. Since Cambridge, UCL and Imperial are all incredibly competitive, and even just boils down to luck, especially with the london unis. NSAA is quite important, but at Cambridge you are looked at quite holistically, so school, area, grades, personal statement, additional p.s and stuff, to be honest I flopped the NSAA :frown: so I have accepted defeat :biggrin:. You have a strong chance of getting into Manchester and Edinburgh though, since they are (slightly) less competitive. Good luck, and be confident, getting into any of these universities is a massive achievement!!! :biggrin:
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending