The Student Room Group

Choice of degree to pursure

Hi, I will be starting university from Sep 2024. Till now, I always thought I should pursue aeronautical engineering, but I had an idea to check requirements for degree in AI.

I am unsure if the teachers and courses will be any good in the UK, as AI is a relatively new field. And are there good job prospects in this field?

If anyone has taken a degree in AI, pls help and pls suggest some good universities who accept IB score of 38.
Original post by _keshika._v
Hi, I will be starting university from Sep 2024. Till now, I always thought I should pursue aeronautical engineering, but I had an idea to check requirements for degree in AI.

I am unsure if the teachers and courses will be any good in the UK, as AI is a relatively new field. And are there good job prospects in this field?

If anyone has taken a degree in AI, pls help and pls suggest some good universities who accept IB score of 38.

Use (https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2022/sep/24/the-guardian-university-guide-2023-the-rankings) to find your degrees that sound interesting and you'll find very useful information. For more detail on specific courses use (https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/) and (https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-finder/results/). Hope this helps :smile:

Well, it's always challenging to come up with a good choice, however,, it's important to listen to your heart desire, AI may seem to attract good income but trust me, following your heart may mean a lot and basically, this will give you life meaning
Hi there,

I would advise you to consider which course interests you more, which would you like to keep learning about and deepen your understanding of, which would offer you more jobs or a better career, consider your future employment options, which career path would you enjoy more, think what do you dislike about each course, which would you consider more mainstream, which one sparks your imagination for further reseach and study and would you like to do a Master's degree or doctorate in one of them.

I know it's a lot of questions and consideration as it is an important choice you will have to make. However, I hope it will help you make a decision. Some self-evaluation and reflection is always good ;-)

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie

LSBU Rep
Reply 6
I've heard

From whom - and how are they measuring this.
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
From whom - and how are they measuring this.

The career counsellors at my school. They said UK is not that advanced in the field of AI, so I should apply to USA.
Reply 8
The career counsellors at my school. They said UK is not that advanced in the field of AI, so I should apply to USA.

Probably total nonsense then.

And unless your parents have very deep pockets, studying in the US is a ££££££ non-starter.

If you want to experience USA as part of your degree, then opt for one here with a Study Abroad option.
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
Probably total nonsense then.

And unless your parents have very deep pockets, studying in the US is a ££££££ non-starter.

If you want to experience USA as part of your degree, then opt for one here with a Study Abroad option.

Alright, thank you!
Reply 10
What is your budget for studying and what level of grades do you have?
Reply 11
Original post by ajj2000
What is your budget for studying and what level of grades do you have?

I am studying in the IB curriculum. I haven't received PGs yet, but I think I'll get around 36 or 37 out of 42.

English SL - 6
French SL - 7
Digital Society HL - 7
Chemistry SL - 6
Maths AA HL - 6
Physics HL - 6

Tuition fees is not an issue, I just need to get into a good uni.
Reply 12
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi there,

I would advise you to consider which course interests you more, which would you like to keep learning about and deepen your understanding of, which would offer you more jobs or a better career, consider your future employment options, which career path would you enjoy more, think what do you dislike about each course, which would you consider more mainstream, which one sparks your imagination for further reseach and study and would you like to do a Master's degree or doctorate in one of them.

I know it's a lot of questions and consideration as it is an important choice you will have to make. However, I hope it will help you make a decision. Some self-evaluation and reflection is always good ;-)

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie

LSBU Rep

I am interested in both Aeronautics and Artificial Intelligence, so I don't know which one to choose.
Reply 13
I am studying in the IB curriculum. I haven't received PGs yet, but I think I'll get around 36 or 37 out of 42.

English SL - 6
French SL - 7
Digital Society HL - 7
Chemistry SL - 6
Maths AA HL - 6
Physics HL - 6

Tuition fees is not an issue, I just need to get into a good uni.

If money isn't an issue why not apply to both US and UK universities and see what happens? UIUC, Rutgers, Stevens, and UT Dallas would be sensible reaches in the US. Perhaps Rochester also. I think you might need slightly higher grades for strong UK universities but look at Glasgow and Southampton for a start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending