The Student Room Group

Is this set of A-Level choices suitable for law?

I am aiming for Russel Group Universities to study my LLB.

Geography
English Literature
Economics.

At GCSE, I do best in English Literature and Geography. These are also the subjects I enjoy the most.
The third option has been hard to pick for me- the sixth form I wish to attend has no option for Law A-Level (which is controversial in terms of importance anyway) and I initially thought of choosing History- but I did not do it at GCSE, which I think would majorly disadvantage me.

So I’m really not sure. I’ve heard that strong academics in any subject is enough, alongside essay-writing skills.
It’s a shame you can’t study law.

Your choices are fine
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
there’s definitely no set a-levels for law (as long as they’re facilitated subjects for the unis you’ll apply to, which yours are). obviously they want examples of you being a strong essay-writer which you definitely have. history is one of those humanities, but i would hesitate to take it if you didn’t do it at gcse just to stay safe, and your a-levels are good! law as an a-level offers no benefit to your application so it’s not a disadvantage at all- many schools offer it and people who want to do law still don’t choose it. good luck, those a-levels are good choices :smile:
Original post by ClementH
I am aiming for Russel Group Universities to study my LLB.

Geography
English Literature
Economics.

At GCSE, I do best in English Literature and Geography. These are also the subjects I enjoy the most.
The third option has been hard to pick for me- the sixth form I wish to attend has no option for Law A-Level (which is controversial in terms of importance anyway) and I initially thought of choosing History- but I did not do it at GCSE, which I think would majorly disadvantage me.

So I’m really not sure. I’ve heard that strong academics in any subject is enough, alongside essay-writing skills.

Hi there

For a Law degree, any A levels will be fine. In my opinion, not picking history does not really disadvantage you. (The only link between History A levels to a law degree, is perhaps learning to link to historical concepts to principles of law? I would not worry about this though: you will be taught the history of law in University if you are expected to write about it). I personally did not take History, which is not really having an impact on my degree.

Your A level subjects can make quite a strong application if backed up with a good Personal Statement. Geography and English Literature are really nice choices, they help you develop strong writing skills which will definitely be helpful in a law degree. Economics is also good choice, especially if you are interested in going into commercial law. (If not, there are many transferrable skills which you can gain through the course).
So the aim is to achieve strong academic skills. Essay writing really comes with practice (which I am sure can be gained throughout your A levels).

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent (3rd Year Law Student)

Quick Reply

Latest