The Student Room Group

Mechatronic engineering vs mechanical engineering

I missed my firm choice university today. needed A*AB and i received A*BB. missed my physics grade by a few marks!

I have an insurance offer for mechanical engineering or a potential clearing offer for mechatronic and robotic engineering.

what would the pros and cons of these be? im worried about mechatronic and robotics being too specified as im not 100% sure what I would like to do with my degree

thanks in advance x
Original post by HClarkson05
I missed my firm choice university today. needed A*AB and i received A*BB. missed my physics grade by a few marks!

I have an insurance offer for mechanical engineering or a potential clearing offer for mechatronic and robotic engineering.

what would the pros and cons of these be? im worried about mechatronic and robotics being too specified as im not 100% sure what I would like to do with my degree

thanks in advance x

The first thing I would do is to check with your firm choice whether missing by a few marks would mean that you can potentially still be accepted onto the course. If it's a firm no, then I would look at the insurance offers/clearing.

If you don't know what you want to do with your degree, I would recommend going for mechanical engineering as opposed to mechatronic.
Whilst you can get into a lot of jobs with mechatronics, it's not as broad as mechanical, especially if the institution/employer specifically wants a degree accredited by iMechE.
Original post by HClarkson05

thanks in advance x

What subject was your firm choice? If it was mechanical, and you have an insurance for mechanical, and are not sure about mechatronics, I wouldn't take up the mechatronics clearing offer. You can work in robotics with a mechanical degree (though electronics or computer science would probably be better bets).

Quick Reply

Latest