The Student Room Group

I hate being religious and it's making me depressed

For a couple years, I've been distancing myself from God and I haven't prayed in so long and I just don't feel like doing all of this. I still believe God exists and I made dua for my family and belive in Heaven and Hell but I just don't want to be a Muslim. Yes I understand that this necessarily isn't a good thing but hearing about death penalties for apostasy and my mum forcing religion into every conversation is so incredibly exhausting. People judge me for not wearing a hijab and so on and I have no one to talk about this. I know I most likely will go to Hell and all I can hope for is that Allah can forgive me. I don't want to pray and I don't want people to keep nagging me about being religious, I just want to have freedom and wear what I want and do what I want and not be judged for it, I desperately wish I was born in another religion or just not one at all. Please give me advice on what to do because I'm incredibly depressed and I never go out with my sister or mum because I think people will judge me for nor wearing a hijab and my mum/sister wearing one and thinking I'm stupid. I genuinely have no hope for my future because even if I go live by myself or go to uni my mum will still push me to be religious and no one I know would understand me and I just feel like ending tbh because there's no hope but I'm hoping there is and a opportunity will show. Please send some advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
For a couple years, I've been distancing myself from God and I haven't prayed in so long and I just don't feel like doing all of this. I still believe God exists and I made dua for my family and belive in Heaven and Hell but I just don't want to be a Muslim. Yes I understand that this necessarily isn't a good thing but hearing about death penalties for apostasy and my mum forcing religion into every conversation is so incredibly exhausting. People judge me for not wearing a hijab and so on and I have no one to talk about this. I know I most likely will go to Hell and all I can hope for is that Allah can forgive me. I don't want to pray and I don't want people to keep nagging me about being religious, I just want to have freedom and wear what I want and do what I want and not be judged for it, I desperately wish I was born in another religion or just not one at all. Please give me advice on what to do because I'm incredibly depressed and I never go out with my sister or mum because I think people will judge me for nor wearing a hijab and my mum/sister wearing one and thinking I'm stupid. I genuinely have no hope for my future because even if I go live by myself or go to uni my mum will still push me to be religious and no one I know would understand me and I just feel like ending tbh because there's no hope but I'm hoping there is and a opportunity will show. Please send some advice.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through a tough time. Remember, you're not alone, and there's hope for a brighter future. Prioritize your mental well-being. Seek support from friends or professionals, be patient with yourself, communicate openly with family, explore your options, practice self-care, educate yourself, and consider professional help if needed. You can navigate this.
Faith and religious beliefs are always a personal choice- not an automatic inheritance or an obligation. :smile:
Remember that you have the right to choose your religion, own clothes, religious beliefs and how you practice them.
Do not allow anybody to insult or tyrannise you for making your own life choices.
Nor try to shame you for not complying with family traditions or their favourite religious scriptural content.

Never forget that life is too short to waste your valuable time on corrosive negativity and anyone who adds little that is positive to your life.
You have the same freedom as every other reasonable person in the UK to choose the type of lifestyle and future direction of the life you want.
If you are interested in exploring a variety of religious teachings or communities, that's fine.
If not and you prefer not to get involved with any organised religion, that is also fine.

Put your health and safety first.
Particularly if there is any history of criminal abuse in your family tree or you are dependent upon religious relatives to provide you with the basics.
Food, shelter, share their financial information with student finance for your student loans.
Trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you.

I understand some of how you feel.
Islam was the first religion that I was taught, starting when I was 2 years old.
I always knew that I would never join the religion nor pretend to agree with its teachings.

My best friend is a follower of the shia islamic sect led by the aga khan, I'm english and in my late 20s. .
My maternal grandmother is a vicious catholic fanatic in her 80s, my father is a militant atheist.
Don't lose hope or allow a negative mindset to ruin your perception of the world.
The vicious cycle can be broken.

I escaped 10 years ago before a levels were over.
Will never speak to any of my surviving ancestors again or agree to any contact.
I live alone, work, study postgrad and volunteer.
I know how difficult it is to be struggling to survive in a controlling and toxic household with constant bullying, demands, religious preachings and other types of coercive & controlling behaviour or violent criminality.
I also know that it is possible to force an end to the vicious circle by moving forward, towards a life of freedom & independence.
Working towards building a happy and independent future.
Good luck!
Reply 3

may Allah guide you.

I believe that the reason your feelin hate towards Islam is because of your family, Islam is a loving religion and so many people misunderstand it and it honestly saddens me. The only thing that matters is your relationship with Allah, but also your family as we need to show respect too. read the Quran and maybe learn from the Quran yourself? Islam is a peaceful religion.
(edited 7 months ago)

Sister, for one this place is where many non-Muslims are so if you want advice you need to go to Assim Al Hakeem or IslamQA. But Insha'Allah I will help you.
You need to continue to ask Allah to remove these specious thoughts and continue to ask Allah (May he be glorified and exalted) for help.
1. Apostasy
The law of apostasy is only put in place in a Islamic State. So don't get this idea that Muslims are barging into peoples homes and interrogating them if they are an Apostate. People can apostatize in their hearts and no one will care and no death punishment will be applied. But for the one who is vocal about it and is openly encouraging Muslims to apostatize and cast doubts amongst them. Then they will be given a period of repentance. perhaps 3 days to a week. If they refuse to repent and insist on getting killed. Then kill them. So they had 2 chances to basically not expose it but they insist on dying. Sah? And for the Ahlul Kitab (People of the Book-Christians and Jews) reading this. Your scripture has the death penalty for apostatizing so don't try it with me boy.
6 “If your brother, the son of your mother, your son or your daughter, the wife [c]of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, secretly entices you, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which you have not known, neither you nor your fathers, 7 of the gods of the people which are all around you, near to you or far off from you, from one end of the earth to the other end of the earth, 8 you shall not [d]consent to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him or conceal him; 9 but you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. 10 And you shall stone him with stones until he dies, because he sought to entice you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. 11 So all Israel shall hear and fear, and not again do such wickedness as this among you.

6 “If your brother, the son of your mother, your son or your daughter, the wife [c]of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, secretly entices you, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which you have not known, neither you nor your fathers, 7 of the gods of the people which are all around you, near to you or far off from you, from one end of the earth to the other end of the earth, 8 you shall not [d]consent to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him or conceal him; 9 but you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. 10 And you shall stone him with stones until he dies, because he sought to entice you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. 11 So all Israel shall hear and fear, and not again do such wickedness as this among you.

“If your brother, the son of your mother, your son or your daughter, the wife [c]of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, secretly entices you, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which you have not known, neither you nor your fathers, 7 of the gods of the people which are all around you, near to you or far off from you, from one end of the earth to the other end of the earth, 8 you shall not [d]consent to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him or conceal him; 9 but you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. 10 And you shall stone him with stones until he dies, because he sought to entice you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage." (Deuteronomy 13:6)

But some Christian will probably say that the old law does not apply to us. That is because of what Paul told them. Jesus clearly said in the Bible that he has not come to abolish the old law of the Prophets. That's beside the point.

Anyways,
2. Hijab
Why would you not want to wear the Hijab? Allah has created you from nothing and has given you which you possess right now. I understand living in the West is hard but abiding by Allah's covenant is more important than societal norms. The Hijab is there to guard your modesty and not make your body as a pleasurable little doll for those men looking at you. The West thinks that wearing bikinis, mini skirts and all these seductive clothing is freedom and showing all that skin is great! I advise you sister to fear Allah.

Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful.” [al-Nur 24:31]

Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [al-Ahzab 33:59]

3. Islam
What makes you think that Islam is not the truth? For truth has been made apparent from falsehood. This religion and I promise you this, this religion is the only religion that has pure monotheism and WILL BE the ONLY religion that will be accepted by Allah. The Christians, they have a corrupted Bible and that religion changed by Paul and introduced pagan ideas. The Jews believe in a weak God that regrets creating Man and believe God rested on the 7th day after creating the Heavens and the Earth. This is not befitting for Allah. Glory is to Allah and to him we belong to and to HIM we shall all return. The Hindus believe in 30 Million plus Gods no need for an explanation. It is illogical. The Buddhist make idols of Buddha even though Buddha strongly forbade idol making. Islam is the ONLY WAY and this religion is preserved.

4. Salah
Why would you not want to perform Salah? Allah has given you so much but you do not want to perform a task that takes 5 minutes 5 times a day? Allah never wants to burden us but Allah is not asking much of us.

“Verily! I am Allah! La ilaha illa Ana (none has the right to be worshipped but I), so worship Me, and perform As-Salat for My Remembrance.” (20:14)

Say to My servants who have believed, that they should perform As-Salat, and spend in charity out of the sustenance We have given them, secretly and openly, before the coming of a Day on which there will be neither mutual bargaining nor befriending. (14:31)

The Prophet (pbuh) was asked: “Tell us, which action is dearest to Allah?” He answered: “To say your prayer at its proper time.” Again he was asked: “What comes next?” He said: “To show kindness to parents.” “Then what?” he was asked. The Prophet replied: “To strive for the cause of Allah!” (Bukhari)

And the first matter you will be asked about when you die is your Salah. This is how important your Salah is.

“The first matter that the slave will be brought to account for on the Day of Judgment is the prayer. If it is sound, then the rest of his deeds will be sound. And if it is incomplete, then the rest of his deeds will be incomplete.” (Sahih Al Tabarani)

And among the people of the Hellfire will be those who did not pray. Sister this is a wake up call. Fear Allah and his Messenger.

They (inhabitants of the fire) will say: “We were not of those who prayed.” (74:43 Quran)

In conclusion, you must turn your life around. Fear Allah. Indeed those who obey Allah and uphold his covenant will get the everlasting Paradise where that place will be infinitely better than this dunya.

“The description of Paradise which the righteous have been promised is that in it are rivers of water the taste and smell of which are not changed; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine delicious to those who drink; and rivers of clarified honey (clear and pure) therein for them is every kind of fruit; and forgiveness from their Lord..” (Surah Muhammad verse 15)

Just remember this life is a test. And all of you will return to Allah and will be accountable for what you do.

Who has created death and life, that He may test you which of you is best in deed.[] And He is the All-Mighty, the Oft-Forgiving; (Surah Al Mulk, Verse 2)

You should strive to seek knowledge about Islam by perhaps watching some Muslim da'wah YouTubers such as One Message Foundation.

I ask Allah to guide us all to the straight path and anything I said wrong due to ignorance then Allah forgive me.

All I read here is "Our God is bigger than your God"

May Allah guide you and may you find the beauty of Islam purely and truly from your Imaan.
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
All I read here is "Our God is bigger than your God"

Elaborate, how have you come to that conclusion

3. Islam
What makes you think that Islam is not the truth? For truth has been made apparent from falsehood. This religion and I promise you this, this religion is the only religion that has pure monotheism and WILL BE the ONLY religion that will be accepted by Allah. The Christians, they have a corrupted Bible and that religion changed by Paul and introduced pagan ideas. The Jews believe in a weak God that regrets creating Man and believe God rested on the 7th day after creating the Heavens and the Earth. This is not befitting for Allah. Glory is to Allah and to him we belong to and to HIM we shall all return. The Hindus believe in 30 Million plus Gods no need for an explanation. It is illogical. The Buddhist make idols of Buddha even though Buddha strongly forbade idol making. Islam is the ONLY WAY and this religion is preserved.

Original post by B7861
Elaborate, how have you come to that conclusion

I think the above extract is pretty self explanatory.
Reply 10

" I just don't want to be a Muslim"

"I desperately wish I was born in another religion or just not one at all."

These statements remove you from the fold of Islām and if you die upon this then there is no hope that Allāh will forgive you. The Jews and Christians believe that Allāh exists and that there is a heaven and hell, yet this is not enough to make them Muslims. If you don't even want Islām as your religion, then how can you possibly be a Muslim? If you believe in Allāh and His punishment, then why does this not frighten you? Haven't you heard that Allāh said (meaning): {But those who disbelieved will have cut out for them garments of fire. Poured upon their heads will be scalding water - by which is melted that within their bellies and [their] skins. And for them are hooked rods of iron (to punish them). Every time they want to get out of it [i.e., Hellfire] from anguish, they will be returned to it, and [it will be said], "Taste the punishment of the Burning Fire!"} [al-Hajj 22:19-22]

I advise you to turn back to Allāh because this life is nothing but a trial to determine our eternal destination. Don't be deceived by this lowly life and all it contains, for Allāh said (meaning): {Beautified for men is the love of things they covet; women, children, much of gold and silver (wealth), branded beautiful horses, cattle and well-tilled land. This is the pleasure of the present world’s life; but Allâh has the excellent return with Him. Say, "Shall I inform you of [something] better than that? For those who fear Allāh will be gardens in the presence of their Lord beneath which rivers flow, wherein they abide eternally, and purified spouses and approval from Allāh. And Allāh is Seeing [i.e., aware] of [His] servants - Those who say: "Our Lord! We have indeed believed, so forgive us our sins and save us from the punishment of the Fire."} [Āli 'Imrān 3:14-16] Why abandon the religion of your Creator just so you can wear some clothes? Will you really find joy in that? Or is it better that you follow the commandments of the one who created you and constantly provides for you, in order that he rewards you with pleasure which no eye has seen? Every blessing in your life is from Him - the water you drink, the food you eat, the clothes you wear, the eyes you see with - so will you not be grateful by obeying Him? You are scared of people judging you but you are heedless of their Creator who they will all stand before in fear, not caring in the slightest about you on that Day. {But as for he who is given his record in his left hand, he will say, “Oh, I wish I had not been given my record! And had not known what is my account. I wish my death had been the decisive one. My wealth has not availed me. Gone from me is my authority." [Allāh will say] Seize him and shackle him. Then into Hellfire drive him. Then into a chain whose length is seventy cubits insert him. Indeed, he did not used to believe in Allah, al-'Adheem (The Most Great), Nor did he encourage the feeding of the poor. So there is not for him here this Day any devoted friend. Nor any food except from the discharge of wounds.} [al-Haqqah 69:25-36]

Your reason for your misery is clear as Allāh said (meaning): {But whosoever turns away from My Reminder (i.e. neither believes in this Qur’ân nor acts on its teachings.) verily, for him is a life of hardship, and We shall raise him up blind on the Day of Resurrection.} [Tā Hā 20:124]. The only solution is to turn back to Allāh. Never will you find true happiness without turning to Him and being a true believer who obeys Him. The Messenger of Allaah said (meaning): "Wondrous is the affair of the believer for there is good for him in every matter and this is not the case with anyone except the believer. If he is happy, then he thanks Allah and thus there is good for him, and if he is harmed, then he shows patience and thus there is good for him." [Saheeh Muslim 2999]. So I advise you to turn to Allāh and ask Him for forgiveness and to start studying Islām properly, as this is the root of the problem. If you need anything further I am happy to help.
I'm not sure why people respond to someone expressly saying " I just don't want to be a RELIGION X" with "ahh, but have you considered maybe you do?".

londonmyst's advice is spot on as always.
Original post by Admit-One
I'm not sure why people respond to someone expressly saying " I just don't want to be a RELIGION X" with "ahh, but have you considered maybe you do?".

londonmyst's advice is spot on as always.

As respective thread responders who maybe brothers and sisters of Islam there’s nothing wrong in encouraging and supporting the OP
Original post by Mohammed_80
As respective thread responders who maybe brothers and sisters of Islam there’s nothing wrong in encouraging and supporting the OP

Supporting is fine, but I think when someone says "I don't want people to keep nagging me about being religious" it's an odd mindset to think "hmm, maybe I should encourage them to be more actively religious?".
Supporting is fine, but I think when someone says "I don't want people to keep nagging me about being religious" it's an odd mindset to think "hmm, maybe I should encourage them to be more actively religious?".

Yeah nagging not right
Original post by Mohammed_80
Yeah nagging not right

To be clear, sharing experience and advice is exactly what the OP is after, but I think quoting scripture or whatever is a bit much and not taking into account what they've said in their post.
To be clear, sharing experience and advice is exactly what the OP is after, but I think quoting scripture or whatever is a bit much and not taking into account what they've said in their post.

@Admit-One I can’t necessarily quote on behalf to those who post on the thread too but if you say so. :dontknow:

I am only but forbidding evil and enjoining good as the Qur'an has stated that the believers should do.

(3:110 Quran) "You are now the best people brought forth for (the guidance and reform of) mankind.[88] You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah. Had the People of the Book[89] believed it were better for them. Some of them are believers but most of them are transgressors."

I am advising this sister to fear Allah and turn back. But if she does reject the faith which I am hoping not I tried and Allah is my witness. There is no nagging here. I was simply reminding her of Allah's covenant that he bestowed upon us. There is no nagging here. Rather I am doing something praiseworthy since I am trying to push her away from Kufr (Disbelief) and into the path Allah ordained for us. And I do want the sister to enter heaven.
Reply 18
Hello there,
See in my opinion you do what makes you happy without any hesitation of what other thinks of you it is your life and no one has a right to speak in between, you are not living for them you are only living for yourself and as you said you still believe in god then you should know 'No' God hate his\her child.
Live your life to the fullest and spend time with your loved once.
I am only but forbidding evil and enjoining good as the Qur'an has stated that the believers should do.

(3:110 Quran) "You are now the best people brought forth for (the guidance and reform of) mankind.[88] You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah. Had the People of the Book[89] believed it were better for them. Some of them are believers but most of them are transgressors."

I am advising this sister to fear Allah and turn back. But if she does reject the faith which I am hoping not I tried and Allah is my witness. There is no nagging here. I was simply reminding her of Allah's covenant that he bestowed upon us. There is no nagging here. Rather I am doing something praiseworthy since I am trying to push her away from Kufr (Disbelief) and into the path Allah ordained for us. And I do want the sister to enter heaven.

If your posts weren't nagging, or boderline, you wouldn't need to repeatedly state that you are not nagging, (it would be self evident).

Again, I don't think you are taking into account what is written in the first post. I'll just quote myself to finish:

Quick Reply

Latest