The Student Room Group

[Official] Computer Science applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emkelt
if it helps i’m in the same boat at the moment

Oh. Hopefully we get invited for interview at least so we can prove ourselves. Yk how the TMUA results will be published at the end of November, does Cambridge get our scores before the result is released or after? Is it possible that they invite us before we know our results?
Cool, what are your predicted grades
Original post by jamest0394q
nice bro
im doing them two as well as manchester, durham and leeds
Original post by Arundejesh
Cool, what are your predicted grades

3 A* bro but i did maths cs french
thats why i didnt apply to cambridge or oxford
are your school lenient with predicted
(edited 6 months ago)
Nope they are very strict, going to a grammar school I tried getting the A increase cause I was a mark away and they denied it

3 A* bro but i did maths cs french
thats why i didnt apply to cambridge or oxford
are your school lenient with predicted
Nope they are very strict, going to a grammar school I tried getting the A increase cause I was a mark away and they denied it

unlucky bro
you could reapply next year with achieved grades
sorry to hear that though
A*AA wouldve been perfect
I am hopping if I apply to less popular unis like Leeds Cardiff and queen marry I might just scrape it in hopefully do you think that possible lol

unlucky bro
you could reapply next year with achieved grades
sorry to hear that though
A*AA wouldve been perfect
I am hopping if I apply to less popular unis like Leeds Cardiff and queen marry I might just scrape it in hopefully do you think that possible lol

well are you eligible for a contextual bro
its worth a try
also is there nothing you can do to persuade your school
1) Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics
2) Cambridge, Imperial College, UCL, Durham, Leeds
3) GCSEs: 9999988888 / A-Levels Predicted: A*A*A*A*
4) Enjoy maths and problem-solving and aim to be a software engineer
5) Sat TMUA already
6) Attended open days at Cambridge, Imperial and UCL
7) Excited to start Uni
8) No
Nope I have tried anything but I might be able to get the grades to A*A*b if teacher is lenient for bio, and no I am not eligible for the contextual. Just hoping I can get into carrot cause I meet the entry requirements

well are you eligible for a contextual bro
its worth a try
also is there nothing you can do to persuade your school
Original post by James Balleza
1) Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics
2) Cambridge, Imperial College, UCL, Durham, Leeds
3) GCSEs: 9999988888 / A-Levels Predicted: A*A*A*A*
4) Enjoy maths and problem-solving and aim to be a software engineer
5) Sat TMUA already
6) Attended open days at Cambridge, Imperial and UCL
7) Excited to start Uni
8) No

How did you find the TMUA? And also when do you think we’ll hear back from Cambridge.? Before the TMUA results are released or after?
Nope I have tried anything but I might be able to get the grades to A*A*b if teacher is lenient for bio, and no I am not eligible for the contextual. Just hoping I can get into carrot cause I meet the entry requirements

yhh bro i just say try go cardiff
good luck with it
Original post by Fndjdidisjb
How did you find the TMUA? And also when do you think we’ll hear back from Cambridge.? Before the TMUA results are released or after?

I found paper 1 really hard but paper 2 quite easy, so overall I think I did decently. Just hoping for a high enough score. I think we will hear back from Cambridge shortly after the TMUA results are released (28th November). How was it for you?
Original post by James Balleza
I found paper 1 really hard but paper 2 quite easy, so overall I think I did decently. Just hoping for a high enough score. I think we will hear back from Cambridge shortly after the TMUA results are released (28th November). How was it for you?

The papers weren’t that bad (not that they were easy at all) but time was a big problem. I ended up guessing a lot of them. Just stressed abt my score cuz I don’t think I did as well as I could’ve done. Scared they might reject pre interview
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 33

The papers weren’t that bad (not that they were easy at all) but time was a big problem. I ended up guessing a lot of them. Just stressed abt my score cuz I don’t think I did as well as I could’ve done. Scared they might reject pre interview

yeah me too— & paper 2 was definitely a lot lot easier than paper 1 imo, but hopefully everyone feels the same so the grades are different
Reply 34
1) Applying undergraduate. Currently studying BTEC (international) engineering, IB Maths AAHL, IB Physics HL
2) St Andrews, Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham, Sheffield.
3) iGCSEs: A*AA(CAIE)999998(Edexcel), BTEC (Level 2): D*, Year 13 predicted: D*D*D*, 7, 7
4) I enjoy how cs steals ideas from other subjects (mostly maths but also other natural sciences) to solve problems. Mainly looking at doing some combination of AI or robotics in future.
5) no admissions tests
6) won't be attending open days
7) Kinda nervous about starting uni but also excited
8) not applying other courses
Reply 35
1) What A Levels are you doing (or other eligible qualifications)? Are you applying for Postgraduate or Undergraduate?
A*A*A*A* in Chemistry, Computer Science, Further Maths and Maths and A* in EPQ. Applying for undergraduate.

2) What universities do you have your eyes on? And why?
1) Cambridge = Best in the country according to the rankings and well known worldwide reputation
2) Imperial = Worldwide reputation for being good in STEM
3) Durham = 4th in the UK rankings and I really liked the facility when I went on the Open Day
4) Edinburgh (got an offer already) = BEng course attracted me towards it and high up in the UK rankings and QS World rankings for 2024.
5) Manchester (Got an offer already) = Strong industrial links and links to Alan Turing.

3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE and Sixth Form?
GCSEs - 9999999988

4) Why Computer Science specifically?
I enjoy using maths and programming concepts to build solutions to problems.

5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit if any, and when will you start preparing for them?
TMUA (done and dusted with)- Started in July at the start of the summer holidays

Imperial's own test - Found out three days before the test and no prior preparation is needed.

6) Will you be attending any Open Days?

I went to Cambridge, Imperial and Durham.

7) How are you feeling about starting University?

Excited and I look forward to the independence and the necessity to do things for myself.

8) Other courses you're interested in?

I haven't really thought about it but maybe Maths or Engineering?
Reply 36

My TMUA was awful. I found Paper 1 really easy but ran out of time as I was transferring my answers across from the paper 1 question paper to the answer sheet. I finished all of the questions but only managed to transfer 9 answers across unfortunately.
Paper 2 is always the notorious one for me and I really struggled with it and I wasn't in the right mindset after not being able to transfer all of my answers across because essentially, it looks like I have only done 9 questions when the reality is far from the truth.
We hear back from Cambridge I think mid November and TMUA results come out end of November (which was written on the admissions testing.org website for the TMUA. There is a subheading in the nav bar called "Results" and the results come out on the 28th.
Reply 37
Original post by emkelt
Advanced highers (scottish equivalent of A levels): maths, physics, computing
predicted AAA (and band ones but we can’t submit them on ucas)
highers AAAAAA (all band ones)
applied to cambridge, st andrews, duhram, edinburgh, glasgow
i sat the TMUA last week, honestly no clue how i got on but not too confident. paper 1 was atrocious and paper 2 was lovely.

computer science is what i’ve done most for years and had my heart set on, and i love maths and logic as well so the maths parts of the academic programmes seems perfect

has anyone received an offer yet from any of these unis? or know when about they would be sent?

I got Edinburgh two weeks ago.
Yha I was like screw it and decided to apply to Warwick and Southampton

Original post by elizamilne
predicted same as u (math physics econ) are you applying to any schools w an a*? i am applying to bristol but nervous due to my predicteds
hopefully get a response from manchester at some point this week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending