The Student Room Group

[Official] Computer Science applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Arundejesh
Yha I was like screw it and decided to apply to Warwick and Southampton

@Arundejesh @elizamilne
You never know. You may get accepted. That's one thing about CompSci at university. They only care about Maths but if you are serious about taking up CompSci at uni, you need to supplement your free time with learning programming as that is the one pivotal aspect that your subjects will not give you knowledge about. Thankfully, we live in an age where information and knowledge is readily available if and when you go looking for it.

I know many cases where peoples' only links to Computer Science and they have been accepted into top places like Durham so you still have a good chance though you haven't taken Computer Science. I also know one case where the most CompSci oriented student in the year above (applied for 2023 entry) didn't get into Durham because they only just managed to meet the minimum entry requirements. It is all about your grades and whether you are good at Maths for CompSci at university.
Reply 41
We all have faith in you!!!
Original post by jamest0394q
hopefully get a response from manchester at some point this week
Original post by vnayak
We all have faith in you!!!

thank you bro🙏
Yha my A* is in maths and I did a few programming projects, so I added those into my personal statement. So yha just hopping, I get at least get one
Original post by vnayak
@Arundejesh @elizamilne
You never know. You may get accepted. That's one thing about CompSci at university. They only care about Maths but if you are serious about taking up CompSci at uni, you need to supplement your free time with learning programming as that is the one pivotal aspect that your subjects will not give you knowledge about. Thankfully, we live in an age where information and knowledge is readily available if and when you go looking for it.

I know many cases where peoples' only links to Computer Science and they have been accepted into top places like Durham so you still have a good chance though you haven't taken Computer Science. I also know one case where the most CompSci oriented student in the year above (applied for 2023 entry) didn't get into Durham because they only just managed to meet the minimum entry requirements. It is all about your grades and whether you are good at Maths for CompSci at university.
Reply 44
Original post by Arundejesh
Yha my A* is in maths and I did a few programming projects, so I added those into my personal statement. So yha just hopping, I get at least get one

If you don't mind me asking, where have you applied? And what are the ratios for applicants: offers?
think durham are giving out offers
just got one, im surprised though cause i expected to hear from them in like february/march
Reply 46
just got one, im surprised though cause i expected to hear from them in like february/march

Wow! Nice one, my friend! Your application must really be stellar for it to stand out to them and give you an early offer.
Reply 47

Just got an offer from Durham as well, like you I was not expecting to hear back from them this quickly! Congrats on getting in!
Reply 48
Original post by stn1y
Just got an offer from Durham as well, like you I was not expecting to hear back from them this quickly! Congrats on getting in!

Did they send you the notice on UCAS or was it on the Durham applicant portal??
Reply 49
Congrats on getting in!

Original post by stn1y
Original post by vnayak
Wow! Nice one, my friend! Your application must really be stellar for it to stand out to them and give you an early offer.

thanks a lot bro i really appreciate it
im very surprised cause i dont even do further maths, i shouldve chosen it but i realised this way too late
Reply 51
thanks a lot bro i really appreciate it
im very surprised cause i dont even do further maths, i shouldve chosen it but i realised this way too late

That's even more of an amazing achievement! Your application MUST be stellar! I read on a forum somewhere that 73% of people who got into Durham CS last year did Further Maths!
thank you bro, well done to you also
did you get contextual too?

Original post by stn1y
Original post by vnayak
That's even more of an amazing achievement! Your application MUST be stellar! I read on a forum somewhere that 73% of people who got into Durham CS last year did Further Maths!

thanks again bro i appreciate it. its gonna be very tough though im gonna need to work extremely hard. i tried compensating for this by talking about some maths related things in my personal statement
happy i got in because ive taken a scan at the modules and they seem good, not been to an open day though
still no manchester response man 😂 i think if i got the offer i would firm manchester and insure durham (since i need AAB)
did you apply to durham too?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 54
Original post by vnayak
Did they send you the notice on UCAS or was it on the Durham applicant portal??

Through UCAS track, I completely forgot about the application portal! I guess I should check that also in case there’s any extra info.
Reply 55
thanks again bro i appreciate it. its gonna be very tough though im gonna need to work extremely hard. i tried compensating for this by talking about some maths related things in my personal statement
happy i got in because ive taken a scan at the modules and they seem good, not been to an open day though
still no manchester response man 😂 i think if i got the offer i would firm manchester and insure durham (since i need AAB)
did you apply to durham too?

Really? Firm Manchester? That's interesting. Where else did you apply just for some context?
I too applied for Durham. I went to the Open Day and the new facility is astounding!
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by vnayak
Really? Firm Manchester? That's interesting. Where else did you apply just for some context?
I too applied for Durham. I went to the Open Day and the new facility is astounding!

I did Manchester Birmingham(degree apprenticeship) Durham Leeds Sheffield
I considered Warwick but changed my mind in the end
I don’t want to go to London so that’s why I didn’t choose any London unis + Southampton, Bristol etc
Then Oxford and Cambridge since I didn’t pick further there would be no point

Guessing Durham and Manchester are like 4th/5th choices for you
I should’ve gone to the open day tbf
Reply 57
I did Manchester Birmingham(degree apprenticeship) Durham Leeds Sheffield
I considered Warwick but changed my mind in the end
I don’t want to go to London so that’s why I didn’t choose any London unis + Southampton, Bristol etc
Then Oxford and Cambridge since I didn’t pick further there would be no point

Guessing Durham and Manchester are like 4th/5th choices for you
I should’ve gone to the open day tbf

I was actually considering Warwick as well but having spoken to my CS teacher, they said that they lost all of their facility because GCHQ funding fell through. Also, one of my friends went to the Open Day (he is also applying for CS) and they weren't a particular fan of the staff.
I only applied to one London university - Imperial - but I wouldn't have minded selecting more as I quite like the hustle and bustle of London and the opportunities that would arise in terms of integrating into industry and internships during the course would be immense.
You don't need Further Maths for Oxbridge. It's highly recommended but not a requirement as not all schools can offer it due to a lack of students that are willing to take it up. However, if your school offers Further Maths, they want you to take it up.
Manchester is my safety and Durham is number 3. Still waiting on Durham though so most likely a rejection but we shall see.

If I'm being honest, Open Days don't give away a lot of information. I feel as though a lot of it is put on to invite more people to their university. The best thing about these Open Days is getting a feel for the campuses and if you could see yourself studying here. However, just because you can see yourself studying there, it doesn't mean you will get in (when I say you, I don't mean you, I am just talking generally). I thought I could see myself studying at Trinity College Cambridge when I was at the Open Day but I've got absolutely no chance when you assess the competition that apply there as well. I also think Open Days are a good opportunity to look at the facility. When I say "facility", I don't mean the exterior of the building, I mean the technology itself. How good is the technology and the opportunity to learn new concepts? How good are the professors and how easy to approach are they? What are the projects like in the course we are entering at this university? What is the university reputation to people in industry and how easy is it to integrate into industry after completing a degree there (part of my logic for applying to imperial).
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by vnayak
I was actually considering Warwick as well but having spoken to my CS teacher, they said that they lost all of their facility because GCHQ funding fell through. Also, one of my friends went to the Open Day (he is also applying for CS) and they weren't a particular fan of the staff.
I only applied to one London university - Imperial - but I wouldn't have minded selecting more as I quite like the hustle and bustle of London and the opportunities that would arise in terms of integrating into industry and internships during the course would be immense.
You don't need Further Maths for Oxbridge. It's highly recommended but not a requirement as not all schools can offer it due to a lack of students that are willing to take it up. However, if your school offers Further Maths, they want you to take it up.
Manchester is my safety and Durham is number 3. Still waiting on Durham though so most likely a rejection but we shall see.

If I'm being honest, Open Days don't give away a lot of information. I feel as though a lot of it is put on to invite more people to their university. The best thing about these Open Days is getting a feel for the campuses and if you could see yourself studying here. However, just because you can see yourself studying there, it doesn't mean you will get in (when I say you, I don't mean you, I am just talking generally). I thought I could see myself studying at Trinity College Cambridge when I was at the Open Day but I've got absolutely no chance when you assess the competition that apply there as well. I also think Open Days are a good opportunity to look at the facility. When I say "facility", I don't mean the exterior of the building, I mean the technology itself. How good is the technology and the opportunity to learn new concepts? How good are the professors and how easy to approach are they? What are the projects like in the course we are entering at this university? What is the university reputation to people in industry and how easy is it to integrate into industry after completing a degree there (part of my logic for applying to imperial).

Yh that’s very true bro
The problem with London is that it’s very expensive, and it’s also quite far. Train tickets would be expensive as well. Nah bro I don’t think you’ve been rejected from Durham, pretty sure they’ve barely given out any offers so you will be good. There’s still a lot of time until unis have to give replies out. Yh tbf open days are designed to give you good impressions of the uni so I see what you mean
When’s the imperial admission test or has it already passed
Reply 59
I am currently predicted A*A*AA (Computer Science, Economics, Maths, Further Maths) and was wondering if it is worth dropping Further Maths to get my Single Maths to an A* (my teacher said this would be possible) in order to be able to apply Warwick, Bristol and maybe UCL (as these three require A* is maths).
1. Would an application of A*A*A* without further be strong enough for Warwick/KCL/Bristol (Universities that are my top choices)?
2. Would it be worth to stick with my current subjects, so would A*A*AA be stronger than A*A*A* (without further maths) for KCL and then not apply Warwick/Bristol?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending