The Student Room Group

[Official] Computer Science applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jamest0394q
Yh that’s very true bro
The problem with London is that it’s very expensive, and it’s also quite far. Train tickets would be expensive as well. Nah bro I don’t think you’ve been rejected from Durham, pretty sure they’ve barely given out any offers so you will be good. There’s still a lot of time until unis have to give replies out. Yh tbf open days are designed to give you good impressions of the uni so I see what you mean
When’s the imperial admission test or has it already passed

I've already had the admissions test on 12th October but I haven't had an invite and people are starting to receive invites to interview (if you look on the Official Imperial forum). When they say JMC, it means Joint Maths and CompSci courses. Some people have interviews in 5 days times.
Original post by vnayak
I've already had the admissions test on 12th October but I haven't had an invite and people are starting to receive invites to interview (if you look on the Official Imperial forum). When they say JMC, it means Joint Maths and CompSci courses. Some people have interviews in 5 days times.

Stay positive bro you will hear from them soon don’t worry
Original post by S*P
I am currently predicted A*A*AA (Computer Science, Economics, Maths, Further Maths) and was wondering if it is worth dropping Further Maths to get my Single Maths to an A* (my teacher said this would be possible) in order to be able to apply Warwick, Bristol and maybe UCL (as these three require A* is maths).
1. Would an application of A*A*A* without further be strong enough for Warwick/KCL/Bristol (Universities that are my top choices)?
2. Would it be worth to stick with my current subjects, so would A*A*AA be stronger than A*A*A* (without further maths) for KCL and then not apply Warwick/Bristol?

Thanks

Warwick and Bristol don’t even require further maths so you could defo drop further. 3 A* predictions will look very good
Reply 63
Most universities only look at your three best A levels anyway and if you have a strong personal statement to go with it, then you'll be fine. If you are guaranteed 3 A*s after the drop, then I would think about it. But when it comes to attaining the grades that are required for your offers, I find that if you take 4, it will be a backup in case you muck up in one of your exams.
Reply 64
Warwick and Bristol don’t even require further maths so you could defo drop further. 3 A* predictions will look very good.

Yes, I was just wondering as they say further maths is recommended, not compulsory as some schools do not offer Further Maths, and I come from a school where you can take Further Maths. So I thought it would be a differential factor.

Thanks for the reply.
Original post by vnayak
Most universities only look at your three best A levels anyway and if you have a strong personal statement to go with it, then you'll be fine. If you are guaranteed 3 A*s after the drop, then I would think about it. But when it comes to attaining the grades that are required for your offers, I find that if you take 4, it will be a backup in case you muck up in one of your exams.

yh exactly
Original post by S*P
Yes, I was just wondering as they say further maths is recommended, not compulsory as some schools do not offer Further Maths, and I come from a school where you can take Further Maths. So I thought it would be a differential factor.

Thanks for the reply.

no problem bro
Reply 67
I did Manchester Birmingham(degree apprenticeship) Durham Leeds Sheffield
I considered Warwick but changed my mind in the end
I don’t want to go to London so that’s why I didn’t choose any London unis + Southampton, Bristol etc
Then Oxford and Cambridge since I didn’t pick further there would be no point

Guessing Durham and Manchester are like 4th/5th choices for you
I should’ve gone to the open day tbf

I applied to the Birmingham degree apprenticeship, Durham and Sheffield too. I’ve gotten an offer from Sheffield but I haven’t heard anything from the degree apprenticeship and Durham, have you?
Original post by Soyfoy
I applied to the Birmingham degree apprenticeship, Durham and Sheffield too. I’ve gotten an offer from Sheffield but I haven’t heard anything from the degree apprenticeship and Durham, have you?

I got a response from Durham but I’ve not heard from the degree apprenticeship
Did you get a confirmation email I didn’t even get one
I don’t think I’m going to firm or insure it now though
Feel like going Durham or Manchester would be better
Reply 69
I got a response from Durham but I’ve not heard from the degree apprenticeship
Did you get a confirmation email I didn’t even get one
I don’t think I’m going to firm or insure it now though
Feel like going Durham or Manchester would be better

I didn't get a confirmation email either. I'm still waiting to hear from Durham, hopefully, I will get an offer soon. if I get the degree apprenticeship I'll probably firm it and insure Durham. Btw if you don't mind me asking what grades are you predicted? cuz I'm a bit nervous as I haven't gotten an offer from durham yet
Reply 70
Original post by Soyfoy
I didn't get a confirmation email either. I'm still waiting to hear from Durham, hopefully, I will get an offer soon. if I get the degree apprenticeship I'll probably firm it and insure Durham. Btw if you don't mind me asking what grades are you predicted? cuz I'm a bit nervous as I haven't gotten an offer from durham yet

Durham is notorious for taking its time with accepting applications. It's because they don't conduct formal admissions tests and they rely on personal statements for everything. I got the highest possible grades I could get with what I have elected for (A*A*A*A* with A* in EPQ) and I haven't heard from them yet so I don't think it's got anything to do with grades. It's not just me - it's everyone who applied for CS in my school and they all are predicted high grades as well. I submitted my application on 27/09 so I got in nice and early as well (because I was applying to Cambridge) but no result. I think @jamest0394q just has a really strong application and have what the admissions tutors at Durham are looking for. Also, because you don't need to apply early to go to Durham, the admissions tutors really pace themselves as to who they select for admission between the early applicant deadline and the deadline for ALL applications in January.
Original post by Soyfoy

Do you think the degree apprenticeship will be better than going to Durham? The reason why I wouldn’t firm it is because I feel like it’s better than going to Sheffield/Leeds/nottingham (as you’re getting a degree + getting paid + work experience) but a little worse than Manchester/durham/warwick and all other top unis. I don’t know if I’m right by thinking this way though.
I got predicted 3 A* but I don’t do further maths
I think my personal statement must have been very good. I spent a lot of time on it and tried doing as many extra curriculars as possible. Also don’t worry bro they send replies very late I’m pretty sure, not sure how I got a response so quick.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by vnayak
Durham is notorious for taking its time with accepting applications. It's because they don't conduct formal admissions tests and they rely on personal statements for everything. I got the highest possible grades I could get with what I have elected for (A*A*A*A* with A* in EPQ) and I haven't heard from them yet so I don't think it's got anything to do with grades. It's not just me - it's everyone who applied for CS in my school and they all are predicted high grades as well. I submitted my application on 27/09 so I got in nice and early as well (because I was applying to Cambridge) but no result. I think @jamest0394q just has a really strong application and have what the admissions tutors at Durham are looking for. Also, because you don't need to apply early to go to Durham, the admissions tutors really pace themselves as to who they select for admission between the early applicant deadline and the deadline for ALL applications in January.

One of my teachers said they wait till February/March because of people that apply to Cambridge/oxford. I think my teacher said that they know people applying there are unlikely to firm it, or something like that. Since you applied to Cambridge that could’ve happened to you, they’ve probably not even looked at your application yet so you should be good for sure. That’s why my teachers made me apply the day after the early applicant deadline, I think that’s what happened.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 73
Contextual offer maybe? Are you on a scholarship?
Do you think the degree apprenticeship will be better than going to Durham? The reason why I wouldn’t firm it is because I feel like it’s better than going to Sheffield/Leeds/nottingham (as you’re getting a degree + getting paid + work experience) but a little worse than Manchester/durham/warwick and all other top unis. I don’t know if I’m right by thinking this way though.
I think my personal statement must have been very good. I spent a lot of time on it and tried doing as many extra curriculars as possible. Also don’t worry bro they send replies very late I’m pretty sure, not sure how I got a response so quick.
Original post by vnayak
Contextual offer maybe? Are you on a scholarship?

Yh I did get a contextual offer but that’s cause of my postcode
Reply 75

I think the degree apprenticeship is better than durham because you get a lot of paid experience whilst at uni and a guaranteed job straight after, apparently, people find it hard to get a good job right after uni because most jobs want experience. Also Birmingham
is quite a good uni for compsci, it is currently in the top 10 (above Warwick) and you wouldn't have to worry about student loans, it just seems like an overall better option for me, but it is really competitive.
(edited 5 months ago)
Has anyone got an email from UCL just now about this Australian test?! Is this only shortlisted candidates?
Reply 77
Original post by pineconess
Has anyone got an email from UCL just now about this Australian test?! Is this only shortlisted candidates?

I think it's gone to everyone, I got that email too
Reply 78
Anyone got an offer from Uni of Edinburgh? I got mine's today - A*A*A*
Original post by pineconess

I did as well but think it’s for everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending