The Student Room Group

[Official] Computer Science applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

anyone heard from imperial or cambridge?
Reply 81
Original post by studentcs646
anyone heard from imperial or cambridge?

Nothing from Cambridge but I'll be surprised if I get an invite to interview because my TMUA went awfully. The papers were extremely easy but I didn't leave myself enough time to write my answers on the answer sheet and I had all 20 answers on my question paper and this is paper 1 which is always the one that carries my mark up. Paper 2 is the notorious one for me and I don't think it went that well for it to carry my mark up.

As for Imperial, I have an invite to interview and my interview is in 11 days. I got the invite about a week ago. I applied on 27/09 and sat the admissions test on 12/10.
Reply 82
Original post by ArnavJ45
Anyone got an offer from Uni of Edinburgh? I got mine's today - A*A*A*

Yes mine is ABB
Reply 83
Original post by Izzy-06
This is a thread for all Computer Science applicants in 2024.

Here are a few opening questions:

1) What A Levels are you doing (or other eligible qualifications)? Are you applying for Postgraduate or Undergraduate?
2) What universities do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE and Sixth Form?
4) Why Computer Science specifically?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit if any, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) Will you be attending any Open Days?
7) How are you feeling about starting University?
8) Other courses you're interested in?

Doing Maths, further maths and computer science, and I got an A in persian language. Predicted A*A*A (A in computer science). Applying to KCL, ICL, UCL QMUL and Cambridge. Took the tmua and Imperial online exam, and i think i did ok in both of them
Got 99999999999999 in GCSE.
I have been following the computer world for 6 years now, and have done a few projects to prepare for university.
I attended one open day at Imperial.
I'm feeling confident about uni and can't wait to start!
Reply 84
Original post by vnayak
Nothing from Cambridge but I'll be surprised if I get an invite to interview because my TMUA went awfully. The papers were extremely easy but I didn't leave myself enough time to write my answers on the answer sheet and I had all 20 answers on my question paper and this is paper 1 which is always the one that carries my mark up. Paper 2 is the notorious one for me and I don't think it went that well for it to carry my mark up.

As for Imperial, I have an invite to interview and my interview is in 11 days. I got the invite about a week ago. I applied on 27/09 and sat the admissions test on 12/10.

Just out of interest, how do you think you did on the imperial test?
Reply 85
Original post by amirtak06
Just out of interest, how do you think you did on the imperial test?

I was a bit shaky afterwards because it was tight for time but I had working out to back it up for me. The questions were easier than expected to be honest.

I also found the Cambridge TMUA to be straightforward but again, it was timing that let me down. I ran out time as I was transferring my answers across.

Realistically speaking, I don't think that my application is stellar or has anything stand-out about it so I don't think my application played too much of a role in that decision. My thinking is that I got somewhere between 70 and 100% and that put me in a good position along with my OK application.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 86
Original post by amirtak06
Doing Maths, further maths and computer science, and I got an A in persian language. Predicted A*A*A (A in computer science). Applying to KCL, ICL, UCL QMUL and Cambridge. Took the tmua and Imperial online exam, and i think i did ok in both of them
Got 99999999999999 in GCSE.
I have been following the computer world for 6 years now, and have done a few projects to prepare for university.
I attended one open day at Imperial.
I'm feeling confident about uni and can't wait to start!

How on earth did you have the time for 15 GCSEs???
Reply 87
Any international students here ?
Reply 88
Original post by ArnavJ45
Anyone got an offer from Uni of Edinburgh? I got mine's today - A*A*A*

Same here....I got mine two months ago (a couple of weeks after sending my application off).
Reply 89
Maths, computer science, physics
GCSEs: 999888877 predicted: A*(maths), A*(cs), A (physics)
I applied to UCL, KCL, Birmingham, Bristol and Cardiff
my personal statement is somewhat decent as well and I moved here about 3 years ago having been taught in Farsi before moving so the education system was quite new to me so hopefully unis take that into consideration.
what do you think my chances are? Do you think I have a chance at getting into any of the London ones? because I really want to go to a London uni
Original post by Izzy-06

1) What A Levels are you doing (or other eligible qualifications)? Are you applying for Postgraduate or Undergraduate?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit if any, and when will you start preparing for them?

I'm currently planning to apply to Scottish universities and plan to join directly into Year 2. If I do not meet the criteria for Year 2, will I then be automatically considered for Year 1?
Reply 91
I got my offer at Imperial! Standard offer. A*AAA with Grade 2 in STEP II.
Original post by vnayak
I got my offer at Imperial! Standard offer. A*AAA with Grade 2 in STEP II.

well done bro
When you taking the STEP?
Also what grades do you need without STEP or do you have to do STEP
Reply 93
Original post by jamest0394q
well done bro
When you taking the STEP?
Also what grades do you need without STEP or do you have to do STEP

No date given yet for the STEP but I'm assuming ~June. I have to do the STEP. I got standard offer (the lowest possible requirements I can get given that I am not eligible for contextual offers but I suppose that I could have gotten a lower STEP requirement i.e. a grade 3 in STEP II).

The A levels I have to get are:
A* in Maths
AAA in Further Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science.

The A level grades shouldn't be too challenging but it's the STEP I am worried about so if anyone has any tips, it would be much appreciated.

I have to get grade 2 in STEP II. Currently, without any work, I am able to do one or two questions completely correctly from STEP II so I just gotta put in that bit more work so that I smash it, I guess.

Wish me luck!
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 94
Can someone help me? How would you go about preparing for the STEP??
Original post by vnayak
No date given yet for the STEP but I'm assuming ~June. I have to do the STEP. I got standard offer (the lowest possible requirements I can get given that I am not eligible for contextual offers but I suppose that I could have gotten a lower STEP requirement i.e. a grade 3 in STEP II).

The A levels I have to get are:
A* in Maths
AAA in Further Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science.

The A level grades shouldn't be too challenging but it's the STEP I am worried about so if anyone has any tips, it would be much appreciated.

I have to get grade 2 in STEP II. Currently, without any work, I am able to do one or two questions completely correctly from STEP II so I just gotta put in that bit more work so that I smash it, I guess.

Wish me luck!

you will be fine bro, its just lots of practice
hows your NEA going?
trying to get A* in mine ive just been writing a lot (mine is a route finder using dijkstra)
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 96
Original post by jamest0394q
you will be fine bro, its just lots of practice
hows your NEA going?
trying to get A* in mine ive just been writing a lot (mine is a route finder using dijkstra)

Ahh that is so cool! My NEA is going OK. I have finished my testing phase and I just need a massive write-up because essentially I have neglected my documentation altogether except for my analysis, which needs tweaking ever so slightly as I found a better way to do it. I am making essentially my own chess platform, except there is no rating system nor player vs player system.

I would tell you much more the exam board prevents us from saying any more about it.

One of my friends is doing a similar thing to you but he's also got a hardware element to it. Good luck for the A*!

I too want the A* but it's not a requirement for me.

I just want to get through school with awesome grades! 9999999988 at GCSE and hopefully 5 A*s, if not close to it, in my A levels.
Reply 97
Original post by Izzy-06

Anyone had an offer from Warwick for Computer Science?
Reply 98
Original post by Tezller
Anyone had an offer from Warwick for Computer Science?

My daughter received an offer from Warwick on the 11th.
Reply 99
Original post by Boosan
My daughter received an offer from Warwick on the 11th.

That’s the first offer I’ve heard so far on here. Was it their standard offer A” A* A?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending