The Student Room Group

Lectures

If you can't make a lecture because of commuting would be too late/dangerous, or for mental health/ illness what do you do? Do you get in trouble? Do you fail your degree
Original post by Anonymous
If you can't make a lecture because of commuting would be too late/dangerous, or for mental health/ illness what do you do? Do you get in trouble? Do you fail your degree

Hi there,

This might be different for other Universities or other courses but if you are too unwell to attend a lecture or are unable to attend for other reasons then you will unlikely get in trouble. There are many reasons why someone would miss a lecture - I've missed some for being ill. To avoid absence impacting your studies, it's important to catch up on what you've missed. At my University, most lectures are recorded and uploaded online so I could catch up in my free time, but if yours are not you could email the lecturer to apologise for your absence and ask for any lecture material covered.

If you go to all your lectures that you can, and catch up on lectures you've missed due to illness or other circumstances, you shouldn't get in trouble.

Try not to worry!

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi there,

This might be different for other Universities or other courses but if you are too unwell to attend a lecture or are unable to attend for other reasons then you will unlikely get in trouble. There are many reasons why someone would miss a lecture - I've missed some for being ill. To avoid absence impacting your studies, it's important to catch up on what you've missed. At my University, most lectures are recorded and uploaded online so I could catch up in my free time, but if yours are not you could email the lecturer to apologise for your absence and ask for any lecture material covered.

If you go to all your lectures that you can, and catch up on lectures you've missed due to illness or other circumstances, you shouldn't get in trouble.

Try not to worry!

Bethan

Hello Bethan,

Thank you so much for your kind response. If i should miss any I will make sure to drop an email. Sorry another question. I commute to University, what do I do if I can't attend a late night one or evening one due to traveling? Can they record it or move it to earlier in the day?
Hello Bethan,

Thank you so much for your kind response. If i should miss any I will make sure to drop an email. Sorry another question. I commute to University, what do I do if I can't attend a late night one or evening one due to traveling? Can they record it or move it to earlier in the day?

Hi,

No problem at all!:smile: I don't think they can move any lectures because of complicated timetabling. I'm not sure if your university specifically will record - once you start you should find that out. I don't know how common it is for lectures to be recorded either so hopefully other reps can give some insight too.

In my experience I haven't had any lectures later than 6pm, so I've never had a late night or evening lecture. I think I've had lectures finish at 6pm but never start. Again this could be different at other universities.

If you're worried about missing lectures due to commuting, you could speak to your personal tutor or advice department to see what they advise.

Sorry I don't have any definitive answers for you but I hope this was somewhat helpful:smile:

Bethan
Reply 4
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi,

No problem at all!:smile: I don't think they can move any lectures because of complicated timetabling. I'm not sure if your university specifically will record - once you start you should find that out. I don't know how common it is for lectures to be recorded either so hopefully other reps can give some insight too.

In my experience I haven't had any lectures later than 6pm, so I've never had a late night or evening lecture. I think I've had lectures finish at 6pm but never start. Again this could be different at other universities.

If you're worried about missing lectures due to commuting, you could speak to your personal tutor or advice department to see what they advise.

Sorry I don't have any definitive answers for you but I hope this was somewhat helpful:smile:

Bethan

Thanks Bethan. I will ask my university. Thank you so much for helping me. You've been amazing!
Reply 5

Missing the occasional lecture is unlikely to cause problems -- but make sure you catch up on the missed content. Some universities do lecture recordings, though those are not normally provided as an alternative to attendance. Your university might do lecture attendance recording, either consistently or on an ad-hoc basis.

For things like seminars and workshops failure to attend is likely to be much more obvious, and catching up might be more difficult.

You really don't want to get into a pattern of missing academic commitments. It's something that's very easy to do, and can be difficult to recover from the consequences.

I have to ask -- on what basis might commuting be "too late" or "dangerous"? What are your particular concerns on this?

You should certainly expect the university's working day to run to at least 5:00pm. (When I was a student it was possible -- but unusual -- for lectures to run up to 6pm. I have no idea what is common these days.) Bear in mind that once the clocks change at the end of October, sunset could be around 4pm in the south of England and as early as 3:30pm in somewhere like Aberdeen.

For illness your university is likely to have a procedure you should follow; check your course handbook.

Regarding mental health issues -- make sure you are getting support for these, and check to see what support your university can provide. Have you discussed any mental health problems you are having with your GP or other appropriate health professional?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending