The Student Room Group

How to handle rude peers in lecture halls?

I have been finding it really difficult to focus and understand my lectures since starting university. There are always people talking and laughing in various spots around the lecture hall, people moving around and arriving/leaving at the wrong time, and people leaning back onto my table and pushing in the line at the end to ask questions which leads to me running late. I have ADHD and ASD so I find it intimidating and difficult to speak to strangers, but it's becoming more and more overwhelming as an environment. Does anybody have any advice? Will things settle down throughout the first year?
Original post by oceann_psych
I have been finding it really difficult to focus and understand my lectures since starting university. There are always people talking and laughing in various spots around the lecture hall, people moving around and arriving/leaving at the wrong time, and people leaning back onto my table and pushing in the line at the end to ask questions which leads to me running late. I have ADHD and ASD so I find it intimidating and difficult to speak to strangers, but it's becoming more and more overwhelming as an environment. Does anybody have any advice? Will things settle down throughout the first year?

Hi @oceann_psych

Sorry to hear you've been having some trouble with your lectures.

Can you access the presentations for your lectures ahead or time or after the sessions? If you can, it might be good to have a read of them before and/or after the lecture in your own quieter space to make sure you're confident on the content discussed. Maybe you could contact your lecturers about something like this?

It can be difficult to concentrate when others are being distracting. Does sitting closer to the front help?

With your questions that you would like to ask, is there any way you could type them up throughout the lecture and send them on to your lecturers for them to answer later on?
I understand about being uncomfortable in an overwhelming environment - especially as these are things that are out of your control. If you try to control the things you can yourself, like where you sit, asking for help before or after the lectures, or re-reading the presentations, this may help with your focus and with the distractions.

It's also still quite early into the year, so people may still be getting used to lectures so things may settle down too as time goes on.

I hope this helps!
Emily :smile:

Hi!

The @BCU Student Rep makes some great points about typing up your questions throughout the lecture. I'm sure if you explained this to your lecturer they'd be happy to help (or if you don't want to message them directly you could always ask your personal tutor to do so).

I think talking to your personal tutor in general will be helpful, every university is different so they might know of some specific things the university has in place that might help.

But even if there's nothing that can be done right now (eventhough thats extremely unlikely) , it will settle down. Getting a bit further into the year people will be talking less because they'll start worrying about exams, the people who don't care too much will stop coming to lectures and overall the environment will be more focused. However I'd recommend still getting a system in place so you can feel more in control of your learning :smile:

I hope this helps!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Hi there, I am sorry to hear about this. I understand it can be frustrating not being able to focus on the lecturer and that it can cause concern.

I would recommend arriving at the lecture hall early, so you are able to pick a seat close to the lecturer. This should allow you to hear the lecturer clearly.

There are many reasons that people move around the lecture hall. If it has affected your focus, and you have missed out on certain areas of the lectures, I recommend searching for any recordings afterwards, or going through any PowerPoint slides available.

It is good that you are asking questions to lecturers, keep it up! :smile: However, if you are starting to run late for your next lesson, I would recommend noting down the question first. Afterwards, you could always email the lecturer, or discuss it during or after your seminar with your seminar leader. It is often possible to contact your seminar leader for an appointment, where you can go over all the information you are unclear on.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Does anybody have any advice? Will things settle down throughout the first year?

Sit on the front row. Your lecturers will be grateful to have someone paying attention front and centre and you will be better placed to ignore distractions and noise behind you. You’ll also be right at the front when it comes to asking questions at the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending