The Student Room Group

Student/lecturer relationships, how to improve?

I'm curious about perspectives/suggestions from both sides.

I'm currently in my first year of university, I'm really enjoying it and I do feel I have an okay relationship with my lecturers. Every time I see my lecturers we always remain professional, we're polite to each other, I don't have problems with my lecturers but if I do feel I have a problem with them, I will email them and ask for a tutorial with them and explain what my problem is with them, during the tutorial I'll do my best to try and get this resolved.

Although I have an okay relationship with my lecturers I feel like our professional relationships could improve a lot more on their side and my side. I know lecturers are busy but, I always feel they're hard to reach. I have to wait ages for a reply and whenever I talk to them in class or ask them a question regarding a topic I don't understand there seems to be a reluctance on their end to answer the question. I have to ask about three times before I get an answer.

I feel there's more issues but I can't think/list them of the top of my head at the moment. What I do know is I feel our professional relationship needs improvement. I feel that we're not working with each other, just against them. I'm curious, students/lecturers what's your advice on how our relationship could improve?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm currently in my first year of university, I'm really enjoying it and I do feel I have an okay relationship with my lecturers. Every time I see my lecturers we always remain professional, we're polite to each other, I don't have problems with my lecturers but if I do feel I have a problem with them, I will email them and ask for a tutorial with them and explain what my problem is with them, during the tutorial I'll do my best to try and get this resolved.
Although I have an okay relationship with my lecturers I feel like our professional relationships could improve a lot more on their side and my side. I know lecturers are busy but, I always feel they're hard to reach. I have to wait ages for a reply and whenever I talk to them in class or ask them a question regarding a topic I don't understand there seems to be a reluctance on their end to answer the question. I have to ask about three times before I get an answer.
I feel there's more issues but I can't think/list them of the top of my head at the moment. What I do know is I feel our professional relationship needs improvement. I feel that we're not working with each other, just against them. I'm curious, students/lecturers what's your advice on how our relationship could improve?
Hi there,

It sounds like you're doing all the right things by asking questions and emailing your lecturers for help if you need it.

Sometimes lecturers can be hard to read as they teach so many students and it may take them a while to get to know everyone. I understand that you want to have a good and professional relationship with them, and I think you've made a great effort so far. This might just be something that develops over time, but if you keep reaching out for help when you need it, are putting in the effort into your assignments and are engaging with your lecturers, I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Emily
Student Rep at BCU
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey,

It's a really good sign that you're so invested your professional relationships with your lecturers - but as Emily said above, I think it's important to remember that you're still in your first year, and building those relationships will likely take time more than anything. As long as you keep putting a continual effort into your assignments and express interest in any additional course-related opportunities they offer, those relationships will develop and you'll be able to rely on your lecturers a bit more.

Do your lecturers have office hours available? If so, that's a good opportunity to ask any questions/see if they can recommend any additional reading that might help improve your understanding of topics.

Eve (Kingston Rep).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending