The Student Room Group

Help choosing unis

I need advice on universities how do you know where to apply?
Reply 1
Original post by Halle c.

Which course do you want to apply for?

Hi @Halle c.

Choosing a uni can be a really difficult decision so I thought I'd let you know what helped me to choose!

First of all it's really important to choose a course that you're interested in and want to study. Think about what parts of your A-levels you enjoy and what you don't and then start having a look at courses that may be of interest to you. It may also be worth thinking further ahead as to what you would want to do for a job. I did some work experience in marketing in y10 and this led me to want to study marketing at uni.

I then found looking at league tables quite useful to see what unis were the best for the course I wanted to do and began to look at the course pages for each uni. Taking a look at the modules and what I would actually be studying helped me to narrow down the unis I wanted to apply to as I preferred some courses to others. Looking at the uni as a whole and what extracurricular activities were offer was helpful to me - there might be a particular society or sports club you wanted to join or something new you wanted to take up so it's worth checking those out. I'd also recommend taking a look at the accommodation and location of the uni and have a think about what you want and how far or close to home you want to be and what you want your accommodation to be like.

I think the most important thing for me when choosing which uni to go to was to go and visit. Going to an open day is a great way to meet students and to see some of the facilities you would be using. It's also really helpful to visit more than one uni if you can as it helps you to compare as I had no idea what a uni was like until I visited my first one! It's really important to choose somewhere that not only has a great course but also where you can see yourself fitting in and being happy as you will be living there for the next 3+ years.

I hope this was helpful :smile:

Jess

Hiya @Halle c.,

I'm a third year now at Lancaster Uni but I also struggled to choose unis to apply to. Here are a few things that I did or thought about that helped me make the decision.

- Defined my priorities. I knew I wanted a campus uni with good academic rankings so had a look at the university league tables and found which ones fit those criteria. Other things you might want to consider include location, size, culture, and societies.
- Academic goals. I looked for universities which were ranked highly in my subject specifically
- Application requirements. I chose 5 unis from a range of entry requirements. Some were slightly higher than my predicted and some were lower so I had insurance choices.
- Open days. I visited as many open days as I could to get a feel of different universities. If that's not an option for you, there are lots of online resources for each uni and you can try and get in contact with current students through the uni websites or on websites like the student room.
- Talked to advisors and other adults. I talked to careers advisors, teachers, my parents and older people at uni to get different advice and guidance.

There ultimately are so many things to consider so remember that the right university for you will most probably not be the same as it is for your friends. Taking time to research and make an informed decision will definitely help.
Good luck with your applications
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Hi there @Halle c., :smile:

Great to hear that you are looking to apply to University. Choosing the right University for you is important so here are some tips to help.

Firstly it's important to think about what course you are interested in, make a note of what subjects you currently enjoy and have a look online to find courses that interest you. Think about whether you want to go to a city University and if you would like to live in student accomodation or commute. Have a look for Universities that offer the course you are interested in or a similar course and do some research on the Universities website to get a feel of what they have to offer.

After doing some research narrow down your top choices, once you've done this have a think about attending some Open Days. Attending Open Days is a great opportunity for you to tour campus, meet with course tutors and view accomodation options. Visiting campus and speaking to current students is the best way to get a feel for what life is like at the University.

I hope this helps and all the best with making your decision. :smile:
Sarah

Choosing the right universities to apply to can be a daunting task, but with careful consideration, you can find the best fit for your goals and preferences. Here’s a step-by-step guide:

Determine Your Preferences:

Location: Consider if you prefer studying locally or internationally.
Course: Identify the specific course or field of study you're interested in.
Budget: Evaluate your budget for tuition fees and living expenses.
University Rankings: While not the only factor, rankings can give you an idea of a university's reputation.
Campus Life: Think about the kind of campus environment you want, whether urban or rural, large or small.
Career Opportunities: Research which universities have strong connections with industries or offer good internship opportunities.
Research Universities:

University Websites: Visit the official websites of universities you’re interested in. Look for information about courses, entry requirements, and campus facilities.
Rankings and Reviews: Use university ranking websites and student forums to read reviews and get a sense of the university's reputation.
Talk to Current Students: If possible, reach out to current students or alumni through social media to get first-hand experiences.
Attend University Fairs and Open Days:

University fairs and open days provide a great opportunity to meet representatives, ask questions, and get a feel for the campus environment.
Consider Admission Requirements:

Ensure you meet the entry requirements, including academic qualifications and language proficiency (such as IELTS or TOEFL for English-speaking countries).
Think About Long-Term Goals:

Consider the opportunities for postgraduate studies, research, and career prospects after graduation.
Application Process:

Understand the application process for each university, including deadlines and required documents.

Seek Guidance:
Talk to your teachers, school counselors, or educational consultants. They can provide valuable insights and advice based on your academic profile and aspirations.
Visit if Possible:

If feasible, visit the campuses of the shortlisted universities. This first-hand experience can help you make a more informed decision.
Trust Your Instincts:

Consider your gut feeling. If a university feels right and aligns with your goals, it might be the right choice for you.
Remember, choosing a university is a personal decision. Take your time, gather information, and choose a place where you can thrive academically and personally.

Fatima
LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending