The Student Room Group

Picking a university

Why is it so hard to pick a university🫣. So far I have only been to one open day at the university of east London and I really liked it. I want to study BA commercial photography/ BA photography and they look like they want to push their student to be the best versions of themselves. I have a few more open days booked but I’m scared I might pick the wrong uni. What are the best ranked universities for photography?
I think the most important thing is that you feel you could thrive on the course. And if you like the vibe of the town/city it is based in

This is a good website for putting in details of a university and course, to see what student feedback is like: https://discoveruni.gov.uk/
My eldest was worried about picking a Uni / Course - we went to lots of Open Days. We spoke to lots of staff and students. It really helped

The Uni will almost choose itself, there will be 1 or 2 that you really feel at home in - if you are happy there you will thrive there, so its hard to get that bit "wrong" (IMO)

When I was helping my daughter make choices I focussed on connections the Uni had, what placements? What did they do to help with employability? Teaching quality matters but you are using this as a gateway to your preferred career so make sure the Uni can do that

My guess is that your chosen career will be quite competitive, so maybe use your Open Days to get the Uni to convince you they will help you break in to the career of your choice?

Quick Reply

Latest