The Student Room Group

Foster care leaver

I’ve heard there’s financial support for care leavers at university, could anyone tell me more about this please?
Original post by toffee5
I’ve heard there’s financial support for care leavers at university, could anyone tell me more about this please?

Hello, I am care experienced and have been through university 3 times so I may be able to help.

As a care leaver, you are entitled to financial support from the LA. Do you know who will be your personal advisor (a social worker) when you become a care leaver? They should be able to take you through exactly what you'll be entitled to from them. When I was at uni, I took out the usual student loans and then I would get an allowance from the uni which I would use for books, travel etc

What unis are you thinking of applying to? If you let me know I can find out who you could speak to at the uni to find out what support they offer. Every uni is a bit different in terms of what support is on offer, but many are very good. I received a £1000 grant every year for my undergrad degree due to being a care leaver.

I will add that I only got the financial support from the LA for my first degree because I was of care leaver age (ie up until the age of 25 now). I did my other degrees after that age and funded them myself.

I hope that helps and wishing you all the best with uni!
Original post by toffee5

Also, I will just add that when I applied for uni, on the forms you fill in to tell them about yourself, there was a box you could complete to tell them you are care experienced. You don't have to tick that box if you don't feel comfortable doing it, but I ticked them and it helps the uni to be made aware of your lived experience and then they should make contact with you when you go to the uni and go from there. I remember I was supported by the student advice team on how to access grant funding etc.

I would also recommend thinking about whether you could manage to put some money from the grants away into a saving account. If you find an account with a good interest rate (look for one with a higher interest number), then you could keep savings away for when you graduate. Then you will have a little pot of money for yourself to get you set up after uni for whatever you like. I never did that, but wish I had been advised to do that.

Finally, the funding for university comes through student finance england. Your personal advisor should take you through all of that. You are also entitled to a setting up home allowance - ie, to be used for buying yourself pots and pans, bedding, a laptop etc if you plan to live in dorms. Many unis also cater for care experienced people to be able to live in their dorms year round (no issues with the holidays) and you may be able to request an ensuite.

I hope that helps. There is a lot of information there, but feel free to ask me any questions!
Reply 3
Original post by Thatsthebarforme
Also, I will just add that when I applied for uni, on the forms you fill in to tell them about yourself, there was a box you could complete to tell them you are care experienced. You don't have to tick that box if you don't feel comfortable doing it, but I ticked them and it helps the uni to be made aware of your lived experience and then they should make contact with you when you go to the uni and go from there. I remember I was supported by the student advice team on how to access grant funding etc.

I would also recommend thinking about whether you could manage to put some money from the grants away into a saving account. If you find an account with a good interest rate (look for one with a higher interest number), then you could keep savings away for when you graduate. Then you will have a little pot of money for yourself to get you set up after uni for whatever you like. I never did that, but wish I had been advised to do that.

Finally, the funding for university comes through student finance england. Your personal advisor should take you through all of that. You are also entitled to a setting up home allowance - ie, to be used for buying yourself pots and pans, bedding, a laptop etc if you plan to live in dorms. Many unis also cater for care experienced people to be able to live in their dorms year round (no issues with the holidays) and you may be able to request an ensuite.

I hope that helps. There is a lot of information there, but feel free to ask me any questions!

Thank you this is so helpful ! I’ll keep all of this in mind. It’s good to know there’s support.
Original post by toffee5
Thank you this is so helpful ! I’ll keep all of this in mind. It’s good to know there’s support.

There is plenty of support. If you do hit a difficult time at university for whatever reason, do reach out to the student advice team at the university you decide to attend. I had to do this when I had issues with student finance england and the student advice team were amazing. Good luck and wishing you all the best for the future!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending