The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Question regarding Standards:

Hello!

Long story short - I am considering applying to St Andrews to study Medieval History.

Which have entry requirements at AAAAB SQA Highers.

Last year I achieved the AAAAB and my N5s were AAAAAAB, do you think even though I obviously meet the requirements, I stand a good chance?Any suggestions, ideas, or thoughts are welcome!
Reply 1
Would love opinions from current St Andrews students!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by MaxiGunn
Hello!

Long story short - I am considering applying to St Andrews to study Medieval History.

Last year I achieved the AAAAB and my N5s were AAAAAAB, do you think even though I obviously meet the requirements, I stand a good chance?Any suggestions, ideas, or thoughts are welcome!

How would we know anything beyond that?
Reply 3
In other words, do you perceive my chances as equal to others?

(I reckon this probably constitutes the average high school pupil's nervous question selection - but I am sure you can sympathise with the "nervous" environment university entry creates)

Original post by Quady
How would we know anything beyond that?
I mean, plenty of people have the grades. How are your personal statement, your references, etc. as those are what will distinguish you from other applicants who meet the grade minimums. All we can say with a list of grades is whether you meet the minimum standards or not.
Hello!

Make your personal statement stand out
Reply 6
Cool!

Thanks Guys!

Any got any top tips regarding specific things a passing personal statement as always has?
Cool!

Thanks Guys!

Any got any top tips regarding specific things a passing personal statement as always has?

There's no specific things a personal statement always has because one uni may reject you while another same tier uni may accept you for the same personal statement (speaking from my personal experience). It varies from courses, and competition too. E.g. if you apply to low ranked uni in a course that's not competive with good grades and references, you're more likely to be accepted than in a high ranked high competition uni and course for the same personal statement.

But here are some general things you can include:

why your course?
why you are interested in it?
what have you done to show your interest in your course?
extra curricular activities and achievements- what did you develop?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
There's no specific things a personal statement always has because one uni may reject you while another same tier uni may accept you for the same personal statement (speaking from my personal experience). It varies from courses, and competition too. E.g. if you apply to low ranked uni in a course that's not competive with good grades and references, you're more likely to be accepted than in a high ranked high competition uni and course for the same personal statement.

But here are some general things you can include:

why your course?
why you are interested in it?
what have you done to show your interest in your course?
extra curricular activities and achievements- what did you develop?

thank you

i will look at this page i am sure when writing the application

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending