Manchester

Official University of Manchester Applicant Thread for 2024

Scroll to see replies

Congrats man!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by longdayfr
Omg well done !!! is that your top choice ?

thank you very much bro i appreciate it
yhh it is my top choice but the offer is gonna be hard to meet🤣
whats your first choice
Original post by Anonymous
You got Manchester as well as Durham yesterday !?

thank you bro 🙏
i got rejected from their law course "Your qualifications/predicted grades do not meet our academic requirements"

Oh dear sorry .. did your predicted grades meet the minimum entry requirements? What course did you apply for as quite a few ended up in clearing last year - albeit Manchester stated they do not downgrade requirements for clearing
i got rejected from their law course "Your qualifications/predicted grades do not meet our academic requirements"

That's really unfortunate! Did you meet their minimum entry requirements with your predicted/achieved grades? If you don't, there are obligated to reject you as there are lots of other candidates who meet their requirements.
Reply 45
Any postgraduate applicants here?
heyy, is Manchester doing interviews for engineering ?

Manchester does interviews for non medicine, veterinary and dentistry courses ?! It says on the UCAS form that Manchester may require you to show them your portfolio and you may have to appear for an interview for CS. But there is no portfolio, no interview (at least I didn't have either of them. Some other people who got offers may be able to shed some light on this).
The only universities that I know of that do interviews for Engineering is Imperial college, Oxford and Cambridge.
Thanks, I'll look into it. Anyway, congrats on ur offer !!
Manchester does interviews for non medicine, veterinary and dentistry courses ?! It says on the UCAS form that Manchester may require you to show them your portfolio and you may have to appear for an interview for CS. But there is no portfolio, no interview (at least I didn't have either of them. Some other people who got offers may be able to shed some light on this).
The only universities that I know of that do interviews for Engineering is Imperial college, Oxford and Cambridge.
Thanks, I'll look into it. Anyway, congrats on ur offer !!

Thanks. 🙏
Thanks. 🙏

well done
how confident are you of getting the 3 A* to meet the offer?
Original post by jamest0394q
well done
how confident are you of getting the 3 A* to meet the offer?

A* in Maths is light work. If my CS NEA goes well, I'd say I'm in with a reasonable shot at that. My Further Maths teacher said to my parents on parents evening (and please note he said this to everyone's parents in my set as well): "If I have to decide whether {insert name} is going to get an A or an A* right at this instant, it would be a coin toss."
No one at my school has ever got below an A in Further Maths so I hope to keep that going (and also get an A*!).
If I put the work in for Chemistry, I don't see why I can't get an A* in the real thing.
In my mocks, I got A*s in Maths and Chemistry and was 2 off getting an A* in both further Maths (where I unfortunately ran out of time) and Computing (because of stringent mark schemes and my answers being a bit vague).
What about you??

Engineering doesn't do interviews afaik. Even if you do have to do one it'll be a pretty informal chat during your applicant day- think I spent most of mine just talking about interests from my personal statement lol.
A* in Maths is light work. If my CS NEA goes well, I'd say I'm in with a reasonable shot at that. My Further Maths teacher said to my parents on parents evening (and please note he said this to everyone's parents in my set as well): "If I have to decide whether {insert name} is going to get an A or an A* right at this instant, it would be a coin toss."
No one at my school has ever got below an A in Further Maths so I hope to keep that going (and also get an A*!).
If I put the work in for Chemistry, I don't see why I can't get an A* in the real thing.
In my mocks, I got A*s in Maths and Chemistry and was 2 off getting an A* in both further Maths (where I unfortunately ran out of time) and Computing (because of stringent mark schemes and my answers being a bit vague).

Fair enough so you’re on the right track
For coursework are you just trying to write as much as possible?
A level computer science is a weird one, an A* could easily turn into a B if that makes sense
Because of how specific the mark scheme is it’s difficult to do well
It’s annoying as well cause apparently it’s not even a representative of uni computer science
(edited 5 months ago)
A
Fair enough so you’re on the right track
For coursework are you just trying to write as much as possible?
A level computer science is a weird one, an A* could easily turn into a B if that makes sense
Because of how specific the mark scheme is it’s difficult to do well
It’s annoying as well cause apparently it’s not even a representative of uni computer science

I have finished my NEA implementation just now so if I finish my documentation of it, I am more or less free to do whatever. With my documentation, I don't aim to write as much as I can. I write what is necessary and then go into greater depths about it. Just my analysis section of my NEA was 30 pages long with loads of diagrams and things. There are still 4 more phases left so it will be interesting to see how much further we go in terms of word count.

Plus we only have two more weeks of CS lessons to finish the entire course so we just revise from then on and do skeleton code challenges.

What exam board are you?

I'll tell you what doesn't help with CS: Having only a few papers to go through and limited resources to learn content.

How are you managing your 3 A* offer? On track with things? Any aspects your struggling with?
A

I have finished my NEA implementation just now so if I finish my documentation of it, I am more or less free to do whatever. With my documentation, I don't aim to write as much as I can. I write what is necessary and then go into greater depths about it. Just my analysis section of my NEA was 30 pages long with loads of diagrams and things. There are still 4 more phases left so it will be interesting to see how much further we go in terms of word count.

Plus we only have two more weeks of CS lessons to finish the entire course so we just revise from then on and do skeleton code challenges.

What exam board are you?

I'll tell you what doesn't help with CS: Having only a few papers to go through and limited resources to learn content.

How are you managing your 3 A* offer? On track with things? Any aspects your struggling with?

We do OCR. Yh I try write what is necessary but I go into detail, so I've been following the mark scheme and using examplars etc. Im just gonna give it a go because anything can happen in the exam, im a hard worker so once ive caught up with work ill probably do light revision then increase intensity later in the year
wouldnt say im struggling with anything so far but theres work to do
Original post by user93_
Applied for BA economics and just got an offer! yes I went to an open day and really liked it, will probs be my 1st or 2nd choice
nervous tbh but excited fs

Well done! What were your predicted grades?
We do OCR. Yh I try write what is necessary but I go into detail, so I've been following the mark scheme and using examplars etc. Im just gonna give it a go because anything can happen in the exam, im a hard worker so once ive caught up with work ill probably do light revision then increase intensity later in the year
wouldnt say im struggling with anything so far but theres work to do

I know that you mentioned that you are working hard on your coursework. When you say coursework, is this the work that is set in your lessons? Or is it a different component altogether (i.e. a project that uses A level content to solve a problem for an end-client)? I'm just curious as to how CS is in other exam boards.
I know that you mentioned that you are working hard on your coursework. When you say coursework, is this the work that is set in your lessons? Or is it a different component altogether (i.e. a project that uses A level content to solve a problem for an end-client)? I'm just curious as to how CS is in other exam boards.

Do you do AQA? Because I’m pretty sure it’s the same, it’s the NEA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending