The Student Room Group

UCAS Reference: How many subject teachers to contact/contribute?

I'm a US student who's talking with the school counselor about the UCAS recommendation letter. The general idea is to have the counselor as the referee and combine paragraphs from different subject teachers.

But how many subject teachers should I ask to contribute a paragraph? I'm applying for a science-related course. If I just contact my math teacher, would that be enough?

Obviously, this is a US school, so there's no Head Teacher or set procedures for writing this.

Also, I've heard in general that interviews and grades are much more important. Is that true?
Original post by yd1201
I'm a US student who's talking with the school counselor about the UCAS recommendation letter. The general idea is to have the counselor as the referee and combine paragraphs from different subject teachers.

But how many subject teachers should I ask to contribute a paragraph? I'm applying for a science-related course. If I just contact my math teacher, would that be enough?

Obviously, this is a US school, so there's no Head Teacher or set procedures for writing this.

Also, I've heard in general that interviews and grades are much more important. Is that true?

In general, when compared to the admissions system in the USA the UK takes a less holistic approach. Their main concerns are your grades and then potentially supercurriculars and they aren't as interested in extracurriculars as they are in America. Additionally, most courses and unis (outside Oxbridge) don't generally hold interviews.

Many people's UCAS references were written by only one person.
Reply 2
At my school the personal tutor writes the reference having collected summaries ( these summaries are rather longer than a paragraph) from the all the subject teachers. The personal tutor then picks out relevant sentences form each subject teacher and builds it into reference with an opening and conclusion. This is then signed off by the headteacher. Before all this the subject teachers ask you write down some something about the subject, what you found interesting, something you have achieved, what extra reading or research you have done etc, to help the, build their report which they submit to the personal tutor.
Reply 3
UCAS guidance here for whoever is writing your reference - make sure they actually read it as the format has changed for 2024 entry - https://www.ucas.com/advisers/writing-references/changes-undergraduate-references-2024-entry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending