The Student Room Group

Uni Course Application Help!!

Hi all!

I'm applying for university very soon (doing independently) but need some help first.

First of all, My old school completely messed up my application which meant I had to go on a gap year. This means I no longer have references from my teachers and as it was a very big college I doubt they would remember me - does it matter that I don't have references? Should I try contact them and ask for some?

Secondly, in my application, realistically there is only one of the universities I want to go to, but I'm applying to backups just in case. If I got rejected, I have another backup uni I wouldn't mind attending, but the thing is the other two universities I'm applying to require portfolios after they accept your application. If I don't want to accept/won't accept their offer do I still have to give them a portfolio? I feel pretty confident I'll get accepted to either my first or second choice, but if I don't I don't think I would accept to go to the other two places I am applying to.

Any help is greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by noodlestopshop_
Hi all!

I'm applying for university very soon (doing independently) but need some help first.

First of all, My old school completely messed up my application which meant I had to go on a gap year. This means I no longer have references from my teachers and as it was a very big college I doubt they would remember me - does it matter that I don't have references? Should I try contact them and ask for some?

Secondly, in my application, realistically there is only one of the universities I want to go to, but I'm applying to backups just in case. If I got rejected, I have another backup uni I wouldn't mind attending, but the thing is the other two universities I'm applying to require portfolios after they accept your application. If I don't want to accept/won't accept their offer do I still have to give them a portfolio? I feel pretty confident I'll get accepted to either my first or second choice, but if I don't I don't think I would accept to go to the other two places I am applying to.

Hi @noodlestopshop_

I applied independently, too. You will need a reference from someone who knows you academically. It is definitely worth emailing your college and asking for one. They should be well equipped to provide support as this situation often happens.

As for your second question, I would say it is always best to keep your options open, so if that means sending a portfolio, then I would. But I guess it all depends on which university is faster when it comes to offering you a position or not. However, I wouldn't waste my time sending them a portfolio if you don’t think you would accept an offer from those two universities. You could even consider applying to your top choice and backup rather than applying to 4 different universities. I believe there might even be a slight charge for applying for more than 3 universities.

Good luck with your application!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Original post by BCU Student Rep
I believe there might even be a slight charge for applying for more than 3 universities.

The UCAS fee for 2024 entry is £27.50 for up to 5 choices.
@noodlestopshop_ hey! I hope you’re doing okay and I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had problems with the application.

First of all I completely agree with Anastasia, the reference is important! It’s definitely worth your time to chase up on that.

Secondly, I was in your position having one main university that I was set on going to, but like you, I was wise enough to have back ups just in case. One of the reasons I achieved entry to my desired university was the support I had during my application process. My teachers at the time in Sixth form read over my personal statement and helped me to amend it, they also provided lovely references for me.
Also when I applied, the entry requirements were slightly more flexible due to Covid.

I would advise you to think carefully about all of your options; if you have applied to two places that you are fairly confident you wouldn’t actually go to or enjoy, then you have wasted two choices. I was guilty of this myself but fortunate enough to have the circumstances be in my favour. In hindsight, I would always suggest to prepare for the worst, but plan for the best.
That means that prepare to take seriously each option, which means give your portfolios to them. If you don’t do feel inclined, consider applying to different places.

Depending on where you want to go and what you want to do, if I may (shamelessly) make a suggestion, my university is great. It is in Central London, offers a wide range of interdisciplinary courses, bespoke 1-1 tuition, and a small friendly community.

https://www.nulondon.ac.uk/

Please let me know how the application goes- wishing you the very best.

Lana :smile:
Original post by NULondon Lana
@noodlestopshop_ hey! I hope you’re doing okay and I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had problems with the application.

First of all I completely agree with Anastasia, the reference is important! It’s definitely worth your time to chase up on that.

Secondly, I was in your position having one main university that I was set on going to, but like you, I was wise enough to have back ups just in case. One of the reasons I achieved entry to my desired university was the support I had during my application process. My teachers at the time in Sixth form read over my personal statement and helped me to amend it, they also provided lovely references for me.
Also when I applied, the entry requirements were slightly more flexible due to Covid.

I would advise you to think carefully about all of your options; if you have applied to two places that you are fairly confident you wouldn’t actually go to or enjoy, then you have wasted two choices. I was guilty of this myself but fortunate enough to have the circumstances be in my favour. In hindsight, I would always suggest to prepare for the worst, but plan for the best.
That means that prepare to take seriously each option, which means give your portfolios to them. If you don’t do feel inclined, consider applying to different places.

Depending on where you want to go and what you want to do, if I may (shamelessly) make a suggestion, my university is great. It is in Central London, offers a wide range of interdisciplinary courses, bespoke 1-1 tuition, and a small friendly community.

https://www.nulondon.ac.uk/

Please let me know how the application goes- wishing you the very best.

Lana :smile:

Thank you for your reply! The problem I have with my application is that my course is so specific and not many places offer it. The universities that offer it - some are really good whereas the others just don't seem to offer the modules you would expect for it.

I'm currently on a gap year and I have my results - the unis require 112-120 UCAS points/BBC-BBB and I achieved three A stars, do you think the fact that I overshoot the grades required it would give me a better chance? The course only states grades as a requirement.
Original post by noodlestopshop_
Hi all!

Hello!
Do reach out to your college and ask for references, as they will be able to do the references for you. If you are concerned with the teachers not remembering you enough to write a detailed reference - consider contacting the teachers regarding your reference and discuss it with them. For example, I told my teachers about my personal interests and aspirations, so in their reference they were able to link my good performance in certain topics to my motivation and interest in that subject area. If they don't remember you well, they would be relying only on your academic records, and they are unlikely to be negative in the reference. However, if you want your references to have more individuality, ask your college/teachers if you can discuss the reference contents. Obviously you cannot tell them what to write, but having a chance to discuss it would give them more of an idea about you as a student and make it easier for them as well :smile:

Hope this helps!

Polina,
Lancaster University Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending