The Student Room Group

physics Isaac physics question

hi, I have been on this question for a while, Please help
"A box is dropped from an aeroplane 2000m high travelling horizontally at 100m/s. The box takes 20.2s to hit the ground. While the box speeds up vertically, it continues at 100m/s horizontally.
b) When the box hits the ground, what is the magnitude of the displacement of the box from the location it was released? i.e. how far is the box from the release point?
c) What is the angle between the horizontal and the displacement of the box from the location it was released? Give your answer to 3 significant figures."
Reply 1
Original post by epicgirl5643
hi, I have been on this question for a while, Please help
"A box is dropped from an aeroplane 2000m high travelling horizontally at 100m/s. The box takes 20.2s to hit the ground. While the box speeds up vertically, it continues at 100m/s horizontally.
b) When the box hits the ground, what is the magnitude of the displacement of the box from the location it was released? i.e. how far is the box from the release point?
c) What is the angle between the horizontal and the displacement of the box from the location it was released? Give your answer to 3 significant figures."

For b) is should just be pythagoras on the x-y displacements and for c) it should just be simple trig based on the x-y displacements used in b). A sketch usually helps so upload what youve tried?
Reply 2
Thank you so much, I have completed the question now. You were very helpful

Original post by mqb2766
For b) is should just be pythagoras on the x-y displacements and for c) it should just be simple trig based on the x-y displacements used in b). A sketch usually helps so upload what youve tried?

Quick Reply

Latest