The Student Room Group

Graphic calculator?

Hi, what could I actually use a graphic calculator for that I couldn’t do using an online one (apart from in exams of course)?

Is it worth getting one?

Is it necessary for Further maths A-level?

thanks in advance!
They are mildly helpful for visualising a few problems such as trig identities & polar graphs.

They aren’t really a significant advantage at A-levels & most of them are banned are banned at university anyway.

A standard casio calculator is fine, the exams aren’t testing people’s ability to press buttons, but ability to solve mathematics problems.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
They are mildly helpful for visualising a few problems such as trig identities & polar graphs.

They aren’t really a significant advantage at A-levels & most of them are banned are banned at university anyway.

A standard casio calculator is fine, the exams aren’t testing people’s ability to press buttons, but ability to solve mathematics problems.

Great thanks!

So all of that is possible on an online website like geogebra anyway?
Original post by subbhy
Great thanks!

Never come across that website but using web tools it is certainly possible to replicate the functionality of a graphic calculator and far far more.

frankly with matlab, wolfram alpha etc. it’s much easier then using a graphics calculator (they just require a computer).
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Never come across that website but using web tools it is certainly possible to replicate the functionality of a graphic calculator and far far more.

frankly with matlab, wolfram alpha etc. it’s much easier then using a graphics calculator (they just require a computer).

Thanks a lot
Reply 5
Original post by mnot

Most grahic calculators are NOT banned at A level - there's also nothing to stp you using them at uni except in exams.
Reply 6
Original post by subbhy
Great thanks!

I find them useful - especially when learning graphs and checking answers. Most are allowed in A level exams and there's nothing to stop you using them at uni - just not in exams. [I teach Maths]

Quick Reply

Latest