The Student Room Group

Open Days

I’m in Y12 now. Is it best to attend a university open day this year or wait until next year?
Attend some now I did my first ones in y12 then went to applicant and offer holders days in y13.
Original post by ajsneddy
I’m in Y12 now. Is it best to attend a university open day this year or wait until next year?

Hi @ajsneddy,

It's great that you're thinking about this now!

It would definitely be beneficial for you to start attending open days now, as it may make the process of applying and deciding less stressful later on. It would help you to get a feel for the campuses, facilities, and courses, and you can then narrow it down and attend applicant and offer holder days in Year 13.

Attending open days now will also give you so much more time to schedule in each visit, instead of becoming stressed and finding it difficult to work around your studies and free time in the summer or Year 13.

Best of luck and I hope this helps,
Isabella

Hi @ajsneddy,

It's great to hear you're starting to think about which uni you want to go to!

I think the summer of y12 is a great opportunity to visit unis as they tend to hold open days over the summer / early September whilst students are off campus on their summer break. At Loughborough this also means you can see inside some of the accommodation which you can't do if you visit during term time and will probably be the case for other unis too. It also will help you narrow down your choices before you send of you application at the beginning of y13. Once you receive offers you will be able to go to offer holder days to discover more about the course you've applied for and have a chance to visit the unis again to help you decide where you want to go. I found visiting the unis I wanted to go to really helpful as it helped to see where I felt I fitted in and could see myself living and studying for the next 3+ years.

I hope this helped and if you have any questions just let me know :smile:

Jess

Hi there @ajsneddy,

How are you? :smile:

Brilliant to hear that you are thinking about attending Open Days! I think attending some this year is a great idea as it will give you a head start in narrowing down your choices.

Open Days are a great way for you to get a feel for a University and can be helpful in choosing your course. You will have the chance to speak to tutors getting a taste of the classes you might have. Speaking to current students will allow you to get a glimpse of what life is really like at University.

There are a few Open Days running at this time of year as well as in summer time, we have an Open Day this Sunday 8 October at our Preston campus. From personal experience attending Open Days is really useful in discovering which University is right for you. You will be spending the next few years at University so it's important that you explore your options.

Wishing you all the best, :smile:
Sarah

Hi!

Lots of university open days often end up falling on the same weekends making it hard to visit all the universities you want to in just the summer or just the autumn. Visiting a few now or in the summer and a few at the start of year 13 will make it easier to plan your visits, especially if the unis you are looking at are spread across the country!

Good luck with your A-Levels and university application!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Hi @ajsneddy,

As others have mentioned some university open days fall on the same day. I would suggest going to see universities closer to you first and prioritise which ones you want to see across year 12 and 13.

Before you attend an open day, try make some time to create an itinerary so you get a chance to explore the area around your university (especially important for campus universities). I would also suggest making a list of things you want from your university and course aswell as reflecting on each place afterwards. If you have the chance to discuss it with friends and family that would be helpful too but do remember the university you choose to go to is for YOU not them.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Hi @ajsneddy
I think it is a good idea to start attending university open days now. It is definitely worth it to create an itinerary and plan of what you want to see and do for the day, as open days tend to be very hectic.
Also, it is helpful to create a Pros and Cons list for the universities you end up visiting to help you make a decision on what university is the best fit for you.
It could range from things like campus vs city university, to the course you wish to study and how much you like the modules they offer and maybe also the accommodation types you most prefer.
Do not feel pressured to attend as many open days as you possibly can. Make a list of the ones you feel drawn to the most and work around them.
Good luck in your search!

Glory.
Lancaster University Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending