The Student Room Group

Help urgent mathematics

Help I don’t get which solution is the answer for part b…
The graph intersect (meet) each other at one point when x equals -3/2a which I understand.
But for the other solutions I don’t know whichside to make negative or positiveIMG_2573.jpeg
(edited 11 months ago)
Hello, can I do this one for you?
Reply 2
Just be explicit and write down the intervals and the functions on each interval so
x < -5a/3, so |x| = -x, |3x+5a| = -(3x+5a)
-5a/3 < x < 0, so ...
x > 0, so ...

Its pretty much what the sketch shows and what theyve done.
Reply 3
Original post by johnny_kyalo
Hello, can I do this one for you?

Hi, yes plzzz
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Just be explicit and write down the intervals and the functions on each interval so
x < -5a/3, so |x| = -x, |3x+5a| = -(3x+5a)
-5a/3 < x < 0, so ...
x > 0, so ...

Its pretty much what the sketch shows and what theyve done.

So are there 2 solutions
Reply 5
The sketch pretty much shows that. You have 4 half lines (each function is composed of 2 half lines) and if you understand the sketch (the x and 3x terms are important) then you understand that there are 2 solutions.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
The sketch pretty much shows that. You have 4 half lines (each function is composed of 2 half lines) and if you understand the sketch (the x and 3x terms are important) then you understand that there are 2 solutions.

So do I make either both sides of the equation positive (or negative both sides as it will give same ans) and then the other eq one side should be negative and other positive… then solve?
Reply 7
Youve got the working and #3 describes which halflines you use on each interval. You have to be systematic about it. Then when you solve, you have to check the solution lies in that interval.

If youre "guessing" signs for the |.| arguments, then youre unlikely to check the solution lies in the appropriate interval which is important as youd get one extraneous solution in this case. Do you undestand the sketch? If not, try and draw it accurately and think about how the intervals, half lines and hence the points of intersection.

Quick Reply

Latest