The Student Room Group

Official Economics Applicants Thread for 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonymoussbbq
congrats! what are ur predicted grades? and when did u apply

Thanks!

They're 4A* and I applied on the 26th September.
Original post by Anonymous410
Thanks!

Congrats on ur offer! what subjects do you do?
Reply 42
Original post by Anonymous410
Thanks!

Hiii! Firstly, CONGRATSSSS!
May I ask if you are a home student or international?
Original post by BenRyan99
I'm not really sure there was actually a question in your response, but just some reflections on what you said. First, to me your course choices don't look particularly well diversified across the grade spectrum (I'm assuming your grades are predicted rather than achieved). I'm not sure in IB terms, but they're all A*AA and above, which is quite risky. Would it not make sense to cut one of Ox/LSE/Warwick choices to get one below the A*AA and above range?

Secondly, I don't quite understand your comment about being put off by the mathematical emphasis of Bristol's course if you're also applying to Bath and Notts (which are very similar to Bristol in terms of mathematical emphasis), not to mention LSE which is probably the second most mathematically rigorous straight economics course in Europe. The logic seems a bit inconsistent. If you're willing to study economics at LSE, the mathematical focus at any of Bristol/Bath/Notts shouldn't be off putting.

Third, given LSE and Oxford's large weighting towards the personal statement, especially the former, I imagine it's going to be quite difficult to satisfy the admissions tutors if you're also applying for an EPP course. I'm sure it's possible, but given all your other options are econ, is applying to EPP worth potentially risking your chances at LSE and Oxford?

Fourth, if you do want a good economics course that places less emphasis on maths, Durham's BA Economics course might be a better option than one of Bristol/Bath/Notts. It has a similar quantity of maths classes, but is much lighter on statistics classes than the aforementioned courses.

Thank you for your insights. Out of interest - you mentioned that "LSE ... is probably the second most mathematically rigorous straight economics course in Europe" - which one will be 1st most mathsy one in Europe in your opinion?
Original post by awalkinthepark
Thank you for your insights. Out of interest - you mentioned that "LSE ... is probably the second most mathematically rigorous straight economics course in Europe" - which one will be 1st most mathsy one in Europe in your opinion?

Generally I'd say Cambridge's BA Economics, then LSE's BSc Economics. But courses and syllabuses change over time so I wouldn't place much emphasis on it. Think one could also make a reasonable argument that LSE > Cambridge for maths in a straight economics degree, I don't think it's objective or anything.

There's lots of mathematically rigorous courses in the UK and on the continent to choose from if that's what you're interested in.
Original post by hkjsdghjkasbn
Congrats on ur offer! what subjects do you do?

Thanks - Maths, FM, Econ & Phys.
Original post by honbun246
Hiii! Firstly, CONGRATSSSS!
May I ask if you are a home student or international?

Thanks! I'm Home btw.
Original post by rath05
i’m studying at qmul rn, the fact i’m in here reapplying should tell u all u need to know ☠️☠️. but nah it’s a nice uni, good campus n content isn’t too challenging, im just reapplying cos it was my insurance choice and i really wanna go to my dream uni. the locations alright, fairly close to central so its calm

Which is your dream Uni ? Where are you applying to this time?
Reply 48
has anyone applied to Edinburgh if so have you heard back?
Original post by epanglea
has anyone applied to Edinburgh if so have you heard back?
Still on hold at Bristol and havent heard back from Edin yet.
I applied for Economics Mid-December. Heard back from Surrey and Bath and got rejected by LSE. Warwick and Durham have been radio silence since then. Do those two usually give rejections after offers?
Reply 51
Original post by ccharlieclarke
Still on hold at Bristol and havent heard back from Edin yet.
Are you RUK, Scotland or international?
Original post by lange schlange
I applied for Economics Mid-December. Heard back from Surrey and Bath and got rejected by LSE. Warwick and Durham have been radio silence since then. Do those two usually give rejections after offers?
Durham are notoriously late replying still waiting for economics here . The offer rate for economics there is very low , lowest of all their courses so not holding out much hope .
Original post by Laburnum1
Durham are notoriously late replying still waiting for economics here . The offer rate for economics there is very low , lowest of all their courses so not holding out much hope .
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm not expecting any more offers but a response would still be nice. Have you applied to Warwick as well?
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm not expecting any more offers but a response would still be nice. Have you applied to Warwick as well?
No didn’t apply to Warwick have offers for Bath Exeter Sheffield and Birmingham .
what are ur predicteds?

Just got rejected by Durham LOL😍
Original post by johnpork123
Just got rejected by Durham LOL😍
Oh no I probably will to !
Oh no I probably will to !

Nahhh keep your hopes up. Apparently my grades weren’t as good as other applicants even though I meet the requirements lol. Maybe just raise the grade requirement then Durham xxx
Original post by johnpork123
Nahhh keep your hopes up. Apparently my grades weren’t as good as other applicants even though I meet the requirements lol. Maybe just raise the grade requirement then Durham xxx
I am predicted 3x A* in maths fm and econ and was rejected

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending