The Student Room Group

Official Economics Applicants Thread for 2024 Entry

hey! im applying for economics this year and just thought id start this thread x

stats:
a levels- maths, further maths, physics, economics,
predicted grades: a*a*a*a*
gcses: 9999999999
choices: cambridge, lse, warwick, ucl, bath
wheres everyone applying?

cambridge economics thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7406502#post98852439
lse economics thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7406508

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Broadly, I'm applying for Economics (+some course variations here n there!)

stats:
IB - 43/45 (777 HL: Maths AA, Economics, Geography)
GCSE's - 999999988887

Choices:
- Oxford: Economics and Management
- LSE: Economics
- Warwick: Economics, Psychology & Philosophy (EPP)
- TBC: (Either Nottingham or Bristol Economics)
- Insurance TBC: (Either KCL E&M or Bath Economics)

As a side note, does anyone have any information regarding the quality of the Economics departments at Nottingham vs Bristol and for Bath vs KCL?
Namely, KCL, because I've heard their Economics department is weaker than Bath but that their reputation/brand and opportunities afforded from being in London sort of offset that difference. (Or does it not make that much of a difference in the end.)
Reply 2
Original post by DaliMD

stats:
GCSE's - 999999988887

Choices:

As a side note, does anyone have any information regarding the quality of the Economics departments at Nottingham vs Bristol and for Bath vs KCL?
Namely, KCL, because I've heard their Economics department is weaker than Bath but that their reputation/brand and opportunities afforded from being in London sort of offset that difference. (Or does it not make that much of a difference in the end.)

ur stats r soo good! where r u applying from? are you writing the tsa
ik that bath is top ten for economics, ive not heard kcl as being as good, so even tho bath maynot be london (or russell group even) , its one of the best in the uk for econ for sure
Reply 3
hiya im applying for econ as well!

predicted A*A*A* with gcse grades of 999998887
applying to:
oxford (econ and management)
bath, warwick, lancaster and exeter for pure econ!
Original post by DaliMD

stats:
GCSE's - 999999988887

Choices:

I think your understanding is largely correct. Bath has a much stronger undergrad economics course than KCL, but King's probably has better whole-university rep and location benefits. So to me it comes down to do you want to live in London or not (London is busy, expensive and not really a fantastic student city to many, but good for networking/insight days/interviews), and whether you think you may actually want to be an economist when you graduate or do a MSc - here Bath's better course would be beneficial, but if this isn't your goal and you want to do something else like finance/consulting/etc then an argument could be made that KCL might be the better option.

Re Bristol vs Notts econ departments, while Notts' is stronger, this largely only comes into play at postgrad level. For an undergrad degree, the quality of courses at Bristol/Bath/Notts/Durham/Edinburgh is very similar. So I personally wouldn't base the choice between the two on quality of econ departments, instead think about the module structures (which has modules that interest you more) and which city you'd prefer.
Reply 5
Original post by econ11234
ur stats r soo good! where r u applying from? are you writing the tsa
ik that bath is top ten for economics, ive not heard kcl as being as good, so even tho bath maynot be london (or russell group even) , its one of the best in the uk for econ for sure

Thank you for your input! I’m not sure wym by you asking where I’m applying from (I effectively live in London if that’s what you mean). But yes I am taking the TSA Section 1.
Reply 6
Original post by BenRyan99
I think your understanding is largely correct. Bath has a much stronger undergrad economics course than KCL, but King's probably has better whole-university rep and location benefits. So to me it comes down to do you want to live in London or not (London is busy, expensive and not really a fantastic student city to many, but good for networking/insight days/interviews), and whether you think you may actually want to be an economist when you graduate or do a MSc - here Bath's better course would be beneficial, but if this isn't your goal and you want to do something else like finance/consulting/etc then an argument could be made that KCL might be the better option.

Re Bristol vs Notts econ departments, while Notts' is stronger, this largely only comes into play at postgrad level. For an undergrad degree, the quality of courses at Bristol/Bath/Notts/Durham/Edinburgh is very similar. So I personally wouldn't base the choice between the two on quality of econ departments, instead think about the module structures (which has modules that interest you more) and which city you'd prefer.

I see. Speaking to someone I know doing Economics at Bristol I’m hearing a lot of the things you’ve said, echoed through him so I feel more reassured.

Although I feel I can handle the mathematical nature of Bristol’s economics, ultimately I felt put off by its heavy emphasis within the course. I’m sure I would have similar opportunities to pursue more quantitative economics at Nottingham but say that I wished to pursue a different route, I wouldn’t want to be undertaking “unnecessary” maths irrelevant to what I want to go into.

I think my final choices will be (in order of personal course desirability)

- Nottingham: Economics
- Bath: Economics (Insurance)
Original post by DaliMD
I see. Speaking to someone I know doing Economics at Bristol I’m hearing a lot of the things you’ve said, echoed through him so I feel more reassured.

Although I feel I can handle the mathematical nature of Bristol’s economics, ultimately I felt put off by its heavy emphasis within the course. I’m sure I would have similar opportunities to pursue more quantitative economics at Nottingham but say that I wished to pursue a different route, I wouldn’t want to be undertaking “unnecessary” maths irrelevant to what I want to go into.

I think my final choices will be (in order of personal course desirability)

- Nottingham: Economics
- Bath: Economics (Insurance)

I'm not really sure there was actually a question in your response, but just some reflections on what you said. First, to me your course choices don't look particularly well diversified across the grade spectrum (I'm assuming your grades are predicted rather than achieved). I'm not sure in IB terms, but they're all A*AA and above, which is quite risky. Would it not make sense to cut one of Ox/LSE/Warwick choices to get one below the A*AA and above range?

Secondly, I don't quite understand your comment about being put off by the mathematical emphasis of Bristol's course if you're also applying to Bath and Notts (which are very similar to Bristol in terms of mathematical emphasis), not to mention LSE which is probably the second most mathematically rigorous straight economics course in Europe. The logic seems a bit inconsistent. If you're willing to study economics at LSE, the mathematical focus at any of Bristol/Bath/Notts shouldn't be off putting.

Third, given LSE and Oxford's large weighting towards the personal statement, especially the former, I imagine it's going to be quite difficult to satisfy the admissions tutors if you're also applying for an EPP course. I'm sure it's possible, but given all your other options are econ, is applying to EPP worth potentially risking your chances at LSE and Oxford?

Fourth, if you do want a good economics course that places less emphasis on maths, Durham's BA Economics course might be a better option than one of Bristol/Bath/Notts. It has a similar quantity of maths classes, but is much lighter on statistics classes than the aforementioned courses.
Reply 8
Original post by BenRyan99
I'm not really sure there was actually a question in your response, but just some reflections on what you said. First, to me your course choices don't look particularly well diversified across the grade spectrum (I'm assuming your grades are predicted rather than achieved). I'm not sure in IB terms, but they're all A*AA and above, which is quite risky. Would it not make sense to cut one of Ox/LSE/Warwick choices to get one below the A*AA and above range?

Secondly, I don't quite understand your comment about being put off by the mathematical emphasis of Bristol's course if you're also applying to Bath and Notts (which are very similar to Bristol in terms of mathematical emphasis), not to mention LSE which is probably the second most mathematically rigorous straight economics course in Europe. The logic seems a bit inconsistent. If you're willing to study economics at LSE, the mathematical focus at any of Bristol/Bath/Notts shouldn't be off putting.

Third, given LSE and Oxford's large weighting towards the personal statement, especially the former, I imagine it's going to be quite difficult to satisfy the admissions tutors if you're also applying for an EPP course. I'm sure it's possible, but given all your other options are econ, is applying to EPP worth potentially risking your chances at LSE and Oxford?

Fourth, if you do want a good economics course that places less emphasis on maths, Durham's BA Economics course might be a better option than one of Bristol/Bath/Notts. It has a similar quantity of maths classes, but is much lighter on statistics classes than the aforementioned courses.

1. I think my entry requirements are quite diversified. There are slightly more nuances for IB requirements than with A-levels, so I don't really blame you for thinking my choices are quite risky. The only contentious grade in my opinion is the 7 in HL Maths, but I have enough options around that that will take me if I don't get that grade. For reference...
- Oxford: 39 (766, 6 HL Maths)
- LSE: 38 (766, 7 HL Maths)
- Warwick: 38 (4 HL Maths)
- Nottingham: 38 (5 HL Maths)
- Bath: 36 (766, 6 HL Maths)

2. I meant that for Nottingham, there are fewer mathematical modules that are compulsory to the course than with Bristol's course. Since I do view them as quite similar universities, I weighted Nottingham's course over Bristol's for not being so constricted with mathematical modules, therefore able to take a wider range of optional modules. But I am still keen to apply to LSE given that I view it as a 'better' university than Nottingham or Bristol, which outweighs the mathematical nature of LSE's course in my opinion. (Might not see it as rational, but that's my logic)

3. My personal statement is focused around Economics and Management (more Econ than management). Aside from talking about behavioural economics, management also lends itself quite nicely to psychology, so I don't think it's taken away focus towards Oxford and LSE. I shared your concern, so I went around asking other EPP students, and they said it was fine, so I'm fairly confident I won't be put down by it.

4. I also looked into Durham for this reason, but as a university I preferred Nottingham and Bristol to Durham. Besides, Nottingham is slightly safer as a choice, given its lower maths req and the fact that their offer rate is higher.
Original post by DaliMD
1. I think my entry requirements are quite diversified. There are slightly more nuances for IB requirements than with A-levels, so I don't really blame you for thinking my choices are quite risky. The only contentious grade in my opinion is the 7 in HL Maths, but I have enough options around that that will take me if I don't get that grade. For reference...
- Oxford: 39 (766, 6 HL Maths)
- LSE: 38 (766, 7 HL Maths)
- Warwick: 38 (4 HL Maths)
- Nottingham: 38 (5 HL Maths)
- Bath: 36 (766, 6 HL Maths)

2. I meant that for Nottingham, there are fewer mathematical modules that are compulsory to the course than with Bristol's course. Since I do view them as quite similar universities, I weighted Nottingham's course over Bristol's for not being so constricted with mathematical modules, therefore able to take a wider range of optional modules. But I am still keen to apply to LSE given that I view it as a 'better' university than Nottingham or Bristol, which outweighs the mathematical nature of LSE's course in my opinion. (Might not see it as rational, but that's my logic)

3. My personal statement is focused around Economics and Management (more Econ than management). Aside from talking about behavioural economics, management also lends itself quite nicely to psychology, so I don't think it's taken away focus towards Oxford and LSE. I shared your concern, so I went around asking other EPP students, and they said it was fine, so I'm fairly confident I won't be put down by it.

4. I also looked into Durham for this reason, but as a university I preferred Nottingham and Bristol to Durham. Besides, Nottingham is slightly safer as a choice, given its lower maths req and the fact that their offer rate is higher.

Good to see that you've carefully considered your applications. My reflections weren't criticisms, just prompts in case you hadn't thought about some of the factors at play.

On the first point, yes it looks like there's more nuance for IB grades than a level. You'll have a better idea of how attainable these grades are for you than anyone else on TSR so as long as you think it's achievable and realistic then looks fine to me. On the second, I get your point about compulsory vs optional maths and that LSE is good enough of an opportunity to outweigh the quant concerns. Only thing to point out on the off-chance you hadn't considered it, the module info on Bristol/Notts websites don't give a good insight into the quantity of maths involved in modules that aren't obviously just maths. For example, it may be the case that Notts' compulsory micro/macro modules are more quantitative than Bristol's micro/macro modules, same can apply to the optional modules. I don't think there's a way to really find out the differences at your level as an applicant, but just something to consider - the level of maths between courses can be quite opaque, especially as school level individuals haven't covered this level of content so can't really distinguish what's very quant and what's not from the syllabuses online.

On the third point, you say you've spoken to EPP students who've said it was fine for them. But my concern was more about getting offers from Ox/LSE with a slightly mixed PS - not that you wouldn't from Warwick. And presumably these Warwick students wouldn't know as it they had offers from Ox/LSE they probably wouldn't be doing EPP at Warwick. Anyhow, I think it's possible to do a PS covering it all, just that it needs extra care and attention. On the fourth, fair enough, makes sense to me.
Reply 10
Has anyone got any offers for economics (specifically for bath or Exeter)
Reply 11
Original post by lilith.
Has anyone got any offers for economics (specifically for bath or Exeter)

no nothing yet!
Reply 12
kcl rejection 💔 achieved a*a*ab, didn't think they reject this quickly
Reply 13
Original post by rathusan
kcl rejection 💔 achieved a*a*ab, didn't think they reject this quickly

Hi when did u apply ?
Reply 14
Original post by lilith.
Hi when did u apply ?

yo, i forgot my log in details to that account lol but i applied on Nov 3
hey, I am also applying for econ this year

stats:
a levels - maths, econ, german, EPQ
predicted grades: A*A*AA
gcses: 99999999886
choices: Cambridge (already rejected lol), LSE (AAA because I applied for Econ &Econ history), UCL, idk about the other 2 - probably Durham and QMUL

I am really unsure about my other 2 options, does anyone have any advice on where I can apply? Thanks in advance!!
Reply 16
Original post by maybbeeeeeeeeee
hey, I am also applying for econ this year

stats:
a levels - maths, econ, german, EPQ
predicted grades: A*A*AA
gcses: 99999999886
choices: Cambridge (already rejected lol), LSE (AAA because I applied for Econ &Econ history), UCL, idk about the other 2 - probably Durham and QMUL

I am really unsure about my other 2 options, does anyone have any advice on where I can apply? Thanks in advance!!

i’m studying at qmul rn, the fact i’m in here reapplying should tell u all u need to know ☠️☠️. but nah it’s a nice uni, good campus n content isn’t too challenging, im just reapplying cos it was my insurance choice and i really wanna go to my dream uni. the locations alright, fairly close to central so its calm
Just got a Econ offer for Bath 😄
Reply 18
Original post by jobajojoba
Just got a Econ offer for Bath 😄

hi! when did u apply
Original post by lilith.

hi! when did u apply

26th September

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending