The Student Room Group

HELP!!!

Hiya guys,

I’m 22. I left school back in 2017 with 5 GCSES above a C including English and maths. I decided not to pursue education at the time and didn’t go to college or sixth form.

I now want to get back into education to further my skills. Ideally a course in optometry.

Would it be better for me to do a undergrad foundation degree. Am I also able to get funding to help with costs?
Original post by MrEducation
Hiya guys,

I’m 22. I left school back in 2017 with 5 GCSES above a C including English and maths. I decided not to pursue education at the time and didn’t go to college or sixth form.

I now want to get back into education to further my skills. Ideally a course in optometry.

Would it be better for me to do a undergrad foundation degree. Am I also able to get funding to help with costs?

You first need level 3 qualifications - A Levels, level 3 BTEC, T levels, access to higher diploma
See https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/
Access to higher diploma
Reply 2
Hiya guys,

You can apply to US universities with only your GSCEs
UK universities require you to complete your Alevels too.
Not sure about Canadian universities but I think they do accept gsces only or atleast 4 subjects in AS level.

With any university you choose, you can always apply for financial aid. You can also search for different scholarships being offered at undergrad.
Hiya guys,

Hi ,

You are best contacting the University you are interested in going to and asking what they requirements are, some universities courses offer a foundation year so you wont have to go and do your A-levels first. It would probably be beneficial to go to an open day and speak to the academics, you will also be able to look around the university and speak to students. They will probably have someone from their funding team their too, so you would be able to speak about funding. You could also call student finance England\Wales etc and they will be able to help with any funding questions.

Good luck!

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending