The Student Room Group

Struggling to fit in sport team

I am a fresher and I joined one of the recreational football teams recently. Teammates were really normal and disclaimer: they did not do anything wrong. However, its something about the environment that really put me off, I am not the best player and I admit that it may be because I haven't been in a team environment for a few years but everything just seems so.....straight? macho?

I hope I dont sound hypocritical but i dont know why this is making me sad, it feels like i'll never fit in with my teammates, I try my best to engage but sometimes I just cant force myself to understand their jokes. I'm worried about participating in the socials. Any gay team athletes has any tips? University has just been quite overwhelming at times. Thanks.
Assuming your Uni has a LGBT society, I'd suggest making contact with them as they'll be well-placed to help you settle in and you may find that they have solutions on the ground that others won't realise exist.
Original post by dioudmouf
I am a fresher and I joined one of the recreational football teams recently. Teammates were really normal and disclaimer: they did not do anything wrong. However, its something about the environment that really put me off, I am not the best player and I admit that it may be because I haven't been in a team environment for a few years but everything just seems so.....straight? macho?

I hope I dont sound hypocritical but i dont know why this is making me sad, it feels like i'll never fit in with my teammates, I try my best to engage but sometimes I just cant force myself to understand their jokes. I'm worried about participating in the socials. Any gay team athletes has any tips? University has just been quite overwhelming at times. Thanks.

Hi there ! @dioudmouf , I'm sorry to hear about the experience you are currently having at your university especially with your sports team because that is were you should feel a sense of comradery and belonging. It is important that universities promote inclusivity and create an environment that ensures students do not feel the way that you do. One of the reasons I study with DMU is because of the culture and ethos the university upholds. The culture is reflected in the diversity of its student in race , religion and sexuality amongst other things.
Try to make the most out of a bad situation , be open to making friends outside of your sports team and maybe join societies that you are interested in.
I hope this helps .
Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University
Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling this way.

If it makes you feel better, there are definitely others who are feeling and experiencing the same thing as you are, but probably in a differenc sport or environment.

I don't mean to sound discouraging but please don't force yourself to do anything you're not comfortable with. You tried approaching your teammates, it didn't work and you feel odd, it's okay, these things happen, but maybe it's a sign or opportunity to try something else.

Remember that the semester just started so there is still time for you to try new things, join other clubs and meet numerous diverse people.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending