The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni Accommodation

I'm highly considering Lancaster as my 2nd choice to Leeds. I'm planning to join this October to do a degree in Marketing.

I want to be involved in the football society or team, I'm not the best player but I grew up loving and watching the sport + played a fair bit last year for my 6th form

I want to consider Fylde because I hear it's sporty but also more expensive than somewhere like Pendle or Grizedale.

I'm not a massive party-goer or anything like that but I'd be open to trying something new ig although I'm not the most sociably competent
Original post by Iamjoshh
I'm highly considering Lancaster as my 2nd choice to Leeds. I'm planning to join this October to do a degree in Marketing.

I want to be involved in the football society or team, I'm not the best player but I grew up loving and watching the sport + played a fair bit last year for my 6th form

I want to consider Fylde because I hear it's sporty but also more expensive than somewhere like Pendle or Grizedale.

I'm not a massive party-goer or anything like that but I'd be open to trying something new ig although I'm not the most sociably competent

Hey!

I'm Oliver and currently a 4th year at Lancaster and as a proud member of Pendle college I'd definitely say we're the best :smile:
Joking aside however every college offers it's own unique experience and I've heard amazing things about them all, especially all the different welcome week activities!
Fylde is definitely more known for it's sports and hosts an amazing spots bar although anyone from any college can go! Every college also has a number of football and other sports teams for both serious and casual players so there is great sports opportunities in every college. These college teams will compete against each other throughout the year and even play in varsity matches against each other at the end of each year!
One thing that's also worth looking at is the location of each college, some people prefer to live closer to their department while others enjoy having that work-life separation.

I hope that helps and feel free to ask me any other questions :smile:

Oliver (student ambassador)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Iamjoshh

Hi there!

That's great that you're considering Lancaster! Yes Fylde college is considered the "sporty college", probably because of the sports bar like Oliver said. I stayed in Furness accommodation in first year, which is directly next to Fylde, and I can say that the location is great - close to the centre of campus so you can walk to lectures in 5-10 mins and near the duck pond and woodland trail too.

As for the prices, Fylde ensuite rooms are no more expensive than any other college's self-catered ensuite rooms. They are all currently the standard price of £191.10 a week (with a few exceptions). This may change though depending on which year you apply. Fylde also has some rooms in George Fox which are slightly cheaper because they are older.

Here's a link to the accommodation page if you'd like more info. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a price comparison between all the colleges and the different types of accommodation they offer.
Undergraduate - Lancaster University

Also here's the Fylde college page: Prospective Students - Lancaster University

Hope that's helpful!
Chloe
Lancaster Student Ambassador
So where do I learn more about the “culture” of the colleges? So that I can consider what might be a good fit?
Original post by Anonymous #1
So where do I learn more about the “culture” of the colleges? So that I can consider what might be a good fit?

Hi!

It is honestly quite difficult to describe the culture of each college: while each has its "reputation", they all provide the same sense of community and level of support. Perhaps one good way to learn more about the colleges it to check out the college pages on the university website.
This website also has a good overview of each college: https://escapecampus.co.uk/lancaster-university-colleges/
Or here is this The Tab article written by Lancaster Students themselves (take this information source with a grain of salt, as it is written in a joking manner): https://thetab.com/uk/lancaster/2023/05/30/your-guide-to-the-lancaster-colleges-based-on-vibes-stereotypes-and-proximity-to-greggs-38116

All colleges provide similar events and facilities: social events, sports teams, a college bar and a study room, etc. I think the main and most important differences are therefore the type of accommodation, prices and location. The colleges welcome anyone, regardless of their interests and personality, so you're likely to fit in no matter your choice :smile:

Hope that helps and best of luck with deciding!

Polina
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi,
I'm currently in my 3rd year and a member of Pendle college. As other people have said each college is like a smaller community on campus and offer a range of services and events. Different colleges organize different events thought the year for instance Pendle does a lot of live music events, Furness does a very popular weekly quiz, but all do lots of events throughout the year especially welcome week. So my best way advice to see what events the colleges get up to through the year is to look at there Instagram or Facebook page as they will have posted about all the things that regularly happen in each of the colleges, you should be able to find them by searching 'Pendle college Lancaster' for instance.
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending