The Student Room Group

Industry or abroad?

I want to do a computer science degree but im stuck between wanting to study a year abroad or do a placement year and work in Industry.
I'm aware of what skills i could obtain from both but im scared that if i pick one, i'll immediately regret not doing the other.
Industry could be great obviously for work experience and getting an idea of what sort of career i want but on the other hand- i love travelling and i dont want to miss out on an opportunity to go somewhere where i probably would never go after university.

Any tips/advice? I'm in such conflict rn rip lol
Original post by Anonymous
I want to do a computer science degree but im stuck between wanting to study a year abroad or do a placement year and work in Industry.
I'm aware of what skills i could obtain from both but im scared that if i pick one, i'll immediately regret not doing the other.
Industry could be great obviously for work experience and getting an idea of what sort of career i want but on the other hand- i love travelling and i dont want to miss out on an opportunity to go somewhere where i probably would never go after university.

It depends on the options available for both. You are right that a year abroad could bring opportunities but those would depend on the country.

If it is possible, you can have a flexible year where you apply for both then choose accordingly.

Hi,

These sound like such great opportunities, I can understand why you are having trouble choosing.

Have you spoken to staff that are in charge of both of these within computer science or more broadly? They might be able to talk you through benefits and drawbacks of both to help you make a more informed decision.

I did a year in industry for my course (Psychology) and found it really valuable in terms of learning new skills and confidence. Even though by the end of it I wanted to go into research instead of a clinical setting (where I did my placement) I found it helpful so your choice might depend on how sure you are about your career choice after graduation.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hey Anon!

Would you have a summer 'free' where you could explore something like internships? That could be a good way of building in both perhaps? :smile: If you're able to find a paid opportunity where you could work in the summer that might even help you with building up some savings for studying abroad?

I studied abroad with my degree but I'd done some work experience in the summers beforehand (some retail work but also an entry level internship) to help me save up some money to fund my travelling.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending